Training Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Kunich

Last year at this time I had over 2,000 miles in my legs.

This year, thanks to working, I barely have a little over 700.

Then for the last four weeks I first hurt my back so I could barely walk and then came down with a
bladder infection which showed up as a really bad case of the ultra-slows before the classic
symptoms (felt like a flame thrower) appeared.

Finally I've finished off my drugs and seemed to be feeling up to a nice ride so I did 65 miles
today. I was with a group and found that not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride from
the back to the front at will. Maybe there's a bit of leftover fitness from before I started feeling
bad is back but it sure surprised me.

Now how long is it going to take me to get back on track?

You said: "Finally I've finished off my drugs..."

Then you said: "...not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride from the back to the
front at will."

Uhhh.... what were you taking?

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... Last year at this time I had over 2,000
miles in my legs.

This year, thanks to working, I barely have a little over 700.

Then for the last four weeks I first hurt my back so I could barely walk and then came down with a
bladder infection which showed up as a really bad case of the ultra-slows before the classic
symptoms (felt like a flame thrower) appeared.

Finally I've finished off my drugs and seemed to be feeling up to a nice ride so I did 65 miles
today. I was with a group and found that not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride from
the back to the front at will. Maybe there's a bit of leftover fitness from before I started feeling
bad is back but it sure surprised me.

Now how long is it going to take me to get back on track?

"EP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You said: "Finally I've finished off my drugs..."
>
> Then you said: "...not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride
from the back to the front at will."
>
> Uhhh.... what were you taking?

Antibiotics, for the clap that he contacted hanging around bath houses!

> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Last year at this time I had over 2,000 miles in my legs.
>
> This year, thanks to working, I barely have a little over 700.
>
> Then for the last four weeks I first hurt my back so I could barely walk and then came down with a
> bladder infection which showed up as a really bad case of the ultra-slows before the classic
> symptoms (felt like a flame thrower) appeared.
>
> Finally I've finished off my drugs and seemed to be feeling up to a nice ride so I did 65 miles
> today. I was with a group and found that not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride from
> the back to the front at will. Maybe there's a bit of leftover fitness from before I started
> feeling bad is back but it sure surprised me.
>
> Now how long is it going to take me to get back on track?

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
<[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
> Then for the last four weeks I first hurt my back so I could barely walk and then came down with a
> bladder infection which showed up as a really bad case of the ultra-slows before the classic
>
> Finally I've finished off my drugs and seemed to be feeling up to a nice ride so I did 65 miles
> today. I was with a group and found that not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride from
> the back to the front at will. Maybe there's a bit of leftover fitness from before I started
>

First thing might be to count hours instead of miles. Next thing to know is, what track are you
referring to?

-WG

You need to ask Tom Kunich. He's an expert.

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:300320032032395753%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Last year at this time I had over 2,000 miles in my legs.
> >
> > This year, thanks to working, I barely have a little over 700.
> >
> > Then for the last four weeks I first hurt my back so I could barely walk and then came down with
> > a bladder infection which showed up as a really bad case of the ultra-slows before the classic
> > symptoms (felt like a flame thrower) appeared.
> >
> > Finally I've finished off my drugs and seemed to be feeling up to a nice ride so I did 65 miles
> > today. I was with a group and found that not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride
> > from the back to the front at will. Maybe there's a bit of leftover fitness from before I
> > started feeling bad is back but it sure surprised me.
> >
> > Now how long is it going to take me to get back on track?
>
> First thing might be to count hours instead of miles. Next thing to know is, what track are you
> referring to?
>
> -WG

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
>
>

Deez

Here's a hint - althogh I had on sunblock 50 I still got sunburned.

"EP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> You said: "Finally I've finished off my drugs..."
>
> Then you said: "...not only did I have my fitness back but I could
ride from the back to the front at will."
>
> Uhhh.... what were you taking?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> bladder infection which showed up as
a
> really bad case of the ultra-slows before the classic symptoms (felt like a flame thrower)
> appeared.
>
> the back
to
> the front at will. Maybe there's a bit of leftover fitness from
before
> I started feeling bad is back but it sure surprised me.
>
>

Actually everyone wants to know that I could kick your ass with one leg.

