Training routes in the Sierras (California side)

Nick Burns

Guest
Does anyone know of a source of some recommended training rides in Placer County? I have looked at
several clubs and a few of them do some nice routes, but I need to have access to them (as opposed
to waiting to the time of year they do them).

I am also using a topographical map, I just need to have an up to date source of recommended roads
based on safety issues. I am most interested in avoiding traffic, and it would also be nice to know
pavement conditions. I can figure out everything else. . I know they exist but I don't know road
conditions. I guess I can spend a few weeks driving all over the area but that seems like a terrible
waste if someone already has a source for this information. I would like to get a few route of about
100 miles and I am trying to find some nice long steady climbs. I plan on starting somewhere near
lake Folsom most of the time so anything anywhere close would be great.

TIA

Have you tried asking at a local bike shop?

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know of a source of some recommended training rides in Placer County? I have looked at
> several clubs and a few of them do some nice routes, but I need to have access to them (as opposed
> to waiting to the
time

In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a source of some recommended training rides in Placer County? I have looked at
> several clubs and a few of them do some nice routes, but I need to have access to them (as opposed
> to waiting to the time of year they do them).
>
> I am also using a topographical map, I just need to have an up to date source of recommended roads
> based on safety issues. I am most interested in avoiding traffic, and it would also be nice to
> know pavement conditions. I can figure out everything else. . I know they exist but I don't know
> road conditions. I guess I can spend a few weeks driving all over the area but that seems like a
> terrible waste if someone already has a source for this information. I would like to get a few
> route of about 100 miles and I am trying to find some nice long steady climbs. I plan on starting
> somewhere near lake Folsom most of the time so anything anywhere close would be great.
>
> TIA

Email me. I live next to Folsom. The best rides are generally on the west side of Folsom Lake but
there are some good, hard climbs on the east side as well.

-WG

Of course. They have always pointed me to clubs that have rides. Like I said, I can do that if I
have to. I just don't want to wait. I need to be doing these several times a week.

"GaryG" <gary_g@charter_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Have you tried asking at a local bike shop?
>
> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Does anyone know of a source of some recommended training rides in
Placer
> > County? I have looked at several clubs and a few of them do some nice routes, but I need to have
> > access to them (as opposed to waiting to the
> time
> > of year they do them).
> >
> > I am also using a topographical map, I just need to have an up to date source of recommended
> > roads based on safety issues. I am most interested
> in
> > avoiding traffic, and it would also be nice to know pavement conditions.
> > can figure out everything else. . I know they exist but I don't know
road
> > conditions. I guess I can spend a few weeks driving all over the area
but
> > that seems like a terrible waste if someone already has a source for
this
> > information. I would like to get a few route of about 100 miles and I am trying to find some
> > nice long steady climbs. I plan on starting
somewhere
> > near lake Folsom most of the time so anything anywhere close would be
> great.
> >
> > TIA

Awseome. Thanks.

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:130520030840146707%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a source of some recommended training rides in
Placer
> > County? I have looked at several clubs and a few of them do some nice routes, but I need to have
> > access to them (as opposed to waiting to the
time
> > of year they do them).
> >
> > I am also using a topographical map, I just need to have an up to date source of recommended
> > roads based on safety issues. I am most interested
in
> > avoiding traffic, and it would also be nice to know pavement conditions.
> > can figure out everything else. . I know they exist but I don't know
road
> > conditions. I guess I can spend a few weeks driving all over the area
but
> > that seems like a terrible waste if someone already has a source for
this
> > information. I would like to get a few route of about 100 miles and I am trying to find some
> > nice long steady climbs. I plan on starting
somewhere
> > near lake Folsom most of the time so anything anywhere close would be
great.

> > TIA
>
> Email me. I live next to Folsom. The best rides are generally on the west side of Folsom Lake but
> there are some good, hard climbs on the east side as well.
>
> -WG

There's a great Krebs map of the region that you ought to get; I'd be very surprised if the local
bike shop didn't have it. Then find out if there's someone on the staff that could point out some
great loops to ride. That particular map is indispensable, an absolute must-have for the type of
riding you want to do. It has all the info you need, including where the hills are and how steep.

