Training questions for mtn. biking

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by gt3413, May 14, 2006.

1. gt3413

gt3413 New Member

I copied this from the tech corner training section because I thought it made more sense to have it here with all the mountain bike stuff. I hope you can help me. Thanks!

I purchased a mtn. bike a week ago, a 2006 GT avalanche 2.0 disc. Not top end, but a decent bike for my needs. Ever since I was 15 I've strength trained and done some type of aerobic exercise, even did a bodybuilding contest at 18, I'm 37 now. Anyways, as life goes sometimes, I got out of my good habits and into some very bad ones (surfing the internet, sitting on my butt, drinking 6-8 beers 2-3 days per week). I was focusing on getting to the gym and doing what I've always done but with a wife and kids and a job I just don't have the 1 1/2 hours a day to spend in the gym that I used to have. I got frustrated at not being able to do what I've always done so the beer and internet was easier. I finally figured I had to find something to fill my exercise need. The mountain bike is working out GREAT! I've been riding anywhere from 3.7miles to 5.4 road miles daily. I'm familiar with the feeling of needing to recover so I listen to my body and take a day off when needed. I need to lose some weight but I'm a registered dietitian so that's not a problem. 5'7" approx. 225lbs now, goal 190lbs depending on bodyfat measurements once I get there. My motivation has returned so eating is not an issue, it's under control. Here's my question, should I continue just to cycle and increase the mileage as I feel I can or do I need a set "cycling program"? I don't have a problem pushing myself. I had a couple of harder rides earlier this week, my legs felt tired last night. Instead of riding hard, I rode my longest ride, almost 5 1/2 miles but it was all pretty much flat and I did it mostly to stretch my legs and take it easy. I felt good afterwards and my legs feel good this morning. Am I on the right track? Please give me any advice you feel is appropriate. I plan on continuing the road riding but also plan on doing some offroad mtn. biking trails around the area as able. But, I'm waiting to increase my fitness before I go offroad. Thanks in advance, Greg

Tags:

2. marapets

marapets New Member

awesome cant wait!

3. YIMan

YIMan New Member

Hi, I am not an expert but I wondered from your post what your goal is? Is it to lose weight and/or get fit? Do you want to race or just maintain a decent base level of fitness?

I think either way when you're just starting out you can either do harder, longer or preferably harder and longer - taking in a few hills when you feel ready which believe me (at 6'4 and 200lbs myself) will really work you!

Good luck!

4. YIMan

YIMan New Member

Sorry, to answer the question - in my humble opinion I don't believe you need any kind of program. Try one later if you want to get into racing or decide to train for an event of some sort.

5. gt3413

gt3413 New Member

I'm wanting to lose weight while increasing my fitness level. I've got the nutrition aspect under control now and I am increasing my length and difficulty of my rides as I'm able. I try to push myself a little harder each ride then having an easy ride when I feel beat. Eventually I would like to do some offroad races. So, for now, am I OK with increasing like I mentioned? Then, maybe closer to time for me to race I should inquire more about what type of training once I decide which race to do. Does this sound OK? Thanks, Greg

6. fishNbike

fishNbike New Member

I think the most important thing is to just don't stop. Don't train so hard that you get hurt, 'cuz then you stop. Don't do it so much that you get sick of it, 'cuz then you stop. Don't get frustrated with your progress, 'cuz then you stop. It's just like the bodybuilding, so you already know all of this. However, don't expect the same rate of progress that you had in your 20s. It'll still happen. It'll take longer, it'll hurt more, but it'll still happen. Just don't stop. If you do, it'll hurt even more when you decide to go at it again. (you will)