Training Tips for a Novice

mikesbytes said:
Books will give you some good ideas, in the mean time, reduce your carb intake at night and increase your protein intake. Avoid hidden calories, such as beer, soft drinks, fruit juce, biscuits etc. Click on the link at the bottom of my post and set yourself up your own journal.
Why would you increase your protein intake?? That will add bulk! Carbs are what you need for cycling. Not a huge amount, or a lot of protien, but a decent amount of carbs. If he wants to lose 10kgs to be leaner, I'd say cut down on both, but don't increase intake!

There's a book that is pretty decent (in my mind) called "The Complete Book of Long Distance Cycling: Build the Strength, Skills and Confidence to Ride as Far as you Want" by Burke and Pavelka (Bicycling Magazine). It is aimed at recreational riders (not race riders or competitive athletes). Page 122 is a layout of "Training for 50 miles", which, is a 6-12 week programme. Pages 8-10 describe how to use your Heart Rate Monitor for Training. These two sections, plus p. 126 "Nutritional Adjustments" provide core knowledge.

The amount of water consumed is entirely dependent on the conditions and the effort expended. The trick is to drink before you are thirsty. Too much water and you will be looking for the Gents/Ladys. Too little water and you will suffer.

mikesbytes said:
The amount of water consumed is entirely dependent on the conditions and the effort expended. The trick is to drink before you are thirsty. Too much water and you will be looking for the Gents/Ladys. Too little water and you will suffer.
It has been suggested to me that it's worth buying some of these recovery/power drinks. Is it worth looking at these as an alternative to water or as an addition to the water i.e. carry both?

Sorry to keep asking what are probably very simple questions but unless I ask I will never know. Inceidently by applying what has been said so far my endurance is much improved as has, I believe, my general fitness so thanks again for your kind advice.

Dietary needs for weight loss are completely different for weight loss and cycling performance are completely different. Be careful on the recovery drinks, check there contents. If you burn a 1000 calories on the ride and then immeaditly comsume a 1000 calories how much weight have you lost? Protein is required to repair the muscles after the exercise and will help strengthen them up. Once you are a slim accomplished rider, the need for protein is reduced and the calorie intake needs to match calorie burn and carbs are a good source of calories.

I was reading a thread on here about Chocolate Milk being as good a recovery drink as anthing else. Chocolate Milk is Milk (water, protein, sugar (lactose)) with sugar (high fructose corn syrup) added. Sounds just like a recovery drink. But, be aware that 500 ml of lowfat (1%) chocolate milk provides about 340 calories (alot!), which equals what I burn while riding 18 km at a decent pace.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t336796.html

Sports drinks are water, sugar, and some electrolytes.

Here is article about sugar:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045000.asp

sparkywowo said:
Sports drinks are water, sugar, and some electrolytes.

Here is article about sugar:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045000.asp

And these 'sports drinks' you are referring to are generic and not very beneficial to serious athletes. A 'recovery' drink contains more than sugar. Remember, sugar is energy/fuel, but does not help you build, repair, or strengthen muscles or bones.

Sugar, salt, and potassium will only get you so far before you realize that you can still die from cramps if you don't take in the other essential vitamins you have depleted during hard rides. Like Calcium! (which is in the milk someone mentioned)

Thanks again for all the responses, and it is clear that following the advice is paying dividens. Proper shoes have now been purchased, and I think I'm onto a farly healthy diest whilst runnuning an overall calorie defecit. Lunch is now either fruit or pasta or a combination of the two.

I've got up to thirty miles comfotably now and still have five weeks to go. I've also settled on a next goal I am going to try the Trans Rockies rides in 2007 assuming I can train hard enough and long enough. Anybody here tried one of these marathons?

I think I may be slightly insane aiming for it but nothing ventured nothing gained

Gweilo_uk said:
Thanks again for all the responses, and it is clear that following the advice is paying dividens. Proper shoes have now been purchased, and I think I'm onto a farly healthy diest whilst runnuning an overall calorie defecit. Lunch is now either fruit or pasta or a combination of the two.

I've got up to thirty miles comfotably now and still have five weeks to go. I've also settled on a next goal I am going to try the Trans Rockies rides in 2007 assuming I can train hard enough and long enough. Anybody here tried one of these marathons?

I think I may be slightly insane aiming for it but nothing ventured nothing gained
Sweet!
Yeah the Trans Rockies Race in Canada? That is a ******* of a race, 600km, and it's really, really hard. If it's the same one that I know..It's for teams of 2-4, the entry fee is I think $1500CDN and the prize is $25,000.

There's some big, big names that enter that race. World class XC guys like Andreas Hestler. Other notables are the one legged man, and some 60yo that finished it lol. No offense... I just remember being stunned that someone with one leg did that whole race. The guy probably makes as much power with one leg as I make with two. Pretty impressive, also for that 60 year old that did the whole race.
http://www.transrockies.com/
Kudos man

K50 said:
Sweet!
Yeah the Trans Rockies Race in Canada? That is a ******* of a race, 600km, and it's really, really hard.
Kudos man
Apparently it dosnt finish in Canmore anymore but in Panorama which is surely cheating. I would think after 7 days and 600km a pint of Powder Hound in a bar in Canmore would be the very thing you'd need. Certainly is afetr a days skiing.

