Training routes in the Sierras (California side)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Nick Burns, May 13, 2003.

  1. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Does anyone know of a source of some recommended training rides in Placer County? I have looked at
    several clubs and a few of them do some nice routes, but I need to have access to them (as opposed
    to waiting to the time of year they do them).

    I am also using a topographical map, I just need to have an up to date source of recommended roads
    based on safety issues. I am most interested in avoiding traffic, and it would also be nice to know
    pavement conditions. I can figure out everything else. . I know they exist but I don't know road
    conditions. I guess I can spend a few weeks driving all over the area but that seems like a terrible
    waste if someone already has a source for this information. I would like to get a few route of about
    100 miles and I am trying to find some nice long steady climbs. I plan on starting somewhere near
    lake Folsom most of the time so anything anywhere close would be great.

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    Have you tried asking at a local bike shop?

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know of a source of some recommended training rides in Placer County? I have looked at
    > several clubs and a few of them do some nice routes, but I need to have access to them (as opposed
    > to waiting to the
    time
    > of year they do them).
    >
    > I am also using a topographical map, I just need to have an up to date source of recommended roads
    > based on safety issues. I am most interested
    in
    > avoiding traffic, and it would also be nice to know pavement conditions. I can figure out
    > everything else. . I know they exist but I don't know road conditions. I guess I can spend a few
    > weeks driving all over the area but that seems like a terrible waste if someone already has a
    > source for this information. I would like to get a few route of about 100 miles and I am trying to
    > find some nice long steady climbs. I plan on starting somewhere near lake Folsom most of the time
    > so anything anywhere close would be
    great.

    > TIA

  3. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a source of some recommended training rides in Placer County? I have looked at
    > several clubs and a few of them do some nice routes, but I need to have access to them (as opposed
    > to waiting to the time of year they do them).
    >
    > I am also using a topographical map, I just need to have an up to date source of recommended roads
    > based on safety issues. I am most interested in avoiding traffic, and it would also be nice to
    > know pavement conditions. I can figure out everything else. . I know they exist but I don't know
    > road conditions. I guess I can spend a few weeks driving all over the area but that seems like a
    > terrible waste if someone already has a source for this information. I would like to get a few
    > route of about 100 miles and I am trying to find some nice long steady climbs. I plan on starting
    > somewhere near lake Folsom most of the time so anything anywhere close would be great.
    >
    > TIA

    Email me. I live next to Folsom. The best rides are generally on the west side of Folsom Lake but
    there are some good, hard climbs on the east side as well.

    -WG

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Of course. They have always pointed me to clubs that have rides. Like I said, I can do that if I
    have to. I just don't want to wait. I need to be doing these several times a week.

    "GaryG" <[email protected]_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Have you tried asking at a local bike shop?
    >
    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Does anyone know of a source of some recommended training rides in
    Placer
    > > County? I have looked at several clubs and a few of them do some nice routes, but I need to have
    > > access to them (as opposed to waiting to the
    > time
    > > of year they do them).
    > >
    > > I am also using a topographical map, I just need to have an up to date source of recommended
    > > roads based on safety issues. I am most interested
    > in
    > > avoiding traffic, and it would also be nice to know pavement conditions.
    > > can figure out everything else. . I know they exist but I don't know
    road
    > > conditions. I guess I can spend a few weeks driving all over the area
    but
    > > that seems like a terrible waste if someone already has a source for
    this
    > > information. I would like to get a few route of about 100 miles and I am trying to find some
    > > nice long steady climbs. I plan on starting
    somewhere
    > > near lake Folsom most of the time so anything anywhere close would be
    > great.
    > >
    > > TIA

  5. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Awseome. Thanks.

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:130520030840146707%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know of a source of some recommended training rides in
    Placer
    > > County? I have looked at several clubs and a few of them do some nice routes, but I need to have
    > > access to them (as opposed to waiting to the
    time
    > > of year they do them).
    > >
    > > I am also using a topographical map, I just need to have an up to date source of recommended
    > > roads based on safety issues. I am most interested
    in
    > > avoiding traffic, and it would also be nice to know pavement conditions.
    > > can figure out everything else. . I know they exist but I don't know
    road
    > > conditions. I guess I can spend a few weeks driving all over the area
    but
    > > that seems like a terrible waste if someone already has a source for
    this
    > > information. I would like to get a few route of about 100 miles and I am trying to find some
    > > nice long steady climbs. I plan on starting
    somewhere
    > > near lake Folsom most of the time so anything anywhere close would be
    great.

    > > TIA
    >
    > Email me. I live next to Folsom. The best rides are generally on the west side of Folsom Lake but
    > there are some good, hard climbs on the east side as well.
    >
    > -WG

  6. There's a great Krebs map of the region that you ought to get; I'd be very surprised if the local
    bike shop didn't have it. Then find out if there's someone on the staff that could point out some
    great loops to ride. That particular map is indispensable, an absolute must-have for the type of
    riding you want to do. It has all the info you need, including where the hills are and how steep.

