Training Rides

Veeral

Apr 14, 2003
G'dday,

I am just getting back into riding and wouldnt mind pairing up with a few riders in the weekends those heading down beach road in melbourne. The problem is that I need to pace with other slightly faster riders than myself. If anyone is heading down beach road this weekend via Elwood then drop me off a line.

thanks
Veeral

Hmm not this week. Maybe next week though.

I usually do two laps of Station Pier to the end of Beach Road at Mordialloc (110km all up) at an average of between 30-32kph.

The time I start all depends on when I hit the hay the night before :p

BTW when there are swarms of cyclists (i.e. weekend mornings) you can just jump onto a bunch, have a little chat etc., everyone's pretty friendly like that.

Hi ya Rek,

thanks for your reply. I am gonna try to go for a ride this long weekend which ought to be good if i dont encounter any idiots. but let me know about next week, maybe i could ride with you. your pacing sounds perfect to me. i could with an extra few revs in my legs. where do you start from ?

Veeral

I start from the roundabout near Station Pier, alongside the London Cafe.

You won't really find any idiots (cyclists or drivers) down Beach Rd way. When there a thousand plus cyclists on the road everyone's on their best behaviour ;) Just be aware that there are usually one or two really really fast packs..

Any other Beach Rd riders here? There has to be! :)

hey rek,

how was your easter? anyways are up for a ride next weekend ?

Veeral

Hey guys

I ride Beach Rd quite a bit....Rek's right, it's one of the only roads in melb where the drivers are pretty sensible and you don't have IDIOT pedestrians running across the road in front of you (sorry....this is becoming a real issue for me...twice yesterday I had to swerve into the line of traffic to avoid colliding with a ped)

I usually ride Beach rd sat or sun morning and there are heaps of cyclists......however I usually average round 30k/hr so think you'd be a bit fast for me.....

Chook,

30kph average sounds fine to me .. my last ride was 30.7 average in fact :) I have a habit of going a bit too hard anyway.

Either Saturday or Sunday could be a goer, I'm not normally much of a morning person though (I guess it all depends on when I hit the sack on Friday :) )

It is great being there on a morning though, with everyone about..

ok - interested in a beach rd ride this sunday??

morning/afternoon - either is fine.

not that early...sunday is the only morning i get to sleep in so none of this 7am stuff!!....i really don't mind, name a time and place and I'll be there :)

i'm glad i aint the only the person who doesnt like the 7am rides :D how about 10 am ? still too early?

Sunday 10am sounds fine to me.

How long a ride do you guys usually go for?

well for me at the moment i am just doing an easy 50-60km.
Since I am recovering from tendonopathy in my left leg. If you
guys are gonna go for longer than its cool, as i might head back
around the mark i mentioned above.

As for meeting place, how about the cafe you suggested Rev,
near the roundabout at Mordialic (sp?)

appologies Rev and Chook, i was thinking about the other end of Beach Road. I didnt realise Rev that you were talking about London Cafe near Port Melb even though you mentioned Station Pier.

So are we still meeting at London Cafe (92 Beach St, Port Melb) tomorrow at 10 ?

Yep sounds fine to me. I'll be on a red Cannondale w/ an AXA jersey.

Got a bit of a saddle sore at the moment so I'll probably just go for one lap.

sweet as.. i will be on a yellow giant tcr 2 with a red adidas jersey if its warm. I have the canadian maple leaf on my left fork and stem post.

see u guys tomorrow. just dont leave without me.

Sorry guys, I won't be able to make it tomorrow (next weekend should be a goer though.)

This saddle sore is quite uncomfortable on the bike (just went for a quick spin), and I don't want to make it any worse.

sweet as rek. hey chook1 i will still be there at london cafe tomorrow at 10.. just dont sleep in too much :rolleyes: LOL!!

Hey guys, this morning I went on a walk to the bakery to get some breakfast .. what a nice mild day for some cycling I thought .. I managed to find some skin cream and was raring to go this morning .. I guess none of us bothered to check the weather forecast though!! :p

On the way there was a little rain, I thought it'd be just a little passing shower. Of course shortly after I got to Station Pier it was an absolute downpour!

Oh well, maybe next week.. :)