Training Routes around west Milwaukee?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by wisnagilicious, Aug 10, 2005.

1. wisnagilicious

wisnagilicious New Member

Hi -

Will be in Milwaukee this weekend and was hoping any one had any good training routes they know about? Safe routes, lighter traffic, some good hills, that sort of thing. Looking for about 50-60 miles. Will be starting around Good Hope Road and 91st Street, out by the little Menomonee River.

Thanks in advance!

Tags:

2. danch

danch New Member

Well, I'm on the east side of the city, so I don't have anything specific starting out there, but there are a couple of pdf maps here

You'll be near where the Oak Leaf Trail runs along Bradley Road (eastward, toward my routes), but that stretch kinda sucks - a bit trafficy and exposed and not the best pavement. Not super-bad traffic, but the cagers are doing 40 or so. At the other end of it, though, is a ride through the suburb of River Hills (Range Line Road and River Road) - tree lined rollers through some seriously nice houses. I've got some routes from there, but I'm not sure I can describe them well enough to not get you lost :eek:

Another option might be to take the western loop of the Oak Leaf Trail to the south. This is largely parkway and paved trail, so it car traffic shouldn't be too bad. I've never ridden that part of the trail, however.

Something I have to say, though - the Oak Leaf trail is multi-use, and parts of it can get kind of congested. Don't expect to safely hammer on it (see the "Am I liable..." thread).

Hopefully someone from the west side will post up as well!

3. wisnagilicious

wisnagilicious New Member

Hey thanks, man! With your info, I'll be able to pass that along to the family I'm staying with and will hopefully get some good rides this weekend.

Really appreciate it.

Slainte!