training rides/races in San Jose / Palo Alto area

gvad

Guest
Heading to San Jose from DC for business and am looking for some hard
tempo rides in the San Jose / Palo Alto area for both weekdays and the
weekends. I will be in town 3/7 -3/13

Looking for both weekday and weekend rides as I will be in town a full
week. Hopefully a Saturday ride of 4 - 5 hours or even a race. I may
be a little pasty compared to the Cali riders, but we have been able to
train most of the winter on the east coast.

Thanks, Greg

gvad wrote:
> Heading to San Jose from DC for business and am looking for some hard
> tempo rides in the San Jose / Palo Alto area for both weekdays and the
> weekends. I will be in town 3/7 -3/13
>
> Looking for both weekday and weekend rides as I will be in town a full
> week. Hopefully a Saturday ride of 4 - 5 hours or even a race. I may
> be a little pasty compared to the Cali riders, but we have been able to
> train most of the winter on the east coast.
>
> Thanks, Greg

Check the Alto Velo web site for the "A" ride.

- Dave

"gvad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Heading to San Jose from DC for business and am looking for some hard
> tempo rides in the San Jose / Palo Alto area for both weekdays and the
> weekends. I will be in town 3/7 -3/13
>
> Looking for both weekday and weekend rides as I will be in town a full
> week. Hopefully a Saturday ride of 4 - 5 hours or even a race. I may
> be a little pasty compared to the Cali riders, but we have been able to
> train most of the winter on the east coast.

Someone already noted Alto Velo. Pasty or not you better be good to ride
with that crowd. And you better be able to climb.

Is there an Alto Velo ride on Saturday? Don't worry, I can ride :)

Is the Saturday ride, The Spectrum ride" Saturday I would like to get
4-5 hours in wth some intensity and tempo and I assume climbing. Is
"The Spectrum" ride the ride I want for these purposes on Saturday, or

gvad wrote:
> Heading to San Jose from DC for business and am looking for some hard
> tempo rides in the San Jose / Palo Alto area for both weekdays and the
> weekends. I will be in town 3/7 -3/13
>
> Looking for both weekday and weekend rides as I will be in town a full
> week. Hopefully a Saturday ride of 4 - 5 hours or even a race. I may
> be a little pasty compared to the Cali riders, but we have been able to
> train most of the winter on the east coast.
>
> Thanks, Greg

I recommend the Palo Alto Morning ride. From the Starbucks on the main
drag. When is that, 7am? Tuesday and Thursday? Some local can fill in
the details. The last time I did it, it started before sunrise and it
was a bit of a faux pas not to have my own lighting system. They sprint
for the firehouses.

Bret

If you have a car go to Santa Cruz for the Saterday Ride. Ride meets
and leaves from the Crows Nest/Marina @ 8am. There will only be 15-20
people starting in the Marina, but by the time you get to Aptos the
ride will be 70-100 people deep. You have several options for
distance, the longest loop is about 90 miles. I choose this ride over
the spectram ride any day. Feel free to e-mail me for more details.
[email protected]

gvad wrote:

> How long (miles and time) is the Spectrum Ride? I take it someone in
> Palo Alto will be able to point me to "The Spectrum" What time does
> the ride leave from the Spectrum? Is this the big group ride for Sat
> in the Palo Alto area? Is the Spectrum ride a Sat only ride?

There isn't any "The Spectrum." It was a bike shop that
has been out of business for a while, but the ride is
still named after it.

AFAIK the Alto Velo A ride is on Sunday.

The roads in the Santa Cruz mountains (between PA and Santa
Cruz) are really good riding so choosing a ride based on the
route rather than on the number of stopsign sprints is a
good idea.

gvad wrote:

> thanks, One question, how long (miles and time) is the Spectrum Ride?
> I take it someone in Palo Alto will be able to point me to "The
> Spectrum" What time does the ride leave from the Spectrum? Is The
> Spectrum ride the standard group ride for racers in the area? I have
> to check to see how far Santa Cruz is from Palo Alto, this will most
> likely determine which ride I do.

Ahh...excuse me...I don't think we need to have 50,000 emails on RBR
about your training rides. Take it to email.

And thhe next time you use a smiley face in an email, I recommend you
get tested for HIV.

Thanks,

Magilla