Training Qs: intervals, blowing up, fat...

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>I have two goals right now:
>
> -Lose a huge amount of weight
> -up the wattage

The good news is that by doing the former the right way, you will
undoubtedly also get the latter for free.

And by the right way, I simply mean keep a good diet. "Eat food, not too
much, mostly plants" -- Ben Franlin. (Don't forget that hops are plants!)
And with your additional riding, you'll run a small calorie deficit, so that
by CX season you'll have shed most of that extra weight.

> I'm mostly interested in sprint bursts of power, since every race I ever
> won, I won from a sprint, and this Fall I'll probably start riding track.

More good news... training your sprint is fast and easy (relative to upping
your aerobic power or anaerobic capacity). Despite what Robert says, do one
sprint work-out a week with 10-15 full-out bursts of 10-15 seconds each with
adequate recovery in-between. Takes less than an hour. As long as you still
have at least 5-10 hours a week for your high-aerobic-zone work, then work
on your sprint also, if for no other reason than it will be fun when you go
around Burnaby really fast.

> Here's a typical training, er, plan:
>
> -multi-modal commute halfway across town, 25ish km in multiple sections.
> Because of the hills and the timing, I have to ride faster than slow to
> get to the crit on time.
> -yes, crit: ride Cat 4 crit until I explode spectacularly, and then keep
> riding until I get lapped or show signs of endangering the sprint.
> -ride home in a very screwed-up state, probably have to stop for a
> drink. This ride reverses the commute, but the hills are more favorable.
>
> The goal is to do a fairly long ride that will burn fat, but to throw
> enough high-HR riding in that I build power. Is it dumb to combine these
> activities? Is it dumber than not doing one or the other at all?

I don't know what you mean by fairly long, but as Ben Franklin also once
said, "Fat burns best in a hot flame", meaning you actually burn more fat at
higher power output. You'll have to experiement to find your own... ,err,
sweet spot, where you do the most work (in the physics sense) for your
entire training session, ...if the goal is to burn fat.

> I'm certainly in such a state, physically, right now that any serious
> riding is likely to help, but I don't want to be doing some sort of
> ridiculous physiological suicide that will be totally counterproductive
> (as, for example, I suspect long rides at 25 km/h would be. Junk miles
> ho!)

If you have limited time, 25 kph rides are indeed junk, unless you need them
for recovery. Koach K is korrect that you need easy recovery rides, but only
after you've really taxed yourself with your hard rides.

> I will also try to pack in a few dedicated sessions of riding hard,
> 60-90s intervals uphill (3 sets of 3 to start), since that has
> historically made me strong fast.

Personally, I wouldn't do those until your threshold W/kg has started to
level off. If you do these 60-90 sec intervals all-out, they can really
compromise your training for several days afterward. On the other hand, if
you actually enjoy these kind of intervals, then you either aren't doing
them hard enough, or you are sick in the head.

> Finally, are my training goals ridiculous?

No.

> Am I sabotaging the CX season with my devotion to intervals,
> when I should just work on hour-power or something?

No. Whether you do those 60-90 second intervals, or aerobic-threshold work
(e.g., sweet-spot training), you will improve substantially.

> Is training for both CX and sprinting purely hopeless?

Unless you are training your sprint to beat Andrew Randell or Zach Bell,
then it shouldn't consume much of your time or energy, so it won't interfere
with CX.

> I don't see a lot of peloton-ing happening at the front end of local "B"
> CX races, but then I don't see a lot of the front of those races, period.

....which is precisely why improving your threshold W/kg will get you to the
front of those races.

BTW, I'm NOT saying that you can't fine-tune your fitness toward one kind of
event versus another; you can, as I suggested here:
http://marcofanelli.blogspot.com/2008/01/designing-bike-racer.html

....but as I wrote in the follow-up, until you've dropped the extra weight,
it doesn't really matter:
http://marcofanelli.blogspot.com/2008/01/continuing-discussion.html
...which I got a lot of flack for, and some emails both nasty and
supportive, the best comment was from Ben Franklin: "Bike racing is not
healthy. But if you want to go fast, here's what to do."

Good luck Ryan!

Mark
http://marcofanelli.blogspot.com

On May 13, 10:35 am, "Steve Freides" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> In short, eat less, and find heavy objects and move them - in addition
> to continuing to ride your bike.

