Training Slow?

ryan16

Jun 26, 2005
I have a really hard time training slow. When I train slow I still feel like I am going to hard. What is the deal with training slow? Should I just get in the granny gear and spin away and if I average 13mph that ok as long as I am going super slow. What do you guys do? Any advice or help would be awesome I need all the help I can get.

Thanks
Ryan

What's the purpose for trying to go super slow? Are you talking about recovery rides, or is this something your coach has prescribed?

As far as how to do it, yeah get in the granny gear and pedal slow, I suppose.

Ya just for recovery rides and also during base training. As long as I keep a good spin is there such a thing as going to slow?

frenchyge said:
What's the purpose for trying to go super slow? Are you talking about recovery rides, or is this something your coach has prescribed?

As far as how to do it, yeah get in the granny gear and pedal slow, I suppose.

ryan16 said:
I have a really hard time training slow. When I train slow I still feel like I am going to hard. What is the deal with training slow? Should I just get in the granny gear and spin away and if I average 13mph that ok as long as I am going super slow. What do you guys do? Any advice or help would be awesome I need all the help I can get.

Thanks
Ryan
I can relate to what you are getting at. At my current fitness, my recovery rides should be ridden at a max power of 150w. I really have to concentrate or it will creep up to 175w-200w on the flat and >200w on climbs. So, I have found other things to work on at 150w, such as spinning and aero positions. I will regularly spin up to a cadence of 125+, especially on slight downhill segments or when I have the wind at my back. It's hard to spin it up on the flat or into the wind because my power gets too high. I do high-spin drills to smooth out my stroke at all cadences. And, it's kind of fun to see how fast I can go with only 150w of power by getting in a really good aero position. Plus, it gets me used to riding in that position for TTs. The main thing is to not lose sight of the purpose of the ride -- recovery.

ryan16 said:
Ya just for recovery rides and also during base training. As long as I keep a good spin is there such a thing as going to slow?
Sorry if I'm not getting it, but I'll try to answer your questions. 1) Recovery rides are not 'training' in my mind, they are about as effective as complete rest off the bike. There's no such thing as 'too slow' for a recovery ride -- drop into the granny, just toodle along, and enjoy the scenery. 2) For endurance level training rides, such as would be typical during base training, there is such a thing as going 'too slow.' If you're using HR for your training zones, you'd want to be ~70-83% of MHR for a couple hours. It will still feel like light-to-moderate activity while you're riding, but after a couple hours you'll notice the slight fatigue in the legs.

You say it still feels hard when you're trying to go slow. If that's the case then shift to an easier gear to get the right sensation (or HR) for that particular ride (ie, very easy for recovery, or light-to-moderate for endurance rides). As far as 13mph goes, I don't know whether you're saying that is too fast, or very slow. If 13mph feels too hard, then use your sensation of effort rather than speed. Speed is very much terrain based. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replys guys. About the 13mph I was just saying thats slow I usually average around 15.5-16mph on my slow endurance rides but sometimes my hr creeps a little higher than I would like im just wondering if mph matter during these rides.

Thanks for the help guys

Short answer: use HR, power, or perceived effort, rather than speed, as your training guide. If HR is creeping up over your target range, than back off the effort a little.

frenchyge said:
1) Recovery rides are not 'training' in my mind, they are about as effective as complete rest off the bike. There's no such thing as 'too slow' for a recovery ride -- drop into the granny, just toodle along, and enjoy the scenery.
That's a great point easily missed - "enjoy the scenery!" How often do we wheel around, totally self-absorbed ...

Two things for recovery, and assuming that you're not targeting any specific zone- if so, you should be at least somewhat attentive to the numbers:

1) I play Xbox on the trainer and ride for an hour, focusing on whatever game I'm playing - the time practically goes by without my realizing that I'm riding - although stay away from driving/racing games - I pedal faster without even realizing it ...

2) I use a residential area and just tool around, with absolutely no set time/distance or speed to ride - (I'll even fool around with my set-up - stopping to adjust it - although I don't recommend retooling a good set-up, I (foolishly) like to make changes here and there).

Cycling can be SO one-dimensional -- My goal with recovery is to keep my mind and body refreshed ...

frenchyge said:
Short answer: use HR, power, or perceived effort, rather than speed, as your training guide. If HR is creeping up over your target range, than back off the effort a little.
the above idea is the easiest to follow on a recovery ride. HR range is the easiest way to keep tabs of what you are doing.

On my recovery days i just tool around the neiborhood on my John Deere Cruiser.. It is all about having fun and enjoying what you do.

ryan16 said:
Thanks for the replys guys. About the 13mph I was just saying thats slow I usually average around 15.5-16mph on my slow endurance rides but sometimes my hr creeps a little higher than I would like im just wondering if mph matter during these rides.

Thanks for the help guys
Regarding pain and pride. So far I've had two bad falls. One time about a month ago and another yesterday. The first time I was attampting to avoid a speeding, swerving, possibly drunk driver who didn't bother to even get out of the truck to see if I was OK. At the time I felt it hurt so much because the driver who may have killed me didn't even care enough to ask how I was. I took my second fall yesterday. It began raining slightly while I was riding, just enough to bring grease to the surface of the road and make it slick. I turned a corner too fast while watching for children and my bike went out from under me. I have gashes from my shoulder to my leg on my right side and am really sore. Regardless, I don't think anything hurts more than my pride. It's a horrible feeling of defeat to go down like that in the middle of a good ride. Just when I was feeling confident enough to begin racing this makes me feel some doubt about myself. Am I alone in feeling defeat after a fall? Incidentally, some very nice neighbors came out to ensure I was OK until I was on my way this time.

wackydeirdre said:
Just when I was feeling confident enough to begin racing this makes me feel some doubt about myself. Am I alone in feeling defeat after a fall?
I'm sure most of us have been there, and it'll pass. Get back on the bike and wear those war wounds like a badge of honor. :cool:

Racing huh? Weren't you posting about how to get up the hills around your house just a few months ago? You've come a long way, baby. :)

frenchyge said:
I'm sure most of us have been there, and it'll pass. Get back on the bike and wear those war wounds like a badge of honor. :cool:

Racing huh? Weren't you posting about how to get up the hills around your house just a few months ago? You've come a long way, baby. :)
I've been working really hard this summer! I was back on my bike the day after I fell. My daughter told me I was nuts. I said "what do you do when you fall off a horse?" The first day was only a short ride. I must say, I was pretty nervous yesterday. I'm back to my old self today-almost. Tomorrow will be better still. Before you know it I'll have a first place medal or two. Once I put my mind to something I want there's no stopping me!;)

Good for you keep it up and you will get were you want to if you keep that attitude. Good Luck

wackydeirdre said:
I've been working really hard this summer! I was back on my bike the day after I fell. My daughter told me I was nuts. I said "what do you do when you fall off a horse?" The first day was only a short ride. I must say, I was pretty nervous yesterday. I'm back to my old self today-almost. Tomorrow will be better still. Before you know it I'll have a first place medal or two. Once I put my mind to something I want there's no stopping me!;)