Training or Tactics for my prob's

cmacblue42

Mar 1, 2006
Ok, I was doing a jr training race at the track yesterday (1 week before Jr states) and my 500 time was 42 seconds, which was ok considering I had raced the previous day, then stayed up till 2 am because of a wedding, and i am pretty sure i can get it down to around 40 or 41 for next week. This was around the same time as we expect some other top racers (nat. champs and podiumers) to get (38-40). My problems came in the scratch race and points race where attacks kept coming every lap (333m track) for the 6k scratch and the 6.6k (will be 15k) points. I got dropped in the scratch race and when i caught up, they attacked again and in the points, i attacked for the first sprint, then got blown by the field and same thing pretty much happened inthe points race except i anticipated the attacks in the final 2 laps and caught up.

So, i dont know if I am just worse right now (they all started their season in december and January, while i started like 5 weeks ago) or if I just need to be more pain tolerant and stay with them or if my tactics suck (I noticed a group of 3 guys from the same team were initiating attacks most of the time). Either way, i need help with training for stuff like this (so i dont get burned out and am not as tired) and with tactics (to anticipate attacks and suck wheels, the right wheels).

Thanks

How old are you? If below 15 then just ride for fun. Taking it too serious in training at a young age is not a good idea. Learn how to race. If there are stronger riders learn how to wear them out to even the score. In the points race I always tend to softpedal the first sprint and then either attack or at least put the acid on to test the fast sprinters. Positioning is vital on track. Try and get a good position in the field so you end up close to the front for sprints and don't have to expend too much energy just to get a good position and then have to try and sprint for points or places. Treat it like a game and every race becomes a learning opportunity.

Good luck

Hamish

fergie said:
How old are you? If below 15 then just ride for fun. Taking it too serious in training at a young age is not a good idea. Learn how to race. If there are stronger riders learn how to wear them out to even the score. In the points race I always tend to softpedal the first sprint and then either attack or at least put the acid on to test the fast sprinters. Positioning is vital on track. Try and get a good position in the field so you end up close to the front for sprints and don't have to expend too much energy just to get a good position and then have to try and sprint for points or places. Treat it like a game and every race becomes a learning opportunity.

Good luck

Hamish
I am in the 15-16 age group. Racing was never something I expected to wear me out, and I race for fun, but I also race to win. Whenever I go out to the track or race, i have a lot of fun whether I come in last or first, but first is more fun. I know you are saying that so i dont burn out, but honestly, road biking is the sport I chose for myself, without parent pressure, and a competitive edge makes it even more fun.

Anyway, i figured positioning was my biggest problem on the track, but how do you get yourself into that good position. I always find myself at the back, confused, and barley sucking a wheel after the first laps.

Always keep pushing forward in the bunch. When you take a turn look for the closest wheel to the front to drop in on. Even if it means making double changes at the front. Keeps you in the action and you don't run the risk of having to pass others if they can't hold a wheel when an attack goes.

On 333.33 to 400m tracks I look to be third at the bell, 2nd down the back straight and first on the line. This means being 5th at 2 to go, and 7th with 3 to go. This is dependant on the pace of the race. If the pace isn't on you may want to be in front winding it up progressively to deter anyone taking a flyer from the back.

Hamish

cmacblue42 said:
So, i dont know if I am just worse right now (they all started their season in december and January, while i started like 5 weeks ago) or if I just need to be more pain tolerant and stay with them or if my tactics suck (I noticed a group of 3 guys from the same team were initiating attacks most of the time). Either way, i need help with training for stuff like this (so i dont get burned out and am not as tired) and with tactics (to anticipate attacks and suck wheels, the right wheels).

Thanks
Mostly agree with Fergie with this one additional thing - if you're going to ask for advice, don't wait until one week before an event because there is virtually nothing that is going to help you improve significantly one week prior to an event.

Woofer said:
Mostly agree with Fergie with this one additional thing - if you're going to ask for advice, don't wait until one week before an event because there is virtually nothing that is going to help you improve significantly one week prior to an event.
Hey, fellow LGBRC member (i checked your blog). Yah, I know I should've asked a while back, but Shaffer and Taylor put the pain on Sunday and I was absolutley stunned track could be so brutal. All the other track "races" I had done were pretty much sit tight and attack around the time of the bell laps not attack off the whistle and every lap after.

cmacblue42 said:
Hey, fellow LGBRC member (i checked your blog). Yah, I know I should've asked a while back, but Shaffer and Taylor put the pain on Sunday and I was absolutley stunned track could be so brutal. All the other track "races" I had done were pretty much sit tight and attack around the time of the bell laps not attack off the whistle and every lap after.
The general approach Fergie gave is the way one should generally approach both strategy and tactics (until the racing starts, and plans go out the window), work backwards from where you want to be at the end (of a particular race or season fitness-wise), and make measurable milestones (either subjective or objective) along the way, working back to the start of the race or season or part of training season.

Another way to look at the track races is a lap is going to take about 25-30 seconds depending upon what's happening, and then you can break the race down into a length in time, and try to make your workouts prior to the event increase your ability for those lengths of time ( a points race is going to be 5 laps x~25 seconds, then a sprint or attack, repeat, etc), in addition to technical skills and sprinting practice. The one thing you could do on some days is practice your standing start as this is not something most people who don't spend a lot of time at the track do much, so practice ( of correct form, then raise intensity ) could make a large difference.

Just go and have fun this time - any track race that I have done well in has hurt more than any other type of riding I have made myself do. Every PR for me has been set on the track while racing. Sometimes it's a victory for me to just hang onto some cat 1's wheel and stay in the pack, and other times I can manage to place.

The time course of improvements of certain abilities will take longer than five weeks, i.e. if you have more than five weeks to get ready, you should spend more than five weeks as some characteristics can take consistent training over several months and continue to improve over years for some people. This does not mean riding yourself into the ground as there has to be a balance between a consistent and constantly challenging increase in difficulty and rest and recovery plus each individual will respond differently to similar training loads given their other interests and life stress.

These are very general responses that should be changed to match your time to train and ability. A coach could help you or maybe first a book on coaching so you could self coach at first and figure out what could might work for you is possibly in order.