Training Routes in Oakville, ON

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by IanD, May 15, 2004.

1. IanD

IanD New Member

All,

I'm planning on moving to Oakville, Ontario and I was looking for some possible training routes. There doesn't seem to be an abundance of bicycle lanes there. I'm from San Diego and here almost all the lanes have bicycles lanes with alot of varied terrain within cycling distance. I'm looking for some hills, flats, etc... Also, if any can tell me if it's against the law to bicycle on the streets or not. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

Tags:

2. djmtoronto

djmtoronto New Member

Hi Ian,

Welcome to Oakville. I live in Toronto and can provide some basic information about the area.

There are good flat rides if you travel east-west along the lakeshore. There is a lakeshore trail but depending on the time of day & year you may be sharing it with a lot of dog-walkers, rollerbladers, runners and recreational cyclists. For climbs you would probably head off towards the Niagara Escarpment (look for Campbellville on a map). There are also some fantastic rides through the Dundas area.

Bike lanes are rare and badly enforced. (They are often parking spots or passing lanes . . .)

There are some great crits on Mondays (novice) and Wednesdays in Mississauga (www.midweekclub.com) and a number of active clubs in the area if you want organized rides and racing.

There are definitely good rides; the challenge will be finding a comfortable route from your home to the fun/beautiful/challenging stuff. I live in downtown Toronto and face a 45-60 minute ride before I hit what I consider "good" riding. Depending on where you are in Oakville, you should have an easier time.

By the way, it SNOWS here . . .

djmtoronto

3. djmtoronto

djmtoronto New Member

Yes, by the way, it is legal to cycle on the streets here . . . although it sometimes seems that drivers aren't aware of that!
    (Limited access highways are an exception, however.)

Legally, cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as other vehicles under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act. Some municipalities have further laws governing bicycles within their boundaries. (For instance, the Highway Traffic Act doesn't specifically prohibit riding side by side as in a double paceline, but the City of Toronto specifies that cyclists must ride single file . . . and I do know cyclists who've been ticketed for this in Toronto).

If you have any more questions, send me an e-mail.

djmtoronto

4. taras0000

taras0000 New Member

I live in Hamilton and i regularly ride inthe oakville area. Many good routes around here. basically you want to stay north of Hwy 5 and you get nice country roads to ride on with very little traffic. YOu can also check out hte hamilton club's races that they do at flamborough speedway. that's a nice one. they rent the track for a tuesday night crit. no traffic, closed course. the midweek ( www.midweekclub.com ) crits are great training. be glad you live in oakville. you are right smack inthe middle of all the training rides and races within the golden horseshoe

taras