Training Ride

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Kunich, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Last year at this time I had over 2,000 miles in my legs.

    This year, thanks to working, I barely have a little over 700.

    Then for the last four weeks I first hurt my back so I could barely walk and then came down with a
    bladder infection which showed up as a really bad case of the ultra-slows before the classic
    symptoms (felt like a flame thrower) appeared.

    Finally I've finished off my drugs and seemed to be feeling up to a nice ride so I did 65 miles
    today. I was with a group and found that not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride from
    the back to the front at will. Maybe there's a bit of leftover fitness from before I started feeling
    bad is back but it sure surprised me.

    Now how long is it going to take me to get back on track?

    Tags:

  2. Ep

    Ep Guest

    You said: "Finally I've finished off my drugs..."

    Then you said: "...not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride from the back to the
    front at will."

    Uhhh.... what were you taking?

    news:[email protected]... Last year at this time I had over 2,000
    miles in my legs.

    This year, thanks to working, I barely have a little over 700.

    Then for the last four weeks I first hurt my back so I could barely walk and then came down with a
    bladder infection which showed up as a really bad case of the ultra-slows before the classic
    symptoms (felt like a flame thrower) appeared.

    Finally I've finished off my drugs and seemed to be feeling up to a nice ride so I did 65 miles
    today. I was with a group and found that not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride from
    the back to the front at will. Maybe there's a bit of leftover fitness from before I started feeling
    bad is back but it sure surprised me.

    Now how long is it going to take me to get back on track?

  3. Bosaci

    Bosaci Guest

    "EP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You said: "Finally I've finished off my drugs..."
    >
    > Then you said: "...not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride
    from the back to the front at will."

    > Uhhh.... what were you taking?

    Antibiotics, for the clap that he contacted hanging around bath houses!

    > Last year at this time I had over 2,000 miles in my legs.
    >
    > This year, thanks to working, I barely have a little over 700.
    >
    > Then for the last four weeks I first hurt my back so I could barely walk and then came down with a
    > bladder infection which showed up as a really bad case of the ultra-slows before the classic
    > symptoms (felt like a flame thrower) appeared.
    >
    > Finally I've finished off my drugs and seemed to be feeling up to a nice ride so I did 65 miles
    > today. I was with a group and found that not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride from
    > the back to the front at will. Maybe there's a bit of leftover fitness from before I started
    > feeling bad is back but it sure surprised me.
    >
    > Now how long is it going to take me to get back on track?

  4. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Last year at this time I had over 2,000 miles in my legs.
    >
    > This year, thanks to working, I barely have a little over 700.
    >
    > Then for the last four weeks I first hurt my back so I could barely walk and then came down with a
    > bladder infection which showed up as a really bad case of the ultra-slows before the classic
    > symptoms (felt like a flame thrower) appeared.
    >
    > Finally I've finished off my drugs and seemed to be feeling up to a nice ride so I did 65 miles
    > today. I was with a group and found that not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride from
    > the back to the front at will. Maybe there's a bit of leftover fitness from before I started
    > feeling bad is back but it sure surprised me.
    >
    > Now how long is it going to take me to get back on track?

    First thing might be to count hours instead of miles. Next thing to know is, what track are you
    referring to?

    -WG

  5. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    You need to ask Tom Kunich. He's an expert.

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:300320032032395753%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Last year at this time I had over 2,000 miles in my legs.
    > >
    > > This year, thanks to working, I barely have a little over 700.
    > >
    > > Then for the last four weeks I first hurt my back so I could barely walk and then came down with
    > > a bladder infection which showed up as a really bad case of the ultra-slows before the classic
    > > symptoms (felt like a flame thrower) appeared.
    > >
    > > Finally I've finished off my drugs and seemed to be feeling up to a nice ride so I did 65 miles
    > > today. I was with a group and found that not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride
    > > from the back to the front at will. Maybe there's a bit of leftover fitness from before I
    > > started feeling bad is back but it sure surprised me.
    > >
    > > Now how long is it going to take me to get back on track?
    >
    > First thing might be to count hours instead of miles. Next thing to know is, what track are you
    > referring to?
    >
    > -WG

  6. Deeznuts

    Deeznuts Guest

    > Last year at this time I had over 2,000 miles in my legs.
    >
    > This year, thanks to working, I barely have a little over 700.
    >
    > Then for the last four weeks I first hurt my back so I could barely walk and then came down with a
    > bladder infection which showed up as a really bad case of the ultra-slows before the classic
    > symptoms (felt like a flame thrower) appeared.
    >
    > Finally I've finished off my drugs and seemed to be feeling up to a nice ride so I did 65 miles
    > today. I was with a group and found that not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride from
    > the back to the front at will. Maybe there's a bit of leftover fitness from before I started
    > feeling bad is back but it sure surprised me.

    Deez

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Here's a hint - althogh I had on sunblock 50 I still got sunburned.

    "EP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You said: "Finally I've finished off my drugs..."
    >
    > Then you said: "...not only did I have my fitness back but I could
    ride from the back to the front at will."

    > Uhhh.... what were you taking?

    > Last year at this time I had over 2,000 miles in my legs.
    >
    > This year, thanks to working, I barely have a little over 700.
    >
    > Then for the last four weeks I first hurt my back so I could barely walk and then came down with a
    > bladder infection which showed up as
    > really bad case of the ultra-slows before the classic symptoms (felt like a flame thrower)
    > appeared.
    >
    > Finally I've finished off my drugs and seemed to be feeling up to a nice ride so I did 65 miles
    > today. I was with a group and found that not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride from
    > the back
    > the front at will. Maybe there's a bit of leftover fitness from
    before
    > I started feeling bad is back but it sure surprised me.
    >
    > Now how long is it going to take me to get back on track?

  8. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

  9. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Actually everyone wants to know that I could kick your ass with one leg.

    "Deeznuts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Last year at this time I had over 2,000 miles in my legs.
    > >
    > > This year, thanks to working, I barely have a little over 700.
    > >
    > > Then for the last four weeks I first hurt my back so I could
    barely
    > > walk and then came down with a bladder infection which showed up
    as a
    > > really bad case of the ultra-slows before the classic symptoms
    (felt
    > > like a flame thrower) appeared.
    > >
    > > Finally I've finished off my drugs and seemed to be feeling up to
    > > nice ride so I did 65 miles today. I was with a group and found
    that
    > > not only did I have my fitness back but I could ride from the back
    > > the front at will. Maybe there's a bit of leftover fitness from
    before
    > > I started feeling bad is back but it sure surprised me.
    >

    > Deez

  10. Warren

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:300320032032395753%[email protected]...
    > >
    > > First thing might be to count hours instead of miles. Next thing to know is, what track are you
    > > referring to?
    >
    > Heyer Park is the only track near here. :)

    Hellyer isn't the track I was referring to. Even I know you have never ridden there. You said back
    on track. I assume you meant back to where you were wrt fitness level. What I wondered was, what was
    that fitness level.

    -WG

  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:310320032000123410%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:300320032032395753%[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > First thing might be to count hours instead of miles. Next thing
    > > > know is, what track are you referring to?
    > >
    > > Heyer Park is the only track near here. :)
    >
    > Hellyer isn't the track I was referring to. Even I know you have
    never
    > ridden there. You said back on track. I assume you meant back to
    where
    > you were wrt fitness level. What I wondered was, what was that
    fitness
    > level.

    I was hoping to get back to where I could race masters again but so far I've lost too much top end
    speed and it would take a year to get that back. I'm topping out at 29 mph these days. Though I did
    hold 28 for a couple of miles yesterday. I don't think you can race if you can't hit 32 without too
    much effort.

  12. Warren

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I was hoping to get back to where I could race masters again but so far I've lost too much top end
    > speed and it would take a year to get that back. I'm topping out at 29 mph these days. Though I
    > did hold 28 for a couple of miles yesterday. I don't think you can race if you can't hit 32
    > without too much effort.

    Your training max speed is irrelevant for hanging in the pack. When I do intervals 5 minutes on,
    5 minutes off, I'm going about 23-24 mph and that is enough to get through most 35+ 1,2,3 races
    that average
    26.5-27.5 mph, and alot more than enough to get you through a 4,5 race. If you did those 5 minute
    intervals times 5 at 0-5 beats below your LT and also some 10-12 minute intervals times 3 at 5-10
    beats below your LT, one time a week for each type for 6 weeks you'd be fine in a 4,5's race. Of
    course there are other things to do in training but this would be enough intensity training to
    get you to the finish.

    -WG

  13. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Hell Warren, if I could bring myself to suffer through intervals I could have been a star. :)-)) I
    got all of my intervals through MTB riding and racing. The thought of doing a 5 minute interval at
    95% is preposterous let alone 5 of them.

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:010420030821337122%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]rthlink.net>, Tom Kunich
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I was hoping to get back to where I could race masters again but
    so
    > > far I've lost too much top end speed and it would take a year to
    get
    > > that back. I'm topping out at 29 mph these days. Though I did hold
    28
    > > for a couple of miles yesterday. I don't think you can race if you can't hit 32 without too much
    > > effort.
    >
    > Your training max speed is irrelevant for hanging in the pack. When
    > do intervals 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off, I'm going about 23-24 mph
    and
    > that is enough to get through most 35+ 1,2,3 races that average
    > 26.5-27.5 mph, and alot more than enough to get you through a 4,5
    race.
    > If you did those 5 minute intervals times 5 at 0-5 beats below your
    LT
    > and also some 10-12 minute intervals times 3 at 5-10 beats below
    your
    > LT, one time a week for each type for 6 weeks you'd be fine in a
    4,5's
    > race. Of course there are other things to do in training but this
    would
    > be enough intensity training to get you to the finish.
    >
    > -WG

  14. Warren

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hell Warren, if I could bring myself to suffer through intervals I could have been a star. :)-)) I
    > got all of my intervals through MTB riding and racing. The thought of doing a 5 minute interval at
    > 95% is preposterous let alone 5 of them.

    95% of your LT is preposterous? If your LT is low then so is 95% of it. I think these intervals are
    about the easiest ones I do. Virtually no pain, just breathing a bit hard.

    -WG

  15. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<010420032100569836%[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hell Warren, if I could bring myself to suffer through intervals I could have been a star. :)-))
    > > I got all of my intervals through MTB riding and racing. The thought of doing a 5 minute
    > > interval at 95% is preposterous let alone 5 of them.
    >
    > 95% of your LT is preposterous? If your LT is low then so is 95% of it. I think these intervals
    > are about the easiest ones I do. Virtually no pain, just breathing a bit hard.

    Do you also hit yourself over the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop?

  16. Warren

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<010420032100569836%[email protected]>...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hell Warren, if I could bring myself to suffer through intervals I could have been a star.
    > > > :)-)) I got all of my intervals through MTB riding and racing. The thought of doing a 5 minute
    > > > interval at 95% is preposterous let alone 5 of them.
    > >
    > > 95% of your LT is preposterous? If your LT is low then so is 95% of it. I think these intervals
    > > are about the easiest ones I do. Virtually no pain, just breathing a bit hard.
    >
    > Do you also hit yourself over the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop?

    LT intervals are not painful because they are supposed to be done (at least for the first few weeks)
    at an intensity that is below LT, i.e. below the intensity where lactic acid will accumulate in your
    legs, hence, there is no pain during the intervals. Even the breathing will not be that rapid
    because you will be below your LT (when breathing usually changes) and below your ventilary
    threshold (where your breathing does become more rapid). Therefore, there is no pain, or at least
    very little. Now if you want to do lactic tolerance intervals there will be lots of pain, but these
    aren't really needed to get through a 4,5 criterium or most 4,5 rr's.

    -WG

  17. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    I was talking about 95% of max which should be over though near your
    LT.

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:020420031515537314%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<010420032100569836%[email protected]>...
    > > > In article
    <[email protected]>,

    > > > 95% of your LT is preposterous? If your LT is low then so is 95%
    of it.
    > > > I think these intervals are about the easiest ones I do.
    Virtually no
    > > > pain, just breathing a bit hard.
    > >
    > > Do you also hit yourself over the head with a hammer because it
    feels
    > > so good when you stop?
    >
    > LT intervals are not painful because they are supposed to be done
    (at
    > least for the first few weeks) at an intensity that is below LT,
    L.U.
    > below the intensity where lactic acid will accumulate in your legs, hence, there is no pain during
    > the intervals. Even the breathing
    will
    > not be that rapid because you will be below your LT (when breathing usually changes) and below
    > your ventilary threshold (where your breathing does become more rapid). Therefore, there is no
    > pain, or
    at
    > least very little. Now if you want to do lactic tolerance intervals there will be lots of pain,
    > but these aren't really needed to get through a 4,5 criterium or most 4,5 rr's.
    >
    > -WG

  18. Top Sirloin

    Top Sirloin Guest

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 23:19:00 GMT, warren <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Now if you want to do lactic tolerance intervals there will be lots of pain, but these aren't
    >really needed to get through a 4,5 criterium or most 4,5 rr's.

    Are you kidding?

    --
    Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
    top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen

  19. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Top Sirloin
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 23:19:00 GMT, warren <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Now if you want to do lactic tolerance intervals there will be lots of pain, but these aren't
    > >really needed to get through a 4,5 criterium or most 4,5 rr's.
    >
    > Are you kidding?

    No. Other, less painful/intense forms of training should be enough to get you through those events.

    -WG

  20. Top Sirloin

    Top Sirloin Guest

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 00:54:26 GMT, warren <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Top Sirloin
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 23:19:00 GMT, warren <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Now if you want to do lactic tolerance intervals there will be lots of pain, but these aren't
    >> >really needed to get through a 4,5 criterium or most 4,5 rr's.
    >>
    >> Are you kidding?
    >
    >No. Other, less painful/intense forms of training should be enough to get you through those events.

    What if I want to crush and humilate?

    Here's what I'm doing now:

    Saturday: 1-2 hours of "just riding" Sunday: 2-3 hours of "just riding" + weights

    Tuesday and Thursday: Bickmore's interval workout he had on bicyclecam.com + weights.