Training Ride Nightmare

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Gemma_k, May 9, 2006.

  1. Gemma_k

    Gemma_k Guest

    This probably doesn't compare to some of the 'minor offs' or tales of road
    rage etc that interrupt other peoples' ability to ride... but it is the
    worst bicycle thing that has happened to me in some while that has affected
    my ability to ride....even worse than the knee reconstruction and cracked
    knee cap I reckon.

    I have a spare room with my bicycle workstand, bikes, tool kit, television
    and rollers etc. It's a pretty flashy room and I hope you're all suitably
    jealous. Significant Other dictates that I must roller in the spare room,
    not in the main lounge room for floor stainage, noise and 'odour' reasons.

    Yesterday the TV in the roller room blew up. Got sound but no picture. I
    can't roller without the TV. How will I cope? I usually don't have trouble
    justifying new bike bits - but a new TV?

    Gemm (feeling fatter and slower already, if that is at all possible ;-)

    Tags:

  2. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Are you sure it's plugged in?
    Can it be fixed?
    Will a stereo suffice?
    Do you have another TV?
    Do you have $200 for a replacement?

    Feel for me, I only have one bike and no rollers/mag-trainer..

    hippy

  3. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Gemma_k Wrote:
    > >
    > > Yesterday the TV in the roller room blew up. Got sound but no picture.
    > > can't roller without the TV. How will I cope? I usually don't have
    > > trouble
    > > justifying new bike bits - but a new TV?

    > Are you sure it's plugged in?
    > Can it be fixed?
    > Will a stereo suffice?
    > Do you have another TV?
    > Do you have $200 for a replacement?
    >
    > Feel for me, I only have one bike and no rollers/mag-trainer..

    and a new SCAR!

    man, that's going to look good when you get back and we give you a
    racing haircut :)

    > hippy
    >

    > --
    > hippy

  4. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    I tried watching cycling DVD's while indoor training, but I found once into the hard efforts I wasn't watching, coz I was concentrating so I don't bother with the DVD's anymore. Are you sure you are 'putting in'? :eek: :D
    Maybe it's that 'guy thing' about not being able to multitask:rolleyes:

  5. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Yeah.. broken bones are for pussies.. it's all about brain surgery now :D

    At the moment I need a haircut and the length covers the damage nicely. I'm curious about what it will look like with a fresh snip though..

    hippy
    chicks dig scars chicks dig scars chicks dig scars chicks dig scars

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    how 'significant' can this other be?

    priority check-time me_thinks :D:D:D

    PS TVs are silly cheap currently...

  7. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    hahaha lol
    It's all in jest dude.. you know I'm a NiceGuy(tm) ;)

    My priority is getting back to work so I can actually afford to live here..

    As for TVs and training, I had one on but it was the music that I 'needed' not the TV image. I used to play a lot of freeride vids because the music was usually pretty angry and fast and if it wasn't I'd supply the music and just have the TV playing in case I wanted to look at something other than the wall..

    Maybe setup and old computer in front of the bike and watch the screen saver? :)

    hippy

  8. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    Gemma_k <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yesterday the TV in the roller room blew up. Got sound but no picture. I
    > can't roller without the TV. How will I cope? I usually don't have trouble
    > justifying new bike bits - but a new TV?

    Unless yyu are intent on LCD, old CRT based TV's are cheap as chips
    these days. Cheaper than a good pair of sunnies. :)

    --
    ..dt

  9. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-05-09, hippy (aka Bruce)
    > chicks dig scars chicks dig scars chicks dig scars chicks dig scars

    Pssst. Hippy. It's all a lie.

    --
    TimC
    A transistor protected by a fast-acting fuse will protect

  10. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    :D thanks Tim, I needed a good laugh..... :) great line :)

  11. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2006-05-09, hippy (aka Bruce)
    >> chicks dig scars chicks dig scars chicks dig scars chicks dig scars

    > Pssst. Hippy. It's all a lie.

    At least it will be once the rumor gets around that it is a frontal
    lobotomy scar.