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Of course. They have always pointed me to clubs that have rides. Like I said, I can do that if I
> have to. I just don't want to wait. I need to be doing these several times a week.
>

> "GaryG" <gary_g@charter_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Have you tried asking at a local bike shop?
> >
> > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Does anyone know of a source of some recommended training rides in
> Placer
> > > County? I have looked at several clubs and a few of them do some nice routes, but I need to
> > > have access to them (as opposed to waiting to
the
> > time
> > > of year they do them).
> > >
> > > I am also using a topographical map, I just need to have an up to date source of recommended
> > > roads based on safety issues. I am most
interested
> > in
> > > avoiding traffic, and it would also be nice to know pavement
conditions.
> > > can figure out everything else. . I know they exist but I don't know
> road
> > > conditions. I guess I can spend a few weeks driving all over the area
> but
> > > that seems like a terrible waste if someone already has a source for
> this
> > > information. I would like to get a few route of about 100 miles and I
am
> > > trying to find some nice long steady climbs. I plan on starting
> somewhere
> > > near lake Folsom most of the time so anything anywhere close would be
> > great.
> > >
> > > TIA

Krebs map? OK, I will check it out.

Thanks Mike.

--Chris

> There's a great Krebs map of the region that you ought to get; I'd be very surprised if the local
> bike shop didn't have it. Then find out if there's someone on the staff that could point out some
> great loops to ride. That particular map is indispensable, an absolute must-have for the type of
> riding you want to do. It has all the info you need, including where the hills are and how steep.

> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Of course. They have always pointed me to clubs that have rides. Like I said, I can do that if I
> > have to. I just don't want to wait. I need to
be
> > doing these several times a week.
> >

> > "GaryG" <gary_g@charter_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Have you tried asking at a local bike shop?
> > >
> > > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > Placer
> the
> > > time

> interested
> > > in
> conditions.
> > road
> > but
> > this
> am
> > somewhere
> > > great.

warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<130520030840146707%[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a source of some recommended training rides in Placer County? I have looked
> > at several clubs and a few of them do some nice routes, but I need to have access to them (as
> > opposed to waiting to the time of year they do them).
> Email me. I live next to Folsom. The best rides are generally on the west side of Folsom Lake but
> there are some good, hard climbs on the east side as well.
>
> -WG

Warren & Nick,

I remember when I use to live in the Sacramento area that some cyclist from Davis wrote several
books with different rides that included maps, pavement/traffic conditions and really good details
about each ride. Each book covered different regions of California. I do recall several detailed
rides around Folsom, Shingle Springs, Nevada City, Placerville....etc. They were really great books
to have and I'm sure that they still are handy today, even with increase road traffic and
construction projects. I'll take a look and see if I still have them in a box somewhere and be glad
to share them as they aren't very helpful here in Colorado.

OMC

Nick: I'm at the shop with one in front of me; it's called

LAKE TAHOE & GOLD COUNTRY BICYCLE MAP

By Krebs Cycle Products, PO. Box 7337, Santa Cruz, CA 95061. Runs about $9.

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Krebs map? OK, I will check it out.
>
> Thanks Mike.
>
> --Chris
>

> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > There's a great Krebs map of the region that you ought to get; I'd be
very
> > surprised if the local bike shop didn't have it. Then find out if
there's
> > someone on the staff that could point out some great loops to ride.
That
> > particular map is indispensable, an absolute must-have for the type of riding you want to do. It
> > has all the info you need, including where
the
> > hills are and how steep.
> >
> > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
> >

> > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Of course. They have always pointed me to clubs that have rides. Like
> > > said, I can do that if I have to. I just don't want to wait. I need to
> be
> > > doing these several times a week.
> > >

> > > "GaryG" <gary_g@charter_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Placer
> nice
> > the

> date
> > interested
> > conditions.
> > > road
> area
> > > but
> > > this
> > am
> > > somewhere
> be

Cyclists' Route Atlas by Randall Gray Braun. Great series of books. I recommend them and the
Krebbs maps.

The Braun books have routes, some pics, and profiles.

The Krebbs maps have indications about the amount of traffic and grade steepness. Cool stuff.

Steve

> I remember when I use to live in the Sacramento area that some cyclist from Davis wrote several
> books with different rides that included maps, pavement/traffic conditions and really good details
> about each ride. Each book covered different regions of California. I do recall several detailed
> rides around Folsom, Shingle Springs, Nevada City, Placerville....etc. They were really great
> books to have and I'm sure that they still are handy today, even with increase road traffic and
> construction projects. I'll take a look and see if I still have them in a box somewhere and be
> glad to share them as they aren't very helpful here in Colorado.
>
> OMC

I can't wait to check it out. That sounds like a map I could use.

news:%[email protected]...