Hmmnnn... move heavy objects... does getting out of my easy chair
count? I guess I could strap my remotes to barbells too...
Fortunately, I live in a cycling paradise, so continuing to ride my
bike is easy enough...
-Paul

In article
<rcousine-BCAB86.20071312052008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,
Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> If the biggest result from my training is that I lose 25 pounds and
> maintain some semblance of current power, I will be highly competitive
> in the local crits, and should shoot up the CX results as if I was
> experimenting with The **** That Will Kill Them.

Losing 25 pounds in the time frame
and with the physical effort you outline
is a huge jolt to the body. You should
find out everything you can about large
weight loss, including how to maintain.
Have you seriously considered a lifelong
commitment to maintaining some particular
weight range? Or are you at risk to blimp
up, dissipating the results of your effort?

A very gradual weight loss program may be in order,
concentrating on portion size. I recommend
the no-guilt diet.

--
Michael Press

Paul G. wrote:
> On May 13, 10:35 am, "Steve Freides" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> In short, eat less, and find heavy objects and move them - in addition
>> to continuing to ride your bike.

> Hmmnnn... move heavy objects... does getting out of my easy chair
> count? I guess I could strap my remotes to barbells too...
> Fortunately, I live in a cycling paradise, so continuing to ride my
> bike is easy enough...
> -Paul

Same paradise as mine, Southern Cal?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Steve Freides wrote:
> >> In short, eat less, and find heavy objects and move them - in
> >> addition to
> >> continuing to ride your bike.

> > And drink less beer.

> Absolutely, especially immediately post-training.
>
> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com

For heaven's sake!

Beer is WHY I engage in a sport with high cardio-training requirements.

So I can drink beer!

Dumbassess...

PS: good advice, will consider.

[email protected] (A R:nen) wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Finally, are my training goals ridiculous? Am I sabotaging the CX season
> > with my devotion to intervals, when I should just work on hour-power or
> > something? Is training for both CX and sprinting purely hopeless? I
> > don't see a lot of peloton-ing happening at the front end of local "B"
> > CX races, but then I don't see a lot of the front of those races, period.

> Doesn't sprint training actually help CX? I mean, you do have to get
> back up to speed after each dismount/slow section and each one of
> those accelerations is essentially like a small sprint (though you
> don't want to go all out any further than what you can manage to
> recover from in the time before the next dismount).

Interesting theory, but I suspect not. The ideal in CX is probably
something very close to constant power, and the accelerations after a
well-done remount (at least for me) are not huge: you're supposed to run
fast while off the bike so you don't have to accelerate to get back on.
Wattage probably goes up while running, but in most cases the runs are
brief. Around here, it's not at all unusual to have barrier sections
that last 1-3 seconds, and typically there's one longer run-up, but I
can't think of any that were longer than 15s or so.

My impression of the running sections in CX is that they usually have
more to do with making smooth transitions off and on the bike.

Running? Transitions! Aaah! That's triathlete talk!

Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article
> <rcousine-BCAB86.20071312052008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,
> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > If the biggest result from my training is that I lose 25 pounds and
> > maintain some semblance of current power, I will be highly competitive
> > in the local crits, and should shoot up the CX results as if I was
> > experimenting with The **** That Will Kill Them.

> Losing 25 pounds in the time frame
> and with the physical effort you outline
> is a huge jolt to the body. You should
> find out everything you can about large
> weight loss, including how to maintain.
> Have you seriously considered a lifelong
> commitment to maintaining some particular
> weight range? Or are you at risk to blimp
> up, dissipating the results of your effort?

Let's put it this way:

mid-1996 (living in LA, no exercise, apparently lost weight by osmosis):
156 lbs.
mid-2000 (got married): 190 lbs.
mid-2001 (wife cooks well and healthy): 175 lbs.
2002-2005 progressive reductions in normal mid-summer weight of about 5
lbs. per year, peaking with a record low of 148 lbs. in August 2005,
when I won 5 mid-week crit primes in a row and took some podiums.
2006-2007: the enfattening. Due to personal distractions from the
important work of riding my bike (grand finale was knee problems), I
blimp up to 180 by the start of 2008.

2008: to quote Daniel Coyle, er, Ben Franklin, speaking about Jan
Ullrich, er, Ben Franklin: "fat boy was ******." Time to stop making the
donuts.

