Training Peaks (Hunter Allen) Winter Plans

cnyroadie

Jul 10, 2006
This doesn't seem to be getting much interest over at the training peaks message board so I figured I'd get a better response over here...

I'm interested in purchasing a Hunter Allen Winter Plan for 290 watts threshold and have a couple questions.

1. The advice that I've seen so far would suggest in general it's better to pick the more challenging plan if your FTP is in between plan values. So for me with a FTP of ~280 watts I'd be better off with a 290 watt plan, right?

2. There seems to be a fair number of experts who back the idea that weight training isn't particularly benficial for cyclng performance. While I understand the need to do some off season core work, the winter plans seem to emphasize weight work in the gym (in the preview weeks anyway). Can these workouts be replaced or augmented with any additional "on bike" work?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
wayne

Hi Wayne-

I would definitely choose the 'higher' wattage plan if you are between plans, so to speak. Your workouts won't start at doing threshold work anyway, so by the time you get to limited work there, you'll be ready.

I personally believe in weight work in the winter, that's why I have had all my athletes do weights for over 10 years now that I have been coaching. I think it helps to balance muscle groups, prevent chronic overuse injuries, helps to stabilize weak muscle groups, and also provides a nice mental change for the winter, helping to re-charge the the desire to train hard on the bike.

I have seen results with my athletes time and time again, I don't care what the 'experts' say.

Hunter

cnyroadie said:
This doesn't seem to be getting much interest over at the training peaks message board so I figured I'd get a better response over here...

I'm interested in purchasing a Hunter Allen Winter Plan for 290 watts threshold and have a couple questions.

1. The advice that I've seen so far would suggest in general it's better to pick the more challenging plan if your FTP is in between plan values. So for me with a FTP of ~280 watts I'd be better off with a 290 watt plan, right?

2. There seems to be a fair number of experts who back the idea that weight training isn't particularly benficial for cyclng performance. While I understand the need to do some off season core work, the winter plans seem to emphasize weight work in the gym (in the preview weeks anyway). Can these workouts be replaced or augmented with any additional "on bike" work?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
wayne

Hunter w/kg said:
Hi Wayne-

I would definitely choose the 'higher' wattage plan if you are between plans, so to speak. Your workouts won't start at doing threshold work anyway, so by the time you get to limited work there, you'll be ready.

I personally believe in weight work in the winter, that's why I have had all my athletes do weights for over 10 years now that I have been coaching. I think it helps to balance muscle groups, prevent chronic overuse injuries, helps to stabilize weak muscle groups, and also provides a nice mental change for the winter, helping to re-charge the the desire to train hard on the bike.

I have seen results with my athletes time and time again, I don't care what the 'experts' say.

Hunter
I don't think any expert could disagree with them comments,you didn't say lifting increases v02max, FTP,AC.

I'll be back at the gym soon after more than a year. I'll be working out there, doing some social, and will be doing little bit weight lifting as well (basically training like a girl, without even going to RM).

If there's one cycling related thing I'd like to try to improve, that would be getting rid of a pain in the neck (between shoulder blades). There's some room for improving my position on the bike, like buying a shorter stem.

But if there's anyone having experience in solving this type of pain with some gym training, your comment will be welcomed.

SolarEnergy said:
I'll be back at the gym soon after more than a year.

If there's one cycling related thing I'd like to try to improve, that would be getting rid of a pain in the neck (between shoulder blades).

But if there's anyone having experience in solving this type of pain with some gym training, your comment will be welcomed.
when you are in the gym hit the rowing machines they worked for me 20 minutes a couple of times per week.

SolarEnergy said:
If there's one cycling related thing I'd like to try to improve, that would be getting rid of a pain in the neck (between shoulder blades). There's some room for improving my position on the bike, like buying a shorter stem.

Despite religously lifting weights every winter, I used to get a pain in my neck during long rides. It went away when I moved somewhere more conducive to riding and I upped my training volume.

acoggan said:
I used to get a pain in my neck during long rides. It went away when I moved somewhere more conducive to riding and I upped my training volume.
Thanks for the input. I'm afraid that there aren't that many muscles that I can train in order to get rid of an issue that's probably related to some chronic inflammation of some tissues around vertebral spine.

And since some of our roads here up north look as if we've been in a war for last 50years...

acoggan said:
Despite religously lifting weights every winter
Do you still do? (or did you change 'religion'? :) )