Training suggestions for post-Ivan?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Tom Henderson, Oct 3, 2004.

  1. OK gang, I've missed almost three weeks of training and the next week
    will only be able to do some spotty training. I'm still determined to try
    to do IMFL in November. Any suggestions for how to train in the coming
    four or five weeks? I know I'll need to taper the last two, but just want
    to see if I can do anything to salvage my endurance. I've been very
    active, just not with activities that prepare one fo ran IM. Now if they
    change the race so that you have to get off the bike every ten miles and
    clear a bunch of fallen trees, repair a roof, and rip out carpets from a
    flooded house, I might be able to win! In all seriousness though, I'd
    appreciate suggestions. I've done several 60-plus mile rides, two 80
    milers, and one century. I'd like to try another century in two weeks,
    although all of my usual routes are wiped out. My running is very weak at
    the moment, but I think I can get a 10 mile run in. Swimming is my best
    event, so as long as I can work some of the kinks out from doing "real
    work" I can manage that part with a few long, slow swims between now and
    then.

    Thanks for any advice!

    Tom "Oh, my aching back" Henderson

    Tags:

  2. Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > OK gang, I've missed almost three weeks of training and the next week
    > will only be able to do some spotty training. I'm still determined to
    > try to do IMFL in November. Any suggestions for how to train in the
    > coming four or five weeks? I know I'll need to taper the last two, but
    > just want to see if I can do anything to salvage my endurance. I've
    > been very active, just not with activities that prepare one fo ran IM.
    > Now if they change the race so that you have to get off the bike every
    > ten miles and clear a bunch of fallen trees, repair a roof, and rip
    > out carpets from a flooded house, I might be able to win! In all
    > seriousness though, I'd appreciate suggestions. I've done several
    > 60-plus mile rides, two 80 milers, and one century. I'd like to try
    > another century in two weeks, although all of my usual routes are
    > wiped out. My running is very weak at the moment, but I think I can
    > get a 10 mile run in. Swimming is my best event, so as long as I can
    > work some of the kinks out from doing "real work" I can manage that
    > part with a few long, slow swims between now and then.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice!
    >
    > Tom "Oh, my aching back" Henderson

    Update: Went out for a ride and cut my tire on debris! I've decided I'm
    doing this race no matter how screwed up my training has been. Wish me
    luck!

  3. Mike Tennent

    Mike Tennent Guest

    Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Update: Went out for a ride and cut my tire on debris! I've decided I'm
    >doing this race no matter how screwed up my training has been. Wish me
    >luck!

    Tom,

    There's nothing like the quiet confidence that comes from toeing the
    start line knowing that you are definitely NOTover-trained.... LOL

    My advice would be to back off a notch or two on the bike, especially
    at the beginning. If you're still feeling good at 80 or so, then pick
    it up. (Or not.) Just don't go out and hammer and blow up out there.

    Mike Tennent
    "IronPenguin"

  4. Mike Tennent <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Update: Went out for a ride and cut my tire on debris! I've decided I'm
    >>doing this race no matter how screwed up my training has been. Wish me
    >>luck!

    > Tom,
    >
    > There's nothing like the quiet confidence that comes from toeing the
    > start line knowing that you are definitely NOTover-trained.... LOL
    >
    > My advice would be to back off a notch or two on the bike, especially
    > at the beginning. If you're still feeling good at 80 or so, then pick
    > it up. (Or not.) Just don't go out and hammer and blow up out there.
    >
    > Mike Tennent
    > "IronPenguin"

    Thanks Mike, it's great to get some useful advice here instead of the
    off-topic rantings about which idiot will run the country for the next 4
    years!

    That was my plan, if I can maintain the discipline to stick with it. I'll
    also be keeping a close eye on the heart rate during the run.

    Thanks again!

    Tom

  5. Mike Tennent

    Mike Tennent Guest

    Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mike Tennent <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Update: Went out for a ride and cut my tire on debris! I've decided I'm
    >>>doing this race no matter how screwed up my training has been. Wish me
    >>>luck!

    >> Tom,
    >>
    >> There's nothing like the quiet confidence that comes from toeing the
    >> start line knowing that you are definitely NOTover-trained.... LOL
    >>
    >> My advice would be to back off a notch or two on the bike, especially
    >> at the beginning. If you're still feeling good at 80 or so, then pick
    >> it up. (Or not.) Just don't go out and hammer and blow up out there.
    >>
    >> Mike Tennent
    >> "IronPenguin"
    >>

    >Thanks Mike, it's great to get some useful advice here instead of the
    >off-topic rantings about which idiot will run the country for the next 4
    >years!
    >
    >That was my plan, if I can maintain the discipline to stick with it. I'll
    >also be keeping a close eye on the heart rate during the run.
    >
    >Thanks again!
    >
    >Tom

    Your welcome.

    I'm more active over on the Great Floridian site. Things are picking
    up there, with the race just two weeks away.

    I lose track of folks here. This isn't your first IM, is it?

    Mike Tennent
    "IronPenguin"

  6. Mike Tennent <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Your welcome.
    >
    > I'm more active over on the Great Floridian site. Things are picking
    > up there, with the race just two weeks away.
    >
    > I lose track of folks here. This isn't your first IM, is it?
    >
    > Mike Tennent
    > "IronPenguin"

    Hopefully!

  7. Mike Tennent

    Mike Tennent Guest

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 00:31:12 GMT, Tom Henderson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hopefully!

    Well, double good luck, then! I didn't realize it was your first.

    A friend of mine, Lisa Allison, is also doing IMFL as her first. The
    hurricanes have been nicer to us and didn't messed her training too
    much.

    If you'd like a few more ideas/suggestions, let me know.

    GFT will be #8 for me.

    Mike Tennent
    IronPenguin Electronics
    www.ironpeng.com/ipe