Training programs

MikeMuk

Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys,

I was wondering how you all came to develop the training program you are currently using with your power meter. At the moment I've had my PM for a few months, so have just been spending that time collecting information with the intention of developing a power based training plan.

I was thinking of using the guidlines that are described in "Cyclist Training Bible" but with a few tweaks to take into account using a power meter. Has anyone tried this? Does it sound like it's a workable training plan (for someone with little to no knowledge of developing training plans)? Are there any pitfalls I should look out for.

I know this sounds kinda vague, so any input would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mike

I would get a decent coach - we offer a very good on line based service at a very reasonable price (as you are in the UK and we are SA)

PM me if you want any more details.

I started out using the Training Bible (w/ a HRM) and thought it was a very good introduction to structured training. Particularly if you use WKO+, I think that's a great place to start. Pitfalls? Personally, I think one can use more (moderate) intensity in the base period than Friel advocates.

I will add that 6 months after beginning with the Training Bible, I moved to paying for quarterly testing/ training assesements/ and plans, and one year after that I began working with a coach. Not surprisingly, I think using a coach is most beneficial - and of course, it is the most expensive option. ;)

But I think there's something to be said for trying self-coaching first - just as I (heresy!) would never recommend someone brand-new to riding a bike immediately purchase a powermeter.

peterpen said:
I started out using the Training Bible (w/ a HRM) and thought it was a very good introduction to structured training. Particularly if you use WKO+, I think that's a great place to start. Pitfalls? Personally, I think one can use more (moderate) intensity in the base period than Friel advocates.

I will add that 6 months after beginning with the Training Bible, I moved to paying for quarterly testing/ training assesements/ and plans, and one year after that I began working with a coach. Not surprisingly, I think using a coach is most beneficial - and of course, it is the most expensive option. ;)

But I think there's something to be said for trying self-coaching first - just as I (heresy!) would never recommend someone brand-new to riding a bike immediately purchase a powermeter.
This is an interesting observation. Looking back over my last 28 days, I see a dip in terms of the overall time spent in the tempo training zone. Plenty of time in AR and Endurance, then a dip, then a plenty time in Threshold - I am currently in Build 2 phase.

I have built my own training program based on a combination of "Training Bible" and "Training and Racing with a PM".

Training bible gives a good foundation in terms of the following:
1. Identifying the needs of the types of events you do.
2. Identifying your own limiters in terms of your events needs.
3. Structuring the various training cycles/phases in order to peak.
4. Structuring weekly load etc to progressively overload.

Once you have an overall structure, I have used Hunter/Coggan (and Cyclingpeaks) to perform my assessments, assess my training zones, monitor progress etc.

I use a lot of Friels training sessions, but have applied Coggans zones to them. So far it seems to be working for me, will be in a better position at the end of the season to assess how effective it has been.

MikeMuk said:
Hey guys,

I was wondering how you all came to develop the training program you are currently using with your power meter. At the moment I've had my PM for a few months, so have just been spending that time collecting information with the intention of developing a power based training plan.

I was thinking of using the guidlines that are described in "Cyclist Training Bible" but with a few tweaks to take into account using a power meter. Has anyone tried this? Does it sound like it's a workable training plan (for someone with little to no knowledge of developing training plans)? Are there any pitfalls I should look out for.

I know this sounds kinda vague, so any input would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

If you're unsure how to use the data and construct sound training ideas and programme, then as Peter W suggests, a coach is the way forward.

We're located in the UK (but coach all over the world), but, one of our coaches (Andy Bloomer), isn't too far from you in Staffs.

Give me an email on [email protected] if you'd like to discuss our coaching options,

Cheers
Ric

Going to a coach is the quickest and most effective way to get started. That way you don't have to make all the mistakes that have been made thousands of times before.

I started out with a coach with much success, it was only when I started moving into power training and the coach that I was using was not fully up to date with it that I started going the self-coaching route - we'll see if it was the right choice.

Bruce Diesel said:
Going to a coach is the quickest and most effective way to get started. That way you don't have to make all the mistakes that have been made thousands of times before.

I started out with a coach with much success, it was only when I started moving into power training and the coach that I was using was not fully up to date with it that I started going the self-coaching route - we'll see if it was the right choice.

You can always give me a call if it wasn't :)

ric_stern/RST said:
Mike,

If you're unsure how to use the data and construct sound training ideas and programme, then as Peter W suggests, a coach is the way forward.

We're located in the UK (but coach all over the world), but, one of our coaches (Andy Bloomer), isn't too far from you in Staffs.

Give me an email on [email protected] if you'd like to discuss our coaching options,

Cheers
Ric
Cheers for the offer Ric - don't know if you remember, but we've spoken on a few occassions. Only issue I have with coaching (and obviously I understand the concept of getting what you pay for) is that I cannot afford it at the moment. Maybe I should sell all my bikes bar one, with a good coach there'd be no need for a stiff, light race bike - surely!

Cheers for the input guys. It's an interesting as this will be my first year of actually training. In the past I've trained like Valverde (if only with the same results) just doing what I feel like - consequently I peak somewhat randomly!

Mike

MikeMuk said:
Hey guys,

I was wondering how you all came to develop the training program you are currently using with your power meter....
Mike
Divine intervention.:D

I was hoping for a pair of dudes in sharp suits in shades...

"We're on a mission from Andy Coggan..."

Sillyoldtwit said:
Bless you my child, I am here! I have been sent by father RapDaddyo. :D
.......... :rolleyes: yes father RapDaddyo wants you to understand the power of L4 training :D

I've been through all the options mentioned so far but I haven't used an off the shelf programme at any time (although I did buy one once for research purposes).

All were steps along the way and you can learn lots from each. Depends on how long term you are looking, how much you want to learn, how much you are able to assess/analyse/plan (some just don't like it or aren't good at it), how much you can afford and whether you want the fastest improvements.

My best performances are coming now with high quality power based coaching. I did also make good progress through self power coaching but now I can just focus on executing the plan rather than worry about the plan itself.

Ironically, I find it is easier to be objective with other's data.