training tips for Rosarito Ensenada race?

estolano

Aug 10, 2004
My buddy and I each got bikes for our birthdays and have been riding for two weeks (probably about 10 mile rides) and are thinking of trying to complete the Rosarito to Ensenada bike race (about 50 miles up and down hills) on September 25. Is this too ambitious? Does anyone have tips as far as a training schedule?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just upgraded from my walmart bike to an entry level trek road bike and am really getting into this biking thing. With any luck, soon I will be able to see my feet!

I'm no expert but if you ride at least 5-6 days per week, even for 10-15 miles a ride, I'm sure you will be able to finish the event. Try to do 10 mile rides at a pace you will be doing during the event. 15 mile ride at 80% effort that you'll be doing during the event. Long rides (20 miles) on weekends or when time permits. During the event, draft at other cyclist but don't try to keep up with fast riders, you'll just burn out fast. Enjoy the scenery and use your gears wisely (don't mash the medals). Drink lots of water before the event and drink consistenly during the event. Don't forget to munch on something on the road too. Good luck

estolano said:
My buddy and I each got bikes for our birthdays and have been riding for two weeks (probably about 10 mile rides) and are thinking of trying to complete the Rosarito to Ensenada bike race (about 50 miles up and down hills) on September 25. Is this too ambitious? Does anyone have tips as far as a training schedule?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just upgraded from my walmart bike to an entry level trek road bike and am really getting into this biking thing. With any luck, soon I will be able to see my feet!

Thanks for the advice. My buddies and I are hoping to save ourselves the embarrassment of arriving at the finish line in one of those trucks!!

estolano said:
Thanks for the advice. My buddies and I are hoping to save ourselves the embarrassment of arriving at the finish line in one of those trucks!!
I did that event several times in the '80s.

My advice... burritos and beer. You need to work on that for when you reach Ensenada...