Training Tips @ 110kg's & 6"3

mattonline

Oct 29, 2002
Hi Guy's<br /><br />Firstly - let me say I'm glad I've found these forums. :&gt; - I've read numerous posts and the quality and friendleness shines through - that and there seems to be alot of aussies here. :&gt;<br /><br />I puchased my Road Bike about two months ago (Avanti Sprint 2002) and have been out for about 30 rides so far, here's where i'm at:<br /><br />(I only ride on flat roads :&gt;)<br />Averaging about 25km (distance per ride)<br />Over the first 10km I'm quite comfortable at 30-31km/hr maintaining a strong cadence and feeling quite comfortable. -<br />Over the next 15km I start to feel very tired in the legs and my speed drops down to anywhere from 18-23 km/hr - I also notice it becomes difficult to control my breathing and heartrate.<br /><br />I usually finish up most rides at an average around 25km/hr and feel quite disappointed.<br /><br />I weigh approx 110 kg's and I am 6'3 - 190cm - I'd really like to get this down to 90kg's because it's painfully obvious to me its hard to push that sort of weight on a bike. :&gt;<br /><br />I guess what I'd like to know from you guys is - what do you guys suggest I do - am I on the right track - should I continue or what should I change.<br /><br />Hope to get lots of tips from you. :&gt;<br /><br />Thanks in advance <br /><br />Matt

Matt,<br /><br />When i started biking i also weighted 110kg+, and because of this biking (and a diet ofcourse) i managed to drop the weight to around 70kg.<br /><br />I didn't have a trainig schedule or something, i just started riding 25km rounds, and later upped that to 38km rounds.<br /><br />I did however buy a heart rate monitor and just tried to keep my heart rate as low as possible during the trip (which turned out to be somewhere between 140 and 155bpm), this is not a real low hartrate, but it was low enough to keep going on a steady pace for 2 to 3 hours.<br /><br />I didn't try to ride as fast as possible (30-31km/hr is rather fast for somebody new to biking), just try to ride a bit slower, but more constant, your average speed will get better. When i started my average speed was somewhere around 18km/u... now (after 6 months) i'm doing rounds with speeds above 30km/u average.<br /><br />Maybe somebody else will disagree about my previous statements, but i do know it sure worked for me, as i lost 42kg in a mere 5 months :D

matt, your initial start to the ride seems to be way too fast. I suggest you concentrate on building a base or foundation of fitness before attempting such hard and fast rides. Two months on the bike and you are already frustrated is not the way to go. DevilMan has the right idea. Steady pace at a maintainable heart rate for long periods of time is what you should be doing right now. All future aspects of your fitness and performance will be built on your base or foundation training.<br />Click here for our base training thread.

Matt, <br /><br />Good advice from V02 and Devilman...<br /><br />I a little bit shorter that you are (187cm) and was also quite heavy and still are - still carry an extra 10kg) when I started cycling. Thoughout the winter I tried to do long slow rides (60% of max HR) and manage to drop about 13kg.<br /><br />As Devilman and V02 pointed out, rather cycle at a lower speed (whatever you speed at 60% of max HR) and maintain that for a longer period. As you get fitter and lighter, rather increase the time you cycle instead of your speed until you can maintain it for about 4 hours.<br /><br />Remember, Rome wasn't build in a day - it takes time to loose weight and as you loose it you get faster - especially up the hills. Believe me, it's worth all the effort! Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Some things that worked for me.<br /><br />Set yourself lots of short term goals and plan your training accordingly. (Things you can measure). I find that riding by time, rather than by distance (unless your training for something specific) is a bit better for planning. e.g. Ride out for an hour and then turn back for a 2:15 ride. <br /><br />Find people to ride with you and build up your strength together.<br /><br />Save your legs in the early parts of the rides by riding a gear or two easier than you feel you're capable of. You will then not blow as much later in the ride.<br /><br />For the first 2 months, ride easy and don't worry about ave speed. Rather try and get your distances up by increasing your mileage by about 5% per week. do not ramp up your training suddenly as you may be prone to overtraining. And build rest periods into your training program.<br /><br />Most importantly though, enjoy yourself. Never make training a burden.<br /><br />Get a heart rate monitor.

Ha, damn, guess I would have to re-iterate what everyone else here says, long slow rides do amazing things. Somebody once mentioned to me that cycling is one of the few endurance sports where you train for an event by doing longer events, marathon runners train for a marathon by doing 20 km runs, whereas we train for a 100 km race by getting a number of 150 km rids in (well, maybe not 150 :-[). Also check your diet and sleep patterns etc, I've found that cycling seems to suffer more than most sports if you aren't sleeping or eating properly (Hmm, as I found this morning after last nights wine tasting :p)

Check out www.SPENCYCLES.com and click on "New to Cycling". There is some good advice for folks just getting started!

I was 112 Kg two years ago and is now 87Kg. The way I got myself to loose the weight was not to focus on weight loss but rather fitness. When you think about loosing weight you get very quiqly disapointed when things are not going your way. Fitness however, is something you can't loose when training regularly and it's enjoyable.. I must say, I only started thowing off the real Kg's when I was getting fitter. Once you are reasonably fir start to seriously look at you eating habbits. Eat little bits offen 5-6 times a day and very little carbs at night, mainly eat fish or chicken with veggies..<br /><br />Start buidling your fitness by doing lot's of base work. Don't forget to do a bit of weight training. This helps in building stronger muscles, toning and power. Weight training is also a better Fat Burner than cycling alone. Gaurd yourself against loosing muscle.. Eat enough Protien like fish, chicken and egs. Lossing your muscle is loosing your ability to burn fat.. There is products like Tonalin etc. that helps you not loose muscle during hard training.<br /><br />I started also looking at he Body for Life eating plan.. Quite good and works for me.. The training is however different as I am cycling much more than their &quot;aerobic&quot; limits a week. The idea of suplements twice a day works very well. Myoplex is just very expensive but there is others just as good. <br /><br />Eating properly is just as important as your training. Yuo will always have the energy and if feels great to follow a heathy eating plan..<br /><br />