I also see that there are 7 team slots left this year, somehow I don't think I'd be ready by August 6th though.

I read the book after seeing it recommedned on another forum. also saw the same training plan in bicycle magazine. followed it more or less and worked my way up easily to a very hilly century.

key is adding 10% per week to your long ride and getting at least 1 day of rest each week.

but i'd also suggest riding different rides each day on different routes at different speeds.

also, as to water and food, for anything over 1 hour, I find I need to use a sports drink and start to munch. don't let yourself bonk!

sparkywowo said:
There's a book that is pretty decent (in my mind) called "The Complete Book of Long Distance Cycling: Build the Strength, Skills and Confidence to Ride as Far as you Want" by Burke and Pavelka (Bicycling Magazine). It is aimed at recreational riders (not race riders or competitive athletes). Page 122 is a layout of "Training for 50 miles", which, is a 6-12 week programme. Pages 8-10 describe how to use your Heart Rate Monitor for Training. These two sections, plus p. 126 "Nutritional Adjustments" provide core knowledge.

I think I found out what was meant in one of the earlier posts to this thread re how bad you can begin to feel if you run out of essential fuel. I was part way through a peal attempt this morning when I hit absolute zero, thirsty, dizzy, racing HR and shaking legs. Bloody awful feeling and has taught me the merits of fueling up prior to exercise.

Had I been on a bike I probably would have fallen off.

hehe...happens to all of us at least once, twice, maybe more.. It is a good lesson though, but yeah, it's painful. I did that last year once, I was on the brink of passing out. I can't really remember much of how I made it home, but I remember nearly passing out. Wasn't fun. Great, stupid, hard lesson lol.

A question about kilometres...

Just bought a budget road bike. My last was a mountain bike I used to get to work and back. I found I had no problems doing 10k or more on that bike, even in the Aussie heat. The only thing that made me really work were steep hills. Just like swimming, I found I can swim for a long time as long as I don't try to swim too fast.

So my question is, I have read many posts about how many kilometres per ride for training etc, but 20k for me may be a different 20k for you as the roads are not identical... So when someone refers to riding 20k, do we take for granted a 20k flat road?

Also, what is a good allround consistent speed?

Cheers,

faux
tongue.gif

Now beofre I start this post, I just want to emphasise that I'm not seeking a perfect six pack or anyhting quite that sad.

I heard a whisper today that doing leg raises, crunches and/or sit-ups (well anything that works to strengthen the abdominal muscules) will help in relieving lower back pain that may occur after riding.

Is this true?

I ought to confess that after 4h 20m 30s in the saddle yesterday doing 40 miles XC I have that back pain. Althoug 8 miles on a static trainer eased it right off.

fauxpas said:
So my question is, I have read many posts about how many kilometres per ride for training etc, but 20k for me may be a different 20k for you as the roads are not identical... So when someone refers to riding 20k, do we take for granted a 20k flat road?

faux
tongue.gif
Assuming a flat road, little wind, and riding at decent pace (not loafing, but not going as fast as possible either, about what it takes to work up a good sweat) I would be riding at about 30 km/hr. You might ride faster or slower under the same conditions at the same level of effort.

Now, if due to hills or winds you are working harder and going slower, you would consider a 20 km ride to be longer than 20 km, because it would take you so much longer to ride it. So, figure a "20 km ride" to be equivalent to saying "riding at a good pace for 40 mins". If someone says they rode a certain distance I think it is assumed the conditions were reasonably flat or rolling, unless they specify they were hilly.

It is really hard to give a "good" average speed, because speed depends so much on wind, hills, your bike (type of bike, weight, tires), the distance you are riding, and the type/class of rider you are comparing yourself to etc...

For someone interested in fitness and distance riding, under 25 km/hr is on the slow side (below 20 is definitely slow), 25-35 is moderate, and faster than 35 is fast. These are just my own estimates assuming the relatively flat road with not much wind. Hills or a headwind can cut your speed dramatically. I might ride 30 km/hr no wind, while 20 km/hr into the wind, and +35 km/hr with a tail wind.

Thanks for that. I have staked out a 30k course for myself and I'll pick up a bike computer thing to monitor how I'm going.

In one of the latest bike mags it said the peleton in one of the tours averaged 45kph...

Yikes
eek.gif

K50 said:
hehe...happens to all of us at least once, twice, maybe more.. It is a good lesson though, but yeah, it's painful. I did that last year once, I was on the brink of passing out. I can't really remember much of how I made it home, but I remember nearly passing out. Wasn't fun. Great, stupid, hard lesson lol.
I just thought I'd post a quick note to thank the people who took the time to post some ofthier wisdom and experience in thier replies to my original question. I did the ride yesterday with about 27,000 other people and got to the end in one piece. The gears pretty much gave up after the first 12 miles or so so I only had the top 7 to do the last 42 miles which made the hills interesting.

But Thanks again for your advice :)

This is a very interesting find indeed. I will have to check it out when I get the time though. Thanks for the nice tips.