I'm already reasonably happy with my training, in that unlike last year,
I'm consistently getting on my bike and riding.

> A very gradual weight loss program may be in order,
> concentrating on portion size. I recommend
> the no-guilt diet.

I have only two weaknesses that hamstring my diet efforts: portion
control and impulse control. Also, I like beer, wine, and hard liquor.

In 2005, what "worked" for me was essentially eating whatever I wanted
and riding a (for me) ridiculous amount. I was physically unable to
catch up to the calorie debts I was inducing. The system worked!

I don't have a good idea of what to do long-term, most especially for
off-season. The eat-whatever diet probably will be not too bad as long
as I keep riding as much as I am, but it's quite clear I'm just
consuming way too many calories, and my theory is the best way to work
that out is to just really work hard on avoiding the behavior that leads
me to consume certain types of marginal (as in the extra 10%, not as in
doughnuts) calories.

"Off The Back" <[email protected]> wrote:

[good advice snipped]

> ...but as I wrote in the follow-up, until you've dropped the extra weight,
> it doesn't really matter:
> http://marcofanelli.blogspot.com/2008/01/continuing-discussion.html
> ...which I got a lot of flack for, and some emails both nasty and
> supportive, the best comment was from Ben Franklin: "Bike racing is not
> healthy. But if you want to go fast, here's what to do."

That post was really useful, right up to the point where you mentioned
chocolate. Now, right after dinner, I don't want to weigh 150 lbs, I
want chocolate! So that part pretty much screwed the rest of the post.

Ahem. However, it seems that you're affirming my other idea, which is
that if the weight drops, the rest is details. The process of weighing
less alone will help everything else, and the best way to weigh less is
to ride often and hard.

> Good luck Ryan!

Thanks. I soon hope to be the fastest Cat 4 on the planet. After that, I
will work on being better at Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu than any 7-year-old on
the planet.

On May 13, 5:38 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> Paul G. wrote:
> > On May 13, 10:35 am, "Steve Freides" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >> In short, eat less, and find heavy objects and move them - in addition
> >> to continuing to ride your bike.

> > Hmmnnn... move heavy objects... does getting out of my easy chair
> > count? I guess I could strap my remotes to barbells too...
> > Fortunately, I live in a cycling paradise, so continuing to ride my
> > bike is easy enough...
> > -Paul

> Same paradise as mine, Southern Cal?

Hmmnnnn. Isn't SoCal more of a surfer's paradise? I only go there
when I have to, like for funerals. I'm in Sonoma County. We have a
lot of scenic backroads, vineyards, redwoods, some good climbs,
creeks, lakes and the coast. The first two stages of the Tour of
California pass thru here.
-Paul

On Tue, 13 May 2008 12:56:58 -0700 (PDT),

>25lbs of flab gone makes a HUGE difference.
>
>Someone (like a bodybuilder) who has excess muscle mass may find it
>hard to maintain that mass while losing small amounts of fat, but a
>fatso with a 25lbs spare tire isn't going to have a hard time of it.
>I'm a fan of (relatively) high protein diets.
>
>I lost 50-60lbs riding, and I am WAY stronger than I was then. Not to
>mention way faster.
>
>Joseph

Good job, but too vague. IOW, if you were 350lbs and are now 290, I'd
be skeptical of claims of 'faster', unless you consider going from
12mph to 14mph _on average_ 'fast'. :)

But if you were 225 and are now 160, I'd agree.

I also lost 50+ lbs, and am still riding about the same speed on the
flats.

What's your avg speed then vs now, if you don't mind saying?

TIA.

On Wed, 14 May 2008 01:34:26 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm just
>consuming way too many calories, and my theory is the best way to work
>that out is to just really work hard on avoiding the behavior that leads
>me to consume certain types of marginal (as in the extra 10%, not as in
>doughnuts) calories.

I would suggest getting a 'good enough' idea of how many calories you
are consuming versus how many you consume to not gain any weight.
(maintenance)

Theoretically, going only 100 calories over your maintenance every day
for a year is going to end up causing a weight gain of 1lb every 6
months, unless you're young. (all other things being equal).

It's not much food. Just one extra tblspoon of peanut butter above
maintenance, for instance.

That -could- translate to about 10-12lbs weight gain per year, esp if
you're over 35-40 and work desk..