"Deeznuts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Last year at this time I had over 2,000 miles in my legs.
> >
> > This year, thanks to working, I barely have a little over 700.
> >
> > Then for the last four weeks I first hurt my back so I could
barely
> > walk and then came down with a bladder infection which showed up
as a
> > really bad case of the ultra-slows before the classic symptoms
(felt
> > like a flame thrower) appeared.
> >
> > Finally I've finished off my drugs and seemed to be feeling up to
a
> > nice ride so I did 65 miles today. I was with a group and found
that
> > not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride from the back
to
> > the front at will. Maybe there's a bit of leftover fitness from
before
> > I started feeling bad is back but it sure surprised me.
>
>

>
> Deez

> "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:300320032032395753%[email protected]...
> >
> > First thing might be to count hours instead of miles. Next thing to know is, what track are you
> > referring to?
>
> Heyer Park is the only track near here. :)

Hellyer isn't the track I was referring to. Even I know you have never ridden there. You said back
on track. I assume you meant back to where you were wrt fitness level. What I wondered was, what was
that fitness level.

-WG

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:310320032000123410%[email protected]...
>
> > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:300320032032395753%[email protected]...
> > >
> > > First thing might be to count hours instead of miles. Next thing
to
> > > know is, what track are you referring to?
> >
> > Heyer Park is the only track near here. :)
>
> Hellyer isn't the track I was referring to. Even I know you have
never
> ridden there. You said back on track. I assume you meant back to
where
> you were wrt fitness level. What I wondered was, what was that
fitness
> level.

I was hoping to get back to where I could race masters again but so far I've lost too much top end
speed and it would take a year to get that back. I'm topping out at 29 mph these days. Though I did
hold 28 for a couple of miles yesterday. I don't think you can race if you can't hit 32 without too
much effort.

> I was hoping to get back to where I could race masters again but so far I've lost too much top end
> speed and it would take a year to get that back. I'm topping out at 29 mph these days. Though I
> did hold 28 for a couple of miles yesterday. I don't think you can race if you can't hit 32
> without too much effort.

Your training max speed is irrelevant for hanging in the pack. When I do intervals 5 minutes on,
5 minutes off, I'm going about 23-24 mph and that is enough to get through most 35+ 1,2,3 races
that average
26.5-27.5 mph, and alot more than enough to get you through a 4,5 race. If you did those 5 minute
intervals times 5 at 0-5 beats below your LT and also some 10-12 minute intervals times 3 at 5-10
beats below your LT, one time a week for each type for 6 weeks you'd be fine in a 4,5's race. Of
course there are other things to do in training but this would be enough intensity training to
get you to the finish.

-WG

Hell Warren, if I could bring myself to suffer through intervals I could have been a star. :)-)) I
got all of my intervals through MTB riding and racing. The thought of doing a 5 minute interval at
95% is preposterous let alone 5 of them.

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:010420030821337122%[email protected]...
>
> > I was hoping to get back to where I could race masters again but
so
> > far I've lost too much top end speed and it would take a year to
get
> > that back. I'm topping out at 29 mph these days. Though I did hold
> > for a couple of miles yesterday. I don't think you can race if you can't hit 32 without too much
> > effort.
>
> Your training max speed is irrelevant for hanging in the pack. When
I
> do intervals 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off, I'm going about 23-24 mph
and
> that is enough to get through most 35+ 1,2,3 races that average
> 26.5-27.5 mph, and alot more than enough to get you through a 4,5
race.
> If you did those 5 minute intervals times 5 at 0-5 beats below your
LT
> and also some 10-12 minute intervals times 3 at 5-10 beats below
your
> LT, one time a week for each type for 6 weeks you'd be fine in a
4,5's
> race. Of course there are other things to do in training but this
would
> be enough intensity training to get you to the finish.
>
> -WG

> Hell Warren, if I could bring myself to suffer through intervals I could have been a star. :)-)) I
> got all of my intervals through MTB riding and racing. The thought of doing a 5 minute interval at
> 95% is preposterous let alone 5 of them.

95% of your LT is preposterous? If your LT is low then so is 95% of it. I think these intervals are
about the easiest ones I do. Virtually no pain, just breathing a bit hard.

