Road Cycling · Public discussion

Training/Racing in Atlanta?

Started by Chris Wiggins · · Last activity · 3 posts · 341 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
7 March 2006
Last activity
7 March 2006
Original author
Chris Wiggins
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
341
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm considering moving to Atlanta soon, from Minneapolis. Excited about
    the change in climate but wondering what the cycling situation's like.
    How hard is it to get out of town? What's the terrain like? how hard is
    it to find hils? I'll be working near Lenox Square Mall if that means
    anything (north of downtown). Any real mountains within driving
    distance? Healthy racing scene? What are the good pro bike shops?

  2. theres a big cycling scene in ATL. the terrain is moderately hilly in/around
    town. and there are some decent mountains (6 gap route, 100 miles and 6
    major climbs used in the tour de georgia) about an hour north of town in
    dahlonega. Traffic can be a [censored] at times, but if youre living/working
    intown it isnt too bad since you can avoid interstates for the most part.
    there are good group rides pretty much everyday (most days actually have
    multiple rides all over the place for various ability levels) of the week in
    town on fairly lightly trafficed roads around intown neighborhoods. group
    rides range from moderate/social to pretty much full blown race/sufferfests.
    there are a bunch of local teams in town as well if yorue into the racing
    scene. check out www.aaronscycling.com which is one of the larger ones (im
    also involved with we have people from rec riders to pro1/2s)
    good shops intown include outback bikes, peachtree bikes (closer to
    lenox/buckhead area), freeflite's also up in that neck of the woods though
    ive never been in there.

    "Chris Wiggins" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:2006030620242916807-cwiggins@maccom...

    Quoted message said:


    I'm considering moving to Atlanta soon, from Minneapolis. Excited about
    the change in climate but wondering what the cycling situation's like. How
    hard is it to get out of town? What's the terrain like? how hard is it to
    find hils? I'll be working near Lenox Square Mall if that means anything
    (north of downtown). Any real mountains within driving distance? Healthy
    racing scene? What are the good pro bike shops?

  3. Chris Wiggins said:


    I'm considering moving to Atlanta soon, from Minneapolis. Excited about
    the change in climate but wondering what the cycling situation's like.
    How hard is it to get out of town? What's the terrain like? how hard is
    it to find hils? I'll be working near Lenox Square Mall if that means
    anything (north of downtown). Any real mountains within driving
    distance? Healthy racing scene? What are the good pro bike shops?


    Ryan summed up the scene in Atlanta pretty well; you might want to check
    out http://www.sadlebred.com for a listing of group rides in the area as
    well as a racing calendar for the surrounding area. Also, I have spent
    time riding/racing in both Minneapolis and Atlanta, and I will say that
    Atlanta is harder to "get out of" on your bike than Minneapolis is. From
    where I was in Minneapolis (at the UofM), I remember being able to get
    to roads with corn growing next to them within 20-30 minutes of riding
    (I think anyway; you would probably know better than me since I was only
    there three months). In Atlanta it takes a lot longer to get to roads
    that anyone would consider remotely rural, and most of that time is
    going to be spent on busy 4-lane surface roads. It's not all bad,
    though, because some of the best riding in the Atlanta area is within
    the city limits, in the neighborhoods in the buckhead/vinings area.

    As for racing, the season is a lot longer and thicker than in Minnesota.
    You can find a race within three hours or so drive (and most are going
    to be less than two hours) on pretty much any weekend from mid February
    to mid October, and 'cross lasts until mid December if you're into that.
    Also, unlike in Minnesota, there is usually racing on both Saturday and
    Sunday, and many events are run as omniums. There's also a lot more road
    races. The turnout at most events is large enought that there are
    separate cat 3, 4, and 5 races (as opposed to having a 1/2/3 race and a
    4/5 race, which I saw a lot in Minn.) One thing that is missing is some
    sort of sanctioned mid-week training race, but to make up for that there
    is the "Marietta Crit," which is a completely unsanctioned group ride in
    an office park that is run in a crit format.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.