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Of course. They have always pointed me to clubs that have rides. Like I said, I can do that if I
    > have to. I just don't want to wait. I need to be doing these several times a week.
    >

    > "GaryG" <[email protected]_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Have you tried asking at a local bike shop?
    > >
    > > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Does anyone know of a source of some recommended training rides in
    > Placer
    > > > County? I have looked at several clubs and a few of them do some nice routes, but I need to
    > > > have access to them (as opposed to waiting to
    the
    > > time
    > > > of year they do them).
    > > >
    > > > I am also using a topographical map, I just need to have an up to date source of recommended
    > > > roads based on safety issues. I am most
    interested
    > > in
    > > > avoiding traffic, and it would also be nice to know pavement
    conditions.
    > > > can figure out everything else. . I know they exist but I don't know
    > road
    > > > conditions. I guess I can spend a few weeks driving all over the area
    > but
    > > > that seems like a terrible waste if someone already has a source for
    > this
    > > > information. I would like to get a few route of about 100 miles and I
    am
    > > > trying to find some nice long steady climbs. I plan on starting
    > somewhere
    > > > near lake Folsom most of the time so anything anywhere close would be
    > > great.
    > > >
    > > > TIA

  7. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Krebs map? OK, I will check it out.

    Thanks Mike.

    --Chris

    > There's a great Krebs map of the region that you ought to get; I'd be very surprised if the local
    > bike shop didn't have it. Then find out if there's someone on the staff that could point out some
    > great loops to ride. That particular map is indispensable, an absolute must-have for the type of
    > riding you want to do. It has all the info you need, including where the hills are and how steep.

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Of course. They have always pointed me to clubs that have rides. Like I said, I can do that if I
    > > have to. I just don't want to wait. I need to
    be
    > > doing these several times a week.
    > >

    > > "GaryG" <[email protected]_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Have you tried asking at a local bike shop?
    > > >
    > > > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > Placer
    > the
    > > > time

    > interested
    > > > in
    > conditions.
    > > road
    > > but
    > > this
    > am
    > > somewhere
    > > > great.

  8. Omc

    Omc Guest

    warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<130520030840146707%[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know of a source of some recommended training rides in Placer County? I have looked
    > > at several clubs and a few of them do some nice routes, but I need to have access to them (as
    > > opposed to waiting to the time of year they do them).
    > Email me. I live next to Folsom. The best rides are generally on the west side of Folsom Lake but
    > there are some good, hard climbs on the east side as well.
    >
    > -WG

    Warren & Nick,

    I remember when I use to live in the Sacramento area that some cyclist from Davis wrote several
    books with different rides that included maps, pavement/traffic conditions and really good details
    about each ride. Each book covered different regions of California. I do recall several detailed
    rides around Folsom, Shingle Springs, Nevada City, Placerville....etc. They were really great books
    to have and I'm sure that they still are handy today, even with increase road traffic and
    construction projects. I'll take a look and see if I still have them in a box somewhere and be glad
    to share them as they aren't very helpful here in Colorado.

    OMC

  9. Nick: I'm at the shop with one in front of me; it's called

    LAKE TAHOE & GOLD COUNTRY BICYCLE MAP

    By Krebs Cycle Products, PO. Box 7337, Santa Cruz, CA 95061. Runs about $9.

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Krebs map? OK, I will check it out.
    >
    > Thanks Mike.
    >
    > --Chris
    >

    > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > There's a great Krebs map of the region that you ought to get; I'd be
    very
    > > surprised if the local bike shop didn't have it. Then find out if
    there's
    > > someone on the staff that could point out some great loops to ride.
    That
    > > particular map is indispensable, an absolute must-have for the type of riding you want to do. It
    > > has all the info you need, including where
    the
    > > hills are and how steep.
    > >
    > > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    > >

    > > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Of course. They have always pointed me to clubs that have rides. Like
    > > > said, I can do that if I have to. I just don't want to wait. I need to
    > be
    > > > doing these several times a week.
    > > >

    > > > "GaryG" <[email protected]_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Placer
    > nice
    > > the

    > date
    > > interested
    > > conditions.
    > > > road
    > area
    > > > but
    > > > this
    > > am
    > > > somewhere
    > be

  10. Steve Croft

    Steve Croft Guest

    Cyclists' Route Atlas by Randall Gray Braun. Great series of books. I recommend them and the
    Krebbs maps.

    The Braun books have routes, some pics, and profiles.

    The Krebbs maps have indications about the amount of traffic and grade steepness. Cool stuff.

    Steve

    > I remember when I use to live in the Sacramento area that some cyclist from Davis wrote several
    > books with different rides that included maps, pavement/traffic conditions and really good details
    > about each ride. Each book covered different regions of California. I do recall several detailed
    > rides around Folsom, Shingle Springs, Nevada City, Placerville....etc. They were really great
    > books to have and I'm sure that they still are handy today, even with increase road traffic and
    > construction projects. I'll take a look and see if I still have them in a box somewhere and be
    > glad to share them as they aren't very helpful here in Colorado.
    >
    > OMC

  11. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    I can't wait to check it out. That sounds like a map I could use.

    news:%[email protected]...