Training Peaks and sweet spot

grahamspringett

Feb 26, 2004
I have TrainingPeaks set up with my power zones but I want to find from a ride how much time I spent in my sweet spot. I can pull grid lines onto the graph, but is there a way to find how much time I spent in my sweet spot without adding a permanent zone? Because it overlaps two proper zones, it may upset things.

grahamspringett said:
I have TrainingPeaks set up with my power zones but I want to find from a ride how much time I spent in my sweet spot. I can pull grid lines onto the graph, but is there a way to find how much time I spent in my sweet spot without adding a permanent zone? Because it overlaps two proper zones, it may upset things.
If your power distribution chart is set to 5 watt "buckets" you can just add up the time from each bucket within your sweet spot. It won't tell you how you accumulated that time but, if it was a quasi-steady state type of ride, you could fairly assume you were getting a dose of sweet spot training equal to the sum of the buckets.

Also, you can just select the portion of the graph that represents the "sweet spot" part of the ride by clicking where you want to begin and highlighting the desired time range. The selection's power information will show up on the left side and you can see average and normalized power for the selection. This approach may prove more usefull than including every wattage reading within the "sweet spot" regardless of how much time you spent at that power level.

If you have a bunch of places on the graph showing where you had to stop repeatedly, you can use the clip board to chop them out and see what you average power was while actually riding.

I don't use Trainingpeaks (I use Cyclingpeaks WKO+), but as far as I know, none of the commercially available software packages will calculate meaningful "time in zone". That is, there's no qualifier for duration of foray into each zone. Time in zone is kind of an artifact of HR based training anyway, maybe you just use HR for that type of analysis.

There was a frequent poster on these forums (Rapdaddyo) who came up with an Excel solution to calculate meaningful "time in zone" based on power...I have a copy, and it's a nice solution if you like that type of analysis.

jbvcoaching said:
There was a frequent poster on these forums (Rapdaddyo) who came up with an Excel solution to calculate meaningful "time in zone" based on power...I have a copy, and it's a nice solution if you like that type of analysis.

what happened to Rapdaddyo? not heard from him for a while...

ric

I managed to cobble a solution. I selected a new graph and set the upper and lower limits to what my sweet spot is. I ended up with more than one bar, which would've done except each bar encompassed values above and below my sweet spot, so I fiddled with the bucket size until it was one bar with my sweet spot values. I now have a graph with one bar showing how much time is spent in my sweet spot and I gotta tell ya, out of a 2.75hr Saturday morning group ride, I spent about 6 minutes in my sweet spot. Those rides are fun, and there's a good burn-up at the end, but - as we all know - it's not the most efficient way to reach a goal!

grahamspringett said:
I managed to cobble a solution. I selected a new graph and set the upper and lower limits to what my sweet spot is. I ended up with more than one bar, which would've done except each bar encompassed values above and below my sweet spot, so I fiddled with the bucket size until it was one bar with my sweet spot values. I now have a graph with one bar showing how much time is spent in my sweet spot and I gotta tell ya, out of a 2.75hr Saturday morning group ride, I spent about 6 minutes in my sweet spot. Those rides are fun, and there's a good burn-up at the end, but - as we all know - it's not the most efficient way to reach a goal!
:D:D;)

ric_stern/RST said:
what happened to Rapdaddyo? not heard from him for a while...

ric
My undestanding is that He went "offline" to work on a business venture and hasn't resurfaced.

jbvcoaching said:

Is the spreadsheet posted somewhere? Or could you send it to me?

Thanks,
Peter

watts4speed said:
Is the spreadsheet posted somewhere? Or could you send it to me?

Thanks,
Peter
There is no spreadsheet. The software and the accompanying documents were shared with a group of beta testers only and are commercial-in-confidence. It is not a spreadsheet but generated spreadsheet output.

A discussion on this was in the following thread:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t373262.html

grahamspringett said:
Could you post some screenshots of the setup for this? I am having a hard time figuring out how to get this to work....

Flash