Training Rides

saddlesore

Apr 10, 2003
Tell me your favourite training ride.

I live in the South East of England so my fave is a circular ride between the towns of Tenderten and Rye in Kent.
There's hardly any traffic at all great scenery and a few hills (I hate em!). Its 33 miles/53 kms in total. I'm relatively new to the sport so I polish it off in about 2.5 hours at around an average speed of 15mph. Always ride solo not especially out of preference but because my irregular working hours mean I can't join a club.

This ride takes in Tenderten, Appledore, Rye and Peasmarsh.

Tell me your favourite training ride or perhaps you do the one above. I'd love to hear from you.

I live in Southern Lower Michigan, USA and my favorite route is from the village of Colon (yep, wadda name) down Burr Oak - Colon road to the village of Burr Oak then across Witt Lake road to Sturgis, MI and from Sturgis back M-86 to Colon. The return from Sturgis to Colon is really cool as the highway has a buggy lane as this portion of Michigan hosts a large Amish Community, so there are lots of horses and buggies. No worries about the traffic on the return ride, which incidently almost always has the wind at my back. It is a 32 mile round trip. Very enjoyable.

Good riding to you.

Mine ride is pretty short - from home at Kenley, to Whhyteleafe, up Whyteleafe Hill (good training for Ditchling I hope) across the top to Chaldon, down to Hooley at over 35mph, then up the A23 to Purley and home. Its good because its a reasonable workout for a returning biker like me, I can increase the laps later on, and best of all I can see my times falling. I have only been back into it for about 3 weeks but have dropped my time by 25 mins and no longer have to walk up the big hill. I race up it a bit now. I'll have to get down to the Tenterden area mate, looks like nice riding. Ive done a fair bit of riding around there on my motorbikes.

Hi,

I have 2 favorite rides , I'm in Montreal,Quebec.

1- Womens World cup circuit.

This ride last about 8.5 kms per lap. Its mostly a climbing ride. The ride goes on top of Mount Royal through Camilien Houde (Nastiest hill in the City) and then goes back down and around the northern base of the Mount.Currently I manage 3-4 laps of this circuit before my legs tap out :) In the womens world cup they ride this circuit 12 times. (My personal goal if to ride it 8 times in a row by summer's end)

2- F1 Circuit.

The Canadian Gp track is about 15 minutes away from my home so I warm up while riding to the track and then I do some laps usually I will do between 10-15 laps. It takes me about 8 minutes to complete a lap at about 30 km/h average speed.

Unfortunately I ride these pretty alone all the time although I do tag along to faster riders than me in order to get me to go faster and learn to follow riders closely to benefit from the draft.

I'd also like to hear from people who have tried on those two rides ?

alp!