Training programs

Ht5455

May 6, 2014
Hi am a 16 year old boy who is pretty serious about road racing and really wants to start improving just wondering if anyone has any good training programmers that could work for me Any contribution would be really appreciated cheers

I guess no one wants to help. How much riding are you doing?

You should feel comfortable doing 2-3 hours a day every day before you do any serious training.

While you are working on that, keep track of your abilities. If you have a hill that you can ride a couple times a week as part of a longer ride, time yourself on the hill. If you have a flat section without stops, time yourself there. Try to improve your time.

And find a group to ride with. Old fast guys are best. They tend to ride at a steady pace. They tend to be friendly to new comers. Don't ride with "racers."

Since you posted your query in the power training forum, I assume you have or plan to have a power meter. I encourage you to buy and read Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Hunter Allen and Andy Coggan. It has some training programs in it, but more importantly the book will help you understand how to target specific adaptations with your training program. Nobody can recommend a training program without knowing where you are starting from, how much time you have to train, what sorts of courses you have available where you live, and what your objectives are (e.g., crits, road races, TTs, etc.). I agree with AOG that you want to build up your endurance to 2-3 hours/day, but I disagree that the build is not serious training. You can have a plan, even for the first day on the bike, whether you are starting from scratch or coming back after a long layoff.

Originally Posted by Ht5455

Hi am a 16 year old boy who is pretty serious about road racing and really wants to start improving just wondering if anyone has any good training programmers that could work for me Any contribution would be really appreciated cheers
Find a race club to join and ride with. Find a racer that'll be a mentor-type for you. Pick their brain. And ignore old guy.