training time

hod65

Jun 24, 2009
hi, just a question about training times ,nearly allways do my ride at about 8.30 evening this after main meal at 6.30 would do average 25 miles 50.50 flat and hills would not eat til breackfast following morning ...is there such a thing as ideal time for training etc ,dont know if i shud have something after cycle dont even have liquid as i dont feel thirsty ...any advice....

It depends a lot on how hard you train, how well you digest and how whether training later in the evening makes it tough to relax and get to sleep afterwards.

Light meals or lots of digest time is important before hard workouts but for mellower days and endurance rides I can ride right after eating.

Whenever you ride, you should get in the habit of refueling with some carbs and protein right after you finish your rides. Your ability to resynthesize and replenish spent muscle glycogen peaks in the first half hour to hour after exercise. Miss that window and it takes a lot longer to refuel your muscles for tomorrow's ride. Check out this article on the subject:
CARB BOOM!

Those folks are selling a refueling product, but you don't need to buy fancy recovery drinks as long as you get sufficient high GI carbs along with low fat protein. That could be a fruit smoothie with low fat yogurt or the old standby, low fat chocolate milk which is my favorite refueling drink while traveling for weekend races. You don't need or want a lot of calories as you can only digest and store so much as glycogen in one shot but a couple of hundred calories at the right time can make a huge difference for the following day's workout.

Good luck,
-Dave

hod65 said:
hi, just a question about training times ,nearly allways do my ride at about 8.30 evening this after main meal at 6.30 would do average 25 miles 50.50 flat and hills would not eat til breackfast following morning ...is there such a thing as ideal time for training etc ,dont know if i shud have something after cycle dont even have liquid as i dont feel thirsty ...any advice....

milk and oreos. Actually, the oreos are bad, but they encourage me to drink the milk:)