Training plan to get to 300 watt FTP.

Meek One said:
Well hooked up the KK Power Meter to the bike and off I went....

KM/H almost identical but the KK PM read about 50-60 watts higher at my 90rpm 34.something km/h in my 39x13. My Powertap was reading 238-260 averaged 252 while the KK was reporting between 286-338 usually 305-315 about 20% difference.

So....

Did I just add some serious watts across the board?

I need to go check but I thought the KK PM was calibrated originally on a PT or SRM...

1. Did a stomp test w/ a ~52.5 lbs in plates = 155 and change. PT said 153...hmm "Maybe I was rejoicing too soon"

2.Then zeroed torque which I never did because coasting was always 0. But did it anyway.

3. Another stomp test yielded 155. Dead on. "Now more discouraged"

4. Ruined pool table cloth.

5. Threw bike on trainer in disgust to see if anything changed...

IT DID!!!

With socks on (remember when there were pedals you could ride barefoot?)
threw it in the 39x13 and rolled up to 34+. Hmm PT numbers much closer to KK. Instead of my earlier 230something to 260 something, they were 250something-290something averaging for a minute or two in the 270s instead of 250. So at worst I picked up about 9-10% power. I'll try it again tomorrow. :)

Piotr said:
The KK Road Machine is said to simulate a 1% grade.
Which also assumes a mass of the rider amongst other things.

for an 85kg bike + rider on a reasonable road and good tyres, that's roughly a CdA of 0.35, so sitting up on the tops maybe.

Meek One said:
Threw bike on trainer in disgust to see if anything changed...

IT DID!!!

With socks on (remember when there were pedals you could ride barefoot?)
threw it in the 39x13 and rolled up to 34+. Hmm PT numbers much closer to KK. Instead of my earlier 230something to 260 something, they were 250something-290something averaging for a minute or two in the 270s instead of 250. So at worst I picked up about 9-10% power. I'll try it again tomorrow. :)

Can someone explain how I got this increase from my PT, I thought only the factory could recalibrate it? Could my non-zeroed torque been off that much to cause a ~10% loss of measured watts? :confused:

Meek One said:
Can someone explain how I got this increase from my PT, I thought only the factory could recalibrate it? Could my non-zeroed torque been off that much to cause a ~10% loss of measured watts? :confused:
A torque reading of 0 could mean that it's 0 or negative (PT doesn't display negative numbers) and thus it was underreporting your wattage. Make it a habit of zeroing your torque regularly even if it reads 0. Congratulations on your astounding improvement! ;):)

Piotr said:
A torque reading of 0 could mean that it's 0 or negative (PT doesn't display negative numbers) and thus it was underreporting your wattage. Make it a habit of zeroing your torque regularly even if it reads 0. Congratulations on your astounding improvement! ;):)

Very hard training. ;)

Meek One said:
Very hard training. ;)
As the Wise Man sayeth: the Meek shall inherit 10-20% more power instantenously by zeroing their torque. :D

Meek One said:
Well hooked up the KK Power Meter to the bike and off I went....

KM/H almost identical but the KK PM read about 50-60 watts higher at my 90rpm 34.something km/h in my 39x13. My Powertap was reading 238-260 averaged 252 while the KK was reporting between 286-338 usually 305-315 about 20% difference.

So....

Did I just add some serious watts across the board?

I need to go check but I thought the KK PM was calibrated originally on a PT or SRM...
You can check your PT .. stomp test as others have mentioned ..
I definitely would not take the KK estimated power curve over a verified PM!!

Meek One said:

WTF. Just did my SST in my 39x13@90 = 34.xkm/h and watts are back down to my earlier level on the PT. 20min power @ 90avg rpm was 249. KK the whole time is reading about 50-60 watts higher... :mad: