Training Rides in/Around Geelong

AussieRob

Mar 7, 2005
I am heading home to Geelong from NY for a month and was looking for a good training ride. Anyone know of any decent groups?

Anyone know any good routes? I know Geelong - Torquay - Pt. Lonsdale etc.
What about Colac? I know the traffic out that way can be crazy.

Lastly anyone know any rides in the Brisbane ranges?

Thanks

Rob M

Its not strictly in Geelong but there is a good training ride which starts at 8am Sunday outside Hendrys bike shop in Ocean Grove. It goes from Ocean Grove to Torquay and back. Pace to Torquay is about 34kmh. The ride splits up in Torquay usually with 3 different speed groups. One of the groups speed should suit.

There is a ride in Geelong which leaves from South Barwon Reserve at 8am also on a Sunday. The Reserve is on the corner of Barwon Heads road and Breakwater road. Melways ed 31 Map 466 A1. They go to Barwon Heads via the Barwon Heads road then back to Geelong via Grubb road. This ride is quite fast with the speed rarely falling below 37kmh and usually sitting on about 45kmh with many surges in speed above that. Good training if you are racing.

Cheers

Saturday morning at 7 am from the Grovedale Hotel Carpark, goes to Torquay. Big bunch, had about 60 riders this past Sat.

Thanks boys

Craig, do you know aprox. distance and speed?

Mogulhead, the South Barwon Reserve ride sounds about right for me. Do you have any idea of the distance (its been a while since I've been home).

Lastly any of you boys doing the Wed. (or monday for that matter) track sessions at the Geelong Cycling Club? And do you know what their summer road series is like?

Rob M

AussieRob said:
Thanks boys

Mogulhead, the South Barwon Reserve ride sounds about right for me. Do you have any idea of the distance (its been a while since I've been home).

Lastly any of you boys doing the Wed. (or monday for that matter) track sessions at the Geelong Cycling Club? And do you know what their summer road series is like?

Rob M

Torquay ride is about 50K, at around a leasurley 35kph, sprint at end of horseshoe bend road.

South Barwon Reserve ride is about 60k roughly.

You also asked about riding in the Brisbane Ranges, I don't go out that way myself, but I like the hills out Barrabool road through Ceres. Dont know of any bunches that go out there, but It is a good training ride.

AussieRob said:
Thanks boys

Rob M

I don't do track racing but the details of the summer series can be seen here. The circuit is a flat rectangle.

cheers