    Parbs

  12. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Gemma_k wrote:

    > This probably doesn't compare to some of the 'minor offs' or tales of road
    > rage etc that interrupt other peoples' ability to ride... but it is the
    > worst bicycle thing that has happened to me in some while that has affected
    > my ability to ride....even worse than the knee reconstruction and cracked
    > knee cap I reckon.
    >
    > I have a spare room with my bicycle workstand, bikes, tool kit, television
    > and rollers etc. It's a pretty flashy room and I hope you're all suitably
    > jealous. Significant Other dictates that I must roller in the spare room,
    > not in the main lounge room for floor stainage, noise and 'odour' reasons.
    >
    > Yesterday the TV in the roller room blew up. Got sound but no picture. I
    > can't roller without the TV. How will I cope? I usually don't have trouble
    > justifying new bike bits - but a new TV?
    >
    > Gemm (feeling fatter and slower already, if that is at all possible ;-)

    You could attach a pretty picture to the glass and pretend it goes with
    the sound...

    Tam

  13. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Parbs wrote:

    > TimC wrote:
    > > On 2006-05-09, hippy (aka Bruce)
    > > was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    > >> chicks dig scars chicks dig scars chicks dig scars chicks dig scars

    > > Pssst. Hippy. It's all a lie.
    > >

    > At least it will be once the rumor gets around that it is a frontal
    > lobotomy scar.
    >
    > Parbs

    Are you serious? I'm sure most women would be thrilled at the thought of
    a man who has had a frontal lobotomy... and at least it would explain
    certain aspects of his personality...

    ;)

    tam

  14. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Leading, of course, to that famous line "I'd rather have a bottle in front o' me than a frontal lobotomy"

    SteveA

  15. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:

    > Are you serious? I'm sure most women would be thrilled at the thought of
    > a man who has had a frontal lobotomy... and at least it would explain
    > certain aspects of his personality...
    >
    > ;)

    Yes, but did it fix them?

    Parbs - who agrees with Steve

  16. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Look at it this way, Gemm. If you go out and buy a bloody huge telly,
    then you'll have to ride a lot to justify it, and significant other
    will let you back in, if you bring the telly.

    Donga

  17. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    No it isn't.

  18. Friday

    Friday Guest

    Gemma_k wrote:
    > This probably doesn't compare to some of the 'minor offs' or tales of road
    > rage etc that interrupt other peoples' ability to ride... but it is the
    > worst bicycle thing that has happened to me in some while that has affected
    > my ability to ride....even worse than the knee reconstruction and cracked
    > knee cap I reckon.
    >
    > I have a spare room with my bicycle workstand, bikes, tool kit, television
    > and rollers etc. It's a pretty flashy room and I hope you're all suitably
    > jealous. Significant Other dictates that I must roller in the spare room,
    > not in the main lounge room for floor stainage, noise and 'odour' reasons.
    >
    > Yesterday the TV in the roller room blew up. Got sound but no picture. I
    > can't roller without the TV. How will I cope? I usually don't have trouble
    > justifying new bike bits - but a new TV?
    >
    > Gemm (feeling fatter and slower already, if that is at all possible ;-)

    Gemma you're looking at it from the wrong perspective, you have to see
    it as one of the best things that could have happened to you. Now you've
    got a great excuse to upgrade to a wide screen LCD TV. It's no use
    buying something which is superseded and soo yesterday, you just HAVE to
    get the newest and bestests.

    Friday

  19. Friday

    Friday Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:
    >
    >>and a new SCAR!
    >>man, that's going to look good when you get back and we give you a
    >>racing haircut :)
    >>

    > Yeah.. broken bones are for pussies.. it's all about brain surgery now
    > :D
    >
    > At the moment I need a haircut and the length covers the damage nicely.
    > I'm curious about what it will look like with a fresh snip though..
    >
    > hippy
    > chicks dig scars chicks dig scars chicks dig scars chicks dig scars

    That must be a real BBQ stopper, "Hey check out the scar from my brain
    surgery!"

    A friend of mine had a similar operation after being hit by a golf ball
    and was so impressed by the brain surgeon he threw in his job and went
    to university to study psychology.

    Friday

  20. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-05-10, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

    > TimC Wrote:
    >> On 2006-05-09, hippy (aka Bruce)
    >> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    >> > chicks dig scars chicks dig scars chicks dig scars chicks dig scars

    >> Pssst. Hippy. It's all a lie.

    > No it isn't.

    OK, more accurately, it hasn't worked for me. But there may be more
    fundamental reasons for that.

    -- Ti "I took a personality test and failed" mC.