If you're young and have an active job, you burn it off. If you go
from active job to sedentary, you start gaining.

To lose 1lb per week, you have to eat 500 cals/day Less. Or burn 250
more than you do now (riding for 40min), and eating 250 less, or 2.5
tblspoons of peanut butter less -every- day for a week.

(Usually fat -loss- is a bit slower than that, due to other factors.)

Also, you can't gorge on weekends, because you blow the week in
totals. What's hard is hunger tends to go up and
consistency/motivation comes and goes.

On Tue, 13 May 2008 23:40:30 -0400, Nobody<[email protected]> wrote:

>Theoretically, going only 100 calories over your maintenance every day
>for a year is going to end up causing a weight gain of 1lb every 6
>months,

Oops, that's every six weeks, not months. Sorry. :)

In article <[email protected]>,
Nobody<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 2008 01:34:26 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm just
> >consuming way too many calories, and my theory is the best way to work
> >that out is to just really work hard on avoiding the behavior that leads
> >me to consume certain types of marginal (as in the extra 10%, not as in
> >doughnuts) calories.

> I would suggest getting a 'good enough' idea of how many calories you
> are consuming versus how many you consume to not gain any weight.
> (maintenance)
>
> Theoretically, going only 100 calories over your maintenance every day
> for a year is going to end up causing a weight gain of 1lb every 6
> weeks, unless you're young. (all other things being equal).

When I was semi-serious about training 3 years ago, I used FitDay for a
few months to track my caloric intake. It was quite revealing, though I
was eating pretty well then.

I gave up on FitDay because the user interface stank.

> It's not much food. Just one extra tblspoon of peanut butter above
> maintenance, for instance.
>
> That -could- translate to about 10-12lbs weight gain per year, esp if
> you're over 35-40 and work desk..
>
> If you're young and have an active job, you burn it off. If you go
> from active job to sedentary, you start gaining.

34 and with a semi-active job. I have to get up and walk around the
campus to fix things.

> Also, you can't gorge on weekends, because you blow the week in
> totals. What's hard is hunger tends to go up and
> consistency/motivation comes and goes.

I have some idea of the triggers of overconsumption, and a big one is
boredom. I just try to keep busy to not eat.

Bill C wrote:

> the multiple small meals and snacks, along with several aerobic
> activity sessions are the key to keeping the metabolism elevated.

You forgot to mention the ECA stack.

In article <rcousine-8832E1.18342513052008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,
Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have only two weaknesses that hamstring my diet efforts: portion
> control and impulse control. Also, I like beer, wine, and hard liquor.

My experience was that portion and impulse control were big (ahem) factors in me
getting sort of heavy (mid 190s, oy!) back in the '90s. I'd sit down and just eat
whatever was there. Hey, it was tasty food! As for impulse control, I'd be sitting
reading a book and have to go look in the fridge. Funny, the same stuff was there 20
minutes earlier. I figured out that I was doing it because of boredom. I was riding a
lot (250 to 300 miles a week) so I should have had caloric debt. Anyway, I tend to
eat less food now and certainly do a lot less fridge runs (probably almost zero). I
ride a lot less (probably half or two thirds what I used to) and I do still eat a
diet with a fair amount of rich food but my weight is much better (158 or so).

> I don't have a good idea of what to do long-term, most especially for
> off-season. The eat-whatever diet probably will be not too bad as long
> as I keep riding as much as I am, but it's quite clear I'm just
> consuming way too many calories, and my theory is the best way to work
> that out is to just really work hard on avoiding the behavior that leads
> me to consume certain types of marginal (as in the extra 10%, not as in
> doughnuts) calories.

I'd agree with that last bit. I don't think the odd bit of splurging on something
like a donut or ice cream is what causes the problems, at least it doesn't cause them
for me. Learning to feel satisfied with a smaller quantity of your main meals helps
you not do the eat until you can't fit any more in thing. Doing that helped me only
add 5 pounds or so in the winter and that came off really quickly.

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

On May 14, 5:24 am, Nobody<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2008 12:56:58 -0700 (PDT),
>
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >25lbs of flab gone makes a HUGE difference.

> >Someone (like a bodybuilder) who has excess muscle mass may find it
> >hard to maintain that mass while losing small amounts of fat, but a
> >fatso with a 25lbs spare tire isn't going to have a hard time of it.
> >I'm a fan of (relatively) high protein diets.

