Training Question

Brad Wadlow

Nov 15, 2004
Hello All!

I need some advice and this looks like the best place to ask. Im going to start track racing next spring. I have done enough road racing and mountain bike racing to know that I am a sprinter for sure. Im giving it all up for the velodrome next year and I was wondering what kind of training programs most of you guys use. I have a good idea of what "I think" I need to do but I would like to hear any suggestions you may have to offer. I am especially interested in the volume and frequency aspect of a good program. I am 5' 9" 195 lbs and about 6% bodyfat if that makes any difference. Thanks a ton in advance guys.

Brad Wadlow said:
Hello All!

I need some advice and this looks like the best place to ask. Im going to start track racing next spring. I have done enough road racing and mountain bike racing to know that I am a sprinter for sure. Im giving it all up for the velodrome next year and I was wondering what kind of training programs most of you guys use. I have a good idea of what "I think" I need to do but I would like to hear any suggestions you may have to offer. I am especially interested in the volume and frequency aspect of a good program. I am 5' 9" 195 lbs and about 6% bodyfat if that makes any difference. Thanks a ton in advance guys.

I'm going to assume that even though you're a sprinter, you'll be doing all of the races, not just match sprints:

For this time of year, you can hit the weight room, starting with conditioning to get your body used to lifting, and transitioning to power workouts, or "explosive" lifting. This will improve your jump and kilo/chariot starts. If you've never done any real weight work, get a coach or trainer to set up a program for you, you can mess yourself up if you do things wrong.

Begining in Jan, start putting in the base miles, same as you would for road. No major efforts, just 1 hour easy (zone 2) rides. Gradually increase the time you spend on the bike. Add an extra 20-30 minutes per ride every week, until you get to 3 hours or so (unless you still plan to road race, you don't need to do epic 6 hour rides).

At the same time, gradually add in some tempo work (zone 3), and by March you should start working on LT intervals (zone 4+). You can find better info on exactly what to do online or in books, or better yet hire a coach.

During all this, you should also be riding the rollers at least twice a week for 30-40 minutes, preferably on your track bike. It's good for bike handling skills, and you can work on leg speed without much resistance. You'll know if you're pedalling "round" or not very quickly when you are at 160rpm on rollers. I usually hit them for 20 minutes as a warm-up before I head out the door for a road ride.

By April you will have good base fitness and be on your way to race-shape, at which point you should start heading to the track a couple of times a week to work on the specifics. Standing starts, motorpacing (if you can), drills for match sprinting, etc.

At this point, if you don't already have one, a good coach is invaluable in getting you truly ready to race. Ask around and see if you can find one that you can afford, it will make a world of difference.

Welcome to the squirrel cage :D.

Brad Wadlow said:
Hello All!

I would add to what RSD suggests. Assuming you are looking at being an omnium rider, you should be putting in more bike miles now, along with your weights. Starting your base training in December (I do in November) would be a good idea, I put in about 10 hours on the bike, and 3 in the gym. If you are lifting 3 days per week, you should add a couple of days of intervals to your training. These intervals will help you integrate your strength gains to the pedals, where you need them. In Dec, you can do 1 day with 4 or 5 power starts, pick a fairly big gear (53x14-12) and at a near standstill pedals as hard as you can for 12 seconds or so. These will help acustom you to rapidly applying force to the pedals. Recover for 5 minutes between intervals.

Your next interval can be done on a shallow hill, in a big gear where you ride at a low cadence (50-55 rpm). Do a couple of 5-10 min intervals with 10 min between for recovery. These intervals put high tension on your muscles, and help you recruit more muscle fibers into your efforts. Both of these intervals will really help make the weights pay off!

In Jan you will want to do some high cadence work too. I also suggest you find a good coach!

Good luck!

Trackie brings up a good point: If you don't have access to a gym, or don't want to lift, you can do your strength training on the bike. Find a hill that's at least 1/4 of a mile long and around 8-10% grade. Starting in a bigger gear (I used 53x17) and a low speed/cadence, start grinding up it SEATED. Getting out of the saddle is cheating :p. When you get to the top (or 2 minutes have passed), turn around, recover for a few minutes, and do it again, 15-20 reps are good. Then go spin for 30-60 minutes to loosen up your legs.

I used to do these myself instead of squats, mainly because I don't like doing squats, but also because it stresses your cycling muscles exactly. Besides, it smells better than a locker room (unless you live in Gary Indiana).

RSD said:
Trackie brings up a good point: If you don't have access to a gym, or don't want to lift, you can do your strength training on the bike. Find a hill that's at least 1/4 of a mile long and around 8-10% grade. Starting in a bigger gear (I used 53x17) and a low speed/cadence, start grinding up it SEATED. Getting out of the saddle is cheating :p. When you get to the top (or 2 minutes have passed), turn around, recover for a few minutes, and do it again, 15-20 reps are good. Then go spin for 30-60 minutes to loosen up your legs.

I used to do these myself instead of squats, mainly because I don't like doing squats, but also because it stresses your cycling muscles exactly. Besides, it smells better than a locker room (unless you live in Gary Indiana).
I meant to do this AND the weight workouts. It helps to integrate your strength gains to the bike. This is a method that Chris Carmichael taught me when he was my personal coach. And you are right, getting out of the saddle is cheating!:cool:

trackieusa said:
I meant to do this AND the weight workouts. It helps to integrate your strength gains to the bike. This is a method that Chris Carmichael taught me when he was my personal coach. And you are right, getting out of the saddle is cheating!:cool:
SO YOU ALL DO MUSCLE TENSION INTERVALS FOR FAST TWITCH FIBRE RECRUITMENT, AND STEADY STATE INTERVALS?

Do you chuck in Decending Intervals to improve anerobic power at LT (52X17) with a Cadence of over 110rpm and Stomps.

Stomps are used primarily for in the saddle efforts. Overall gearing should be 52/53 x 12/13 depending upon your level of development; it should be hard to pedal.

Begin each stomp at a moderate speed of 15/20 mph whilst seated in the saddle, begin stomping as hard as you possibly can upon the pedals.

try to concentrate on smoothly stomping down on the pedals during the down stroke, each session should last 15/20 seconds with a 5 second recovery between each. this is an Anerobic workout.

I COMPLETE THE MAJORITY OF THESE INTERVALS ON THE IMAGIC SINCE IN CATALIST I CAN BUILD AND DESIGN THE HILL THAT I WANT TO RIDE AND 10-20 MINUTES ON A 9% SLOPE I FEEL IS BETTER THAN ANY SQUAT FRAME WITH 10-15 MINUTES ON A -4% SLOPE FOR DECENDING INTERVALS. AND 10 MINUTES FLAT FOR WARM UPS.........