Training schedule..

LewisStevens2

Nov 22, 2011
Hey, Im 14 and want to be a professional cyclist, I have 30 minutes of light when I get home from school everyday and go on a 50 Mile club ride every saturday and usually do around 45 miles on a sunday. I don't have a turbo trainer but would like to fit in some more training. I would ideally like to do 12 hours a week but would definatley do more if I have to. Does anyone know anyway I could fit in more training?

Originally Posted by LewisStevens2 .

Hey, Im 14 and want to be a professional cyclist,
At 14, getting in training miles isn't as important as developing overall fitness and being successful in school.

Train and race in spring and summer when there's plenty of daylight. While you're in school, join in a sport that works with your schedule and gets you excited. Soccer, basketball, hockey, cross country, and ski racing are good because you'll develop a balance of fitness without bulking up your body. The cross-training will be helpful and you'll enjoy the break from cycling.

Find a developmental racing club in your area. You can access the database of clubs affiliated with USA Cycling through this web link: http://www.usacycling.org/clubs/

To grow in this sport you need coaching and a team, and you can't become a pro without first becoming a successful amateur.

Thanks for the help, I do play some other sports, mainly basketball and football.
I read in Mark Cavendish's autobiography that he used to do 16 hours a week when he was 13.
And Lance Armstrong did 40 Miles a day when he was 15, Also, I don't think I would 'Enjoy' being of my bike,
so I think I will stay on the bike throughout the winter.

At 14 there is little reason to compare your training to that of others. Do what you want. Do what you can.

It is a good idea to find some local group to race with. It is even good to just find a fast group to ride with.

---

The more time you spend on your bike now the better. But be sure to learn to ride with reasonable technique.

You could always do a bit of strength training (push ups, sit ups, yoga, etc.)