Training Tires

davereo

Jun 17, 2010
Every year as the weather conditions in New England begin to deteriate I begin to use my oldest bike more often until it is the only thing I am riding. Normally this bike is outfitted with tires that have been used on my other bikes (not a good idea). Last October I crashed while taking a left hand turn. I learned a good lesson that I wont repeat. This year I will invest in a good set of tires to mount on my "polar bike". I do not ride in the snow or when there is ice on the roads. I do ride in the rain and mist when temps are above freezing. I also ride during the 6 month period when there is road salt and sand on the road shoulders. I am looking for a good tire that will perform well in these conditions and is not prone to flats (fixing flats during the winter is not fun).

I like and use Maxxis Re-fuse tires. They're pretty sticky, and at least for me, they've been über reliable (one flat in 1500 miles). That's no small feat as my area is littered with glass, in the city, and goatheads (a nasty bit of flora that evolved solely to cause flats) everywhere else. Price on Re-fuse tires is $25-30/tire.

I've found Gatorskins really good for both puncture resistance and handling too:).

I'm a big fan of tyre liners for training - Mr Tuffys (now renamed) are really good:)

BBB

I've ridden on off-road races with Gatorskins and I didn't get a single puncture. Not the stickiest tire, but very durable.

However, I rolled over a tiny piece of glass in my apartment and the tires cut...

They're actually pretty good, whether or not the expensive justifies having them is another thing though.

alienator said:
I like and use Maxxis Re-fuse tires. They're pretty sticky, and at least for me, they've been über reliable (one flat in 1500 miles). That's no small feat as my area is littered with glass, in the city, and goatheads (a nasty bit of flora that evolved solely to cause flats) everywhere else. Price on Re-fuse tires is $25-30/tire.
I checked on Maxxis site to look at their training tires. I have a brand new pair of "Fuse" that came stock on my Synapse. These tires are not listed on their site and I am wondering if they are OEM for Cannondale or an earlier version of the "Re-Fuse".:confused:

davereo said:
I checked on Maxxis site to look at their training tires. I have a brand new pair of "Fuse" that came stock on my Synapse. These tires are not listed on their site and I am wondering if they are OEM for Cannondale or an earlier version of the "Re-Fuse".:confused:

Fuse tires are what came before Re-fuse tires and are no longer in production. The Re-fuse are much improved over the Fuse.

Picked up a set of Armadillo's today, and no, they're not cheap. I'll post up after I get some miles on 'em.

So, I've but my first serious ride in on the Armadillos. I didn't really think I would notice the weight difference, but it was actually rather substantial, especially when the grades get steep. That being said, GREAT training tire. If you can get a ton of miles out of them, and it forces me to get stronger and lose a couple of pounds, that seems like a thumbs up to me.

I'd recommend Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tires. This is what I use during the winter months and have never had a flat with them before (knock on wood). They are a kevlar belted, dual compund tire offering a very hard rubber in the center for added puncture protection with a stickier rubber compound on the sides for cornering. Retail is between $30 and $40 depending on the shop where you get them. There is also an "all weather" version available for extra grip in wet conditions.

Originally Posted by ToffoIsMe .

I'd recommend Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tires. This is what I use during the winter months and have never had a flat with them before (knock on wood). They are a kevlar belted, dual compund tire offering a very hard rubber in the center for added puncture protection with a stickier rubber compound on the sides for cornering. Retail is between $30 and $40 depending on the shop where you get them. There is also an "all weather" version available for extra grip in wet conditions.

I've had very good luck with the Race Lite Hardcases. I went 5 years without any flats, then had 2 flats just this past Summer on a set that had about 4,000 miles on them.

Have a look at the Continental GP4000S tyres (the ones with the Black Chillie compound).
They seem to be light, rugged and roll well.
I will be getting a pair shortly and I will trying them as a training/touring tyre.

It is amazing how noticeable a few extras grams on the rear tyre makes to a hill climb (especially if the tyre does not roll so well) /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Well I decided to use the new set of Maxxis Fuse tires that I already have they are mounted on my 07 CAAD 9. As soon as the first snow arrives I will be rolling on the Maxxis Fuse until the street sweepers make their appearance. Hopefully I remember to post on this thread and share my results next spring.
Thanks for bumping this thread KLAB. Maybe you can post in the future about your results with the Conti GP4000S.

Originally Posted by KLabs .

Have a look at the Continental GP4000S tyres (the ones with the Black Chillie compound).
For a performance tire, GP4000s (S and non-S) are remarkably rugged, and the tread compounds are a little more "all-weather" than many other tires in its class. The non-S version seems to wear a little better. I use 'em pretty much year 'round now.

[SIZE= medium]I’ve used a whole bunch of tyres for training and racing. [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Always what I do now with my two training bikes (singlespeed and geared bike) is I have a tyre liner (Mr Tuffys) in the back tyre. I never get flats. [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]One hardly ever gets flats on the front so that’s sorted and for the rear – well with a good training tyre (such as you guys have listed, but not the Conti S – they’re really only for racing) and the liner its almost impenetrable by glass etc. [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]I guess I could fit liners in the fronts too as they don’t weigh much.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]With my race bike / wheels I try to use a fast race tyre and hope for the best. I can sometimes go a whole race season (say 30 – 35 races) without one flat anyway. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]BBB/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/SIZE]

Hi BBB, I know that you haven't included the Conti GP4000S, but ... they grip exceptionally well, even on wet varied surfaces. It sounds like you don't think that they are puncture resistant enough? They also provide an exceptionally comfortable ride and do wear quite well /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I'm not a big fan of Conti tires, either the Gatorskin or the GP4000's. I've had both and got consistent flats of about 2 a week; also the sidewalls are flimsy and are subject to damage. I got a set of Kenda Konstrictors for less money then either Conti and the Kenda's are way superior to the Conti in flat protection, sidewall protection, cut resistance. wear, and handling..actually handling is about the same as a Conti, but the Conti's are more comfortable to ride on. Heck even the Specialized Mondo S Works and Vittoria Rubino Pro tires are better then Conti's.

In reality I just buy whatever I can get the largest price discount on, this year it was the Kenda Konstrictors at $18 each instead of $40 retail. I find the largest discounted tire then read the reviews, if no good I pass on the discount, Kenda got rave reviews on RBR and in fact better the any of the Conti's.