Training on the Trainer

splattingly

Aug 30, 2004
Hi Guys,

Just a few quick questions. I've just purchased the Cyclops Fluid Mag trainer and it seems to be OK. I'm slightly concerned about the wear and tear of my back tyre though - is it wise to use my expensive bike on it (only bike I have though!!). I can't really tell how much damage it would do though in the long term.

Also, what kind of training do most people do on their machines - it's hard to set it up so that it is 'realistic' to road training so I've just stuck to my HRM. It gets boring after 30mins also so how do other 'spice' up their workouts?!

Thanks

splattingly said:
Hi Guys,

Just a few quick questions. I've just purchased the Cyclops Fluid Mag trainer and it seems to be OK. I'm slightly concerned about the wear and tear of my back tyre though - is it wise to use my expensive bike on it (only bike I have though!!). I can't really tell how much damage it would do though in the long term.

Also, what kind of training do most people do on their machines - it's hard to set it up so that it is 'realistic' to road training so I've just stuck to my HRM. It gets boring after 30mins also so how do other 'spice' up their workouts?!

Thanks
Don't worry about the bike, the wear and tear is not an issue. However, the wear and tear on your rear tire may be an issue if you have expensive tires.
Get a cheap and relatively slick tire and put it on your rear wheel. If you have two sets of wheels, put it on the wheels you use for training.

splattingly said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks
Boredom is an issue. A couple of means of livening it up is to watch television/DVD's or listening to books on tape. Both make the time go by quicker, for sure.

I also use the Cylops fluid trainer and purchased the 5 versions of the Spinervals video. You definitely want to use a less expensive rear tire (I use a Vittoria Rubino, got it for $15.00) since it will wear out fast. I've had no problems when it comes to riding on the trainer and following one of the routines in Spinervals. They have 1hr to 1 and 45 min. training sessions. By the time you're done, you will definitely be out of breath. You will definitely have a quality workout on a trainer and when you follow a training session.

splattingly said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks

splattingly said:
It gets boring after 30mins also so how do other 'spice' up their workouts?!

Thanks
You can get a nice interval session done in a half hour. The only problem for me was having to buy another computer to have speed/cadence from the rear wheel. A cateye astrale 8 works great for me.

Lou.

Thanks for all the info guys - I think I'm going to have to buy a new rear wheel but ,although it may be a hassle to change it each time, I don't really want to destroy my decent one!

I use the Astrale 8 at the mo too

Thanks

splattingly said:
Thanks for all the info guys - I think I'm going to have to buy a new rear wheel but ,although it may be a hassle to change it each time, I don't really want to destroy my decent one!

Thanks
I bought a second hand mountain bike from the classifieds for $75, it saves me alot of time. I put a small tv directly in front, also added a fan there. I also hooked up a walmart computer and attached the wiring to the rear wheel. I have the seat post marked so that my wife & I can both use it. gills:)

splattingly said:

Thanks
I bought a bike that was in the paper for $75, it saves me a lot of time. I added a walmart computer and rigged it up for the back wheel. Had to mark the back seat post so that my wife & I could both work out on it. I've got a small tv with remote and a fan located in front. gills:)