Training program for 300 mile 5 day ride

li rider

Oct 11, 2004
I just signed on for a five day ride of about 300 miles, with lots of hills, to take place early Fall.

Lots of time to train, but I was hoping for some tips on a training regime to start in April when its warm enought to ride outside again.

I did a century last Fall and have been spinning indoors this winter, sneaking out on the few Sundays which were warm and dry enough to ride.

If you did a century last year, I'd say following the same training plan would adequately prepare you for a 300mi ride over 5 days. Get lots of time in the saddle, and make sure you include some back-to-back rides.

In training, be able to ride 300 miles in a training week (or equal hours in the saddle). Do this 2-3 weeks before the event itself.

As this is a ride, you want to focus on being able to do the ride, stay healthy, and recover day-over-day. Don't worry about intervals or power.

Increase your hours (mileage) (some may say by no more than 10% weekely) so that you can reach that goal in your max volume week (2-3 weeks before the event). Work backwards from that though a base training program and find out when you'll have to start.

IE, if your event will take 15 hours of riding, building from a 6 hour base might look like this: 6-7-8-6-7-8-9-6-9-10-11-6-10-11.5-13-6-12-13.5-15-6-EVENT

Lots of questions about pace. Are you riding alone or with a group? Who's responsible for pacing? Do you have a target time or speed for each day? Pacing is huge, for both training and the event itself!

li rider said:
I just signed on for a five day ride of about 300 miles, with lots of hills, to take place early Fall.

Lots of time to train, but I was hoping for some tips on a training regime to start in April when its warm enought to ride outside again.

I did a century last Fall and have been spinning indoors this winter, sneaking out on the few Sundays which were warm and dry enough to ride.
I like the book "Complete Book of Long Distance Cycling: Build the Strength, Skills and Confidence to Ride as Far as You Want"

There are some very sensible training plans / schedules that include provisions for training while working full time.

see: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ISBN=1579541992&pdf=y

cheers!

Good point. riding with a group, but I'll have to check with last year's riders on pace issues.

RapDaddyo said:
Lots of questions about pace. Are you riding alone or with a group? Who's responsible for pacing? Do you have a target time or speed for each day? Pacing is huge, for both training and the event itself!

why do you have some weeks dropping off in riding time? (built in recovery)?

Spunout said:
In training, be able to ride 300 miles in a training week (or equal hours in the saddle). Do this 2-3 weeks before the event itself.

As this is a ride, you want to focus on being able to do the ride, stay healthy, and recover day-over-day. Don't worry about intervals or power.

Increase your hours (mileage) (some may say by no more than 10% weekely) so that you can reach that goal in your max volume week (2-3 weeks before the event). Work backwards from that though a base training program and find out when you'll have to start.

IE, if your event will take 15 hours of riding, building from a 6 hour base might look like this: 6-7-8-6-7-8-9-6-9-10-11-6-10-11.5-13-6-12-13.5-15-6-EVENT

li rider said:
why do you have some weeks dropping off in riding time? (built in recovery)?
Yes. If you are an experienced cyclist, you can do 4-5 week base cycles (7-8-9-10-6)

You have to rest. Keep in mind that the schedule suggested is an endurance schedule, it has no speed phaze. If your goal is to finish and have fun, great. Work in hills, a club TT or training crit to get your strength up.

My club has a double century event, and every year we have sag 'buses' to pick up the people who have not adequately prepared.

strummer_fan said:
I like the book "Complete Book of Long Distance Cycling: Build the Strength, Skills and Confidence to Ride as Far as You Want"

There are some very sensible training plans / schedules that include provisions for training while working full time.

see: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ISBN=1579541992&pdf=y

cheers!

+1 on this book. I used it to train for the Bike Across Florida a couple of years back (165 miles in one day). It covered everything from weekly training plans, to bike fit, and nutrition/fueling.

Highly recommend the book.

Bob

RapDaddyo said:
Checked with someone who did the ride the last 2 years. Apparently the group splinters up by pace. The elite riders race away, and most of the groups go at 13-15 mph, self paced, depending on the hills. Only rule is you cannot go faster than the lead pace car.

I did a hilly (8400 vertical feet total climb) century last year, avering 14.5 mph.

li rider said:

I envy you. This sounds like a lot of fun! You'll have the summer to prepare. I'd work up to about 80 miles on weekends. Start at 40, and slowly increase over the summer. Try to get 40-50 miles once during the week, and do some smaller rides of 10-20 miles on a couple other weekdays.

li rider said:
Checked with someone who did the ride the last 2 years. Apparently the group splinters up by pace. The elite riders race away, and most of the groups go at 13-15 mph, self paced, depending on the hills. Only rule is you cannot go faster than the lead pace car.

I did a hilly (8400 vertical feet total climb) century last year, avering 14.5 mph.
Do you ride with a power meter? Pacing will have a huge effect on the total stress of the ride and your training plan should be specific to your pacing strategy. Or, from the other side of the lens, your event pacing strategy should be a function of your training. IOW, either train for a specific pacing strategy or just train as best you can and then decide on a pacing strategy as you approach the event. Pacing is easiest to execute (with precision) with a power meter.

I do not use a power meter.Only things I track are total distance, average speed, average heart rate. I also try to keep RPMs at the level i want as I ride.

I would train to average 15 MPH over the course of the ride.

suggestions?

RapDaddyo said:
Do you ride with a power meter? Pacing will have a huge effect on the total stress of the ride and your training plan should be specific to your pacing strategy. Or, from the other side of the lens, your event pacing strategy should be a function of your training. IOW, either train for a specific pacing strategy or just train as best you can and then decide on a pacing strategy as you approach the event. Pacing is easiest to execute (with precision) with a power meter.