-WG

warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<010420032100569836%[email protected]>...
>
> > Hell Warren, if I could bring myself to suffer through intervals I could have been a star. :)-))
> > I got all of my intervals through MTB riding and racing. The thought of doing a 5 minute
> > interval at 95% is preposterous let alone 5 of them.
>
> 95% of your LT is preposterous? If your LT is low then so is 95% of it. I think these intervals
> are about the easiest ones I do. Virtually no pain, just breathing a bit hard.

Do you also hit yourself over the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop?

> warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<010420032100569836%[email protected]>...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hell Warren, if I could bring myself to suffer through intervals I could have been a star.
> > > :)-)) I got all of my intervals through MTB riding and racing. The thought of doing a 5 minute
> > > interval at 95% is preposterous let alone 5 of them.
> >
> > 95% of your LT is preposterous? If your LT is low then so is 95% of it. I think these intervals
> > are about the easiest ones I do. Virtually no pain, just breathing a bit hard.
>
> Do you also hit yourself over the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop?

LT intervals are not painful because they are supposed to be done (at least for the first few weeks)
at an intensity that is below LT, i.e. below the intensity where lactic acid will accumulate in your
legs, hence, there is no pain during the intervals. Even the breathing will not be that rapid
because you will be below your LT (when breathing usually changes) and below your ventilary
threshold (where your breathing does become more rapid). Therefore, there is no pain, or at least
very little. Now if you want to do lactic tolerance intervals there will be lots of pain, but these
aren't really needed to get through a 4,5 criterium or most 4,5 rr's.

-WG

I was talking about 95% of max which should be over though near your
LT.

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:020420031515537314%[email protected]...
>
> > warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<010420032100569836%[email protected]>...
> > > In article
<[email protected]>,
> > > Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > > Hell Warren, if I could bring myself to suffer through
intervals I
> > > > could have been a star. :)-)) I got all of my intervals
through MTB
> > > > riding and racing. The thought of doing a 5 minute interval at
95% is
> > > > preposterous let alone 5 of them.
> > >
> > > 95% of your LT is preposterous? If your LT is low then so is 95%
of it.
> > > I think these intervals are about the easiest ones I do.
Virtually no
> > > pain, just breathing a bit hard.
> >
> > Do you also hit yourself over the head with a hammer because it
feels
> > so good when you stop?
>
> LT intervals are not painful because they are supposed to be done
(at
> least for the first few weeks) at an intensity that is below LT,
L.U.
> below the intensity where lactic acid will accumulate in your legs, hence, there is no pain during
> the intervals. Even the breathing
will
> not be that rapid because you will be below your LT (when breathing usually changes) and below
> your ventilary threshold (where your breathing does become more rapid). Therefore, there is no
> pain, or
at
> least very little. Now if you want to do lactic tolerance intervals there will be lots of pain,
> but these aren't really needed to get through a 4,5 criterium or most 4,5 rr's.
>
> -WG

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 23:19:00 GMT, warren <[email protected]> wrote:

>Now if you want to do lactic tolerance intervals there will be lots of pain, but these aren't
>really needed to get through a 4,5 criterium or most 4,5 rr's.

Are you kidding?

--
Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen

In article <[email protected]>, Top Sirloin

> On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 23:19:00 GMT, warren <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Now if you want to do lactic tolerance intervals there will be lots of pain, but these aren't
> >really needed to get through a 4,5 criterium or most 4,5 rr's.
>
> Are you kidding?

No. Other, less painful/intense forms of training should be enough to get you through those events.

-WG

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 00:54:26 GMT, warren <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Top Sirloin
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 23:19:00 GMT, warren <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Now if you want to do lactic tolerance intervals there will be lots of pain, but these aren't
>> >really needed to get through a 4,5 criterium or most 4,5 rr's.
>>
>> Are you kidding?
>
>No. Other, less painful/intense forms of training should be enough to get you through those events.

What if I want to crush and humilate?

Here's what I'm doing now:

Saturday: 1-2 hours of "just riding" Sunday: 2-3 hours of "just riding" + weights

Tuesday and Thursday: Bickmore's interval workout he had on bicyclecam.com + weights.

--
Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen

Status
Not open for further replies.