Training Regime for Around The Bay In A Day

Andrew Morris

Guest
Hi Folks,

I'm going to do ATBIAD with my girlfriends brother this year... What training regime can people
recommend?

At this stage, we're both going to do the ride on MTB's running slicks.... He is currently running
heaps, and doing about 20 km's a day... I'm doing about 40 km's a week, and don't have the time to
run at the moment, due to professional commitments...

Any suggestions appreciated ... :)

Andrew Morris wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm going to do ATBIAD with my girlfriends brother this year... What training regime can people
> recommend?
>
> At this stage, we're both going to do the ride on MTB's running slicks.... He is currently running
> heaps, and doing about 20 km's a day... I'm doing about 40 km's a week, and don't have the time to
> run at the moment, due to professional commitments...
>
> Any suggestions appreciated ... :)

Not sure if the running is of much value towards ATB unless you not going to carry any glue patches
:) Concentrate on building up the Km's by doing successively longer rides. I started 4 months
beforehand with a daily commute of 12Km. Then weekend rides starting at 40km then building up by
10-20km till I could comfortably do 100Km. I also threw in a few mid week 50's in the last two
months. The 2 weeks beforehand I dropped back to just the commute and 50Km or so on the weekend.
This was on the basis that if I didn't have the ability by then, the last 2 weeks weren't going to
make any difference.

And how did you go with the ride itself??? "NotZiggy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Andrew Morris wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I'm going to do ATBIAD with my girlfriends brother this year... What training regime can people
> > recommend?
> >
> > At this stage, we're both going to do the ride on MTB's running
slicks....
> > He is currently running heaps, and doing about 20 km's a day... I'm
doing
> > about 40 km's a week, and don't have the time to run at the moment, due
> > professional commitments...
> >
> > Any suggestions appreciated ... :)
> >

> Not sure if the running is of much value towards ATB unless you not going
> carry any glue patches :) Concentrate on building up the Km's by doing successively longer rides.
> I started 4 months beforehand with a daily commute of 12Km. Then weekend rides starting at 40km
> then building up by 10-20km till I
could
> comfortably do 100Km. I also threw in a few mid week 50's in the last two
months.
> The 2 weeks beforehand I dropped back to just the commute and 50Km or so
on the
> weekend. This was on the basis that if I didn't have the ability by then,
the last
> 2 weeks weren't going to make any difference.

From about May onwards I did 2 rides of around 25 - 30, another of 40 - 50, and then one longer ride of about 60 - 70 k per week. From about July onwards I started building up the longer ride to 90 to 120, with one ride of 150 k. Doing it on a mountain bike seems a little hard. I was on one of the earlier ferries (9:30) out of Queenscliffe and there was not one hybrid or mountain bike amongst the 100 or so bikes (all road bikes).
It was an enjoyable ride with much of the time spent in varying sized packs.

Good luck with the training.

"craiga" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Doing it on a mountain bike seems a little hard. I was on one of the earlier ferries (9:30) out
> of Queenscliffe and there was not one hybrid or mountain bike amongst the 100 or so bikes (all
> road bikes).

About 15 years ago a friend of mine was all set to do ATB when he fell off a penny farthing and
broke both wrists about 6 weeks before it. He found that while he couldn't handle the pressure of
drop bars, he was OK on his sisters old single speed. So he did the ride on a single speed ladies
frame with 'sit up and beg' handlebars.

> It was an enjoyable ride with much of the time spent in varying sized packs.

The response from the roadies when they discovered they had a single speed ladies bike at the lead
of the pack was something else. He finished the ride very happily - Roger has always been a very
fit rider.

Cheers Peter

"craiga" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> From about May onwards I did 2 rides of around 25 - 30, another of 40 - 50, and then one longer
> ride of about 60 - 70 k per week. From about July onwards I started building up the longer ride to
> 90 to 120, with one ride of 150 k. Doing it on a mountain bike seems a little hard. I was on one
> of the earlier ferries (9:30) out of Queenscliffe and there was not one hybrid or mountain bike
> amongst the 100 or so bikes (all road bikes). It was an enjoyable ride with much of the time spent
> in varying sized packs.
>
> Good luck with the training.

Thanks for the feedback... What time did you leave St Kilda, and which direction did you ride in??
I've done it in years gone by, and always gone anti-clockwise...

Might have to think about replacing my stolen roadie.... hmmmm .... I need an excuse... :)

First time, I was absolutely finished. Made the mistake after passing Frankston of acting like I
was on the home run. I forgot to drink and eat properly and bonked comprehensively. I ended up
sore, knees mostly. Found out later it was a bike setup problem that didn't show up on the shorter
(100Km) rides!

2 hours in the hot tub that night and a loooong sleep and the aches and pains were gone in a
couple of days.

The best thing was collecting the per/km sponsorhip fees from those who only thought I'd make it to
Geelong ;-)

RTB can be best enjoyed by riding your own ride. If you find others that are riding at your pace,
all well and good. But don't make the mistake of jumping on a peleton that is riding over your
ability. You will eventually drop off and find you have used all your reserves.

If you get in a peleton that suits you, take a turn at the front, even if its not for a long time,
it will be appreciated.

Above all ENJOY IT

Zig