> >I lost 50-60lbs riding, and I am WAY stronger than I was then. Not to
> >mention way faster.

> >Joseph

> Good job, but too vague. IOW, if you were 350lbs and are now 290, I'd
> be skeptical of claims of 'faster', unless you consider going from
> 12mph to 14mph _on average_ 'fast'. :)
>
> But if you were 225 and are now 160, I'd agree.
>
> I also lost 50+ lbs, and am still riding about the same speed on the
> flats.
>
> What's your avg speed then vs now, if you don't mind saying?
>
> TIA.

I was someplace over 250. I was allergic to looking at the scale at
that point, so I don't really know. Probably 260 or so. I'm 205 now.
If I were some kind of pro, I'd be 195.

At our club time trial I averaged 28km/h when I was fat, now I am over
40km/h.

I am convinced that a high protein diet (Zone-like) helps keep muscle
and helps control appetite which I feel is critical to losing weight.

And the easy things like eliminating mayonaise from sandwiches, etc.
Use more mustard instead, for example. Sparkling water instead of
juice or soda. Plain yogurt instead of fruit yogurt, big salads with
no oil. The trick is to give your body what it needs to run, and to
rebuild, but cut out the handful of daily surplus calories. The daily
surplus that needs to be eliminated is only 2-300 kcal, if that. Those
can be trimmed without resorting to drastic measures, and without it
feeling like some kind of deprivation.

For an overweight person, there is probably only 30 seconds in each
day where they are overdoing it in the eating department. The trick is
to find those 30 seconds and change them.

Joseph

Bret wrote:
> We still do that. Scratch the word "nearly". I wasn't going to give Ryan
> any drinking advice. That would be like giving Tom Boonen sprinting
> advice.

But maybe Ryan needs someone to give him a lead out.

Bret wrote:
> Chung will post a chart demonstrating the ineffectiveness of the red
> herring diet.

The cannibal diet is supposed to be good for cyclists.

On May 14, 12:38 am, Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bill C wrote:
> >  the multiple small meals and snacks, along with several aerobic
> > activity sessions are the key to keeping the metabolism elevated.

> You forgot to mention the ECA stack.

Never bothered with that stuff. I watched people fork out big dollars
for the stuff because it was in the magazines and get nowhere.
Drinking tea seemed to do as much for me as their "stack" was doing
for them, and I wasn't a complete twitch all the time. Thought about
it, especially since I had a ton of trouble building my arms, along
with the other chemical goodies, but it was never worth it to me. Way
too many nasty side effects, and you've really got no idea what's
actually in the stuff you're getting off the street, or up from
Mexico. If you're lucky it's just saline with something harmless to
make it burn a bit going in so it feels right. I can't remember the
name now, but one of the big time steroid busts turned out to be about
90% of stuff like that. Not a good thing for your customers to find
out.
Bill C

On May 14, 1:11 am, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

>    I'd agree with that last bit. I don't think the odd bit of splurging on something
> like a donut or ice cream is what causes the problems, at least it doesn'tcause them
> for me. Learning to feel satisfied with a smaller quantity of your main meals helps
> you not do the eat until you can't fit any more in thing. Doing that helped me only
> add 5 pounds or so in the winter and that came off really quickly.
>
> --
>                               tanx,
>                                Howard
>
>                         Whatever happened to
>                         Leon Trotsky?
>                         He got an icepick
>                         That made his ears burn.
>
>                      remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

It's actually pretty easy to build allowances for that stuff into a
planned diet, and it seems to help avoid the binging and cravings.
Building in allowances for a couple of beers is pretty easy too since
they're not bad calories, just empty, and not a terrible amount of
them either, especially for a casual racer who's riding quite a bit.
I'd say you've got it pretty well figured out Howard. It's tough if
you're the only one eating trying to eat healthy in a house too. If
you don't kill each other, someone else eating the same way, and
keeping an eye on each other can be a huge help.
Just no way around it, until it becomes an ingrained, habitual
lifestyle, it's a tough gig to stick with. Once you know where the
pitfalls are, can estimate portions pretty closely, learn which
restaurants you can go to, etc...it gets a lot easier, just takes a
lot of work and dedication to get there.
Bill C