Training Program

tomUK

Oct 20, 2003
Currently I am riding 5 days a week and putting in about 500 kJ of work on each session. I'm riding at a steady 150W throughout the workout.

i'd like a few ideas on how to improve my fitness more. I don't want to know what I'm doing wrong - because I believe this is a good base - but I would like to know how to improve more without over-stressing myself.

I know my FTP is about 260-270. Also, I don't much fancy going out and doing 2 x 20 intervals at that Wattage.

Would just like have a few ideas passed my way.

Thank you in advance.

tomUK said:
Currently I am riding 5 days a week and putting in about 500 kJ of work on each session. I'm riding at a steady 150W throughout the workout.

i'd like a few ideas on how to improve my fitness more. I don't want to know what I'm doing wrong - because I believe this is a good base - but I would like to know how to improve more without over-stressing myself.

I know my FTP is about 260-270. Also, I don't much fancy going out and doing 2 x 20 intervals at that Wattage.

Thank you in advance.

You don't want to know what you are doing wrong but you want some different ideas about training? It is not clear to me how those are compatible.

With that said, you are training far, far, too slow. And even if LSD 'base' were a valid theory, 500kj is not substantial enough to fall within it. The answer: stick to that pace for some recovery rides and spend the rest of your time with AP over 210W. If you don't want to do structured intervals, that's fine, but you need to ride harder to stimulate any kind of adaptation. By the way, how do you figure your FTP without doing any hard riding?

Roadie_scum said:
You don't want to know what you are doing wrong but you want some different ideas about training? It is not clear to me how those are compatible.

With that said, you are training far, far, too slow. And even if LSD 'base' were a valid theory, 500kj is not substantial enough to fall within it. The answer: stick to that pace for some recovery rides and spend the rest of your time with AP over 210W. If you don't want to do structured intervals, that's fine, but you need to ride harder to stimulate any kind of adaptation. By the way, how do you figure your FTP without doing any hard riding?
Roadie Scum gave you some good advice. Your posture is as a person who wants to lose weight but not change their caloric consumption or do any exercise.
Best,
Bill Black

tomUK said:

Thank you in advance.
Don't want to do 2x20's @ 260-270, but "know" it's your FTP. Cool... I don't like doing 2x20's @ FTP either. So, do 90 min @ 90%, 1 hr @ 92-93%

But.. in essence, ride harder.

Steady 150 with a 275w FTP is steady recovery riding, in any zone calculation. No adaptation whatsoever, really. 500kj @ that pace is about an hour. You simply need to ride harder. Pick your poison on interval, steady state, or "other"

tomUK said:

i'd like a few ideas on how to improve my fitness more. I don't want to know what I'm doing wrong - because I believe this is a good base - but I would like to know how to improve more without over-stressing myself.:confused:

Thank you in advance.
Common dude you're being kinda lazy aincha?. You've posted 204 times and know all about FTP so hence you must have heard of have sweetspot, L3 etc. Do a search for them. Good luck with the 150watt training I hope you're putting in big miles at that kinda power output. Personally I'd much rather bang out a 2 x 20 and get on with my life especially as the weather over here in the UK is getting kinda foul

tomUK said:

Thank you in advance.
0171.gif
Tyson

tomUK said:

Thank you in advance.
Try 3-4 x 20' at about 230-240 w with 1-2' rest between reps. I think this is a good base.