Training to become a professional cyclist

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by vin_18, Sep 4, 2004.

1. vin_18

vin_18 New Member

Hi

I'm 18 and training to become a professional cyclist. My ambition is to ride for a european cycling team. As I have a lot of free time I cycle for about 30 miles a day. How many miles do u think I should train for to become a professional

Tags:

2. velomanct

velomanct New Member

the best thing you could do is get a good coach. that will answer all your questions, and help you reach your full potential.

just be ready to do some real hard work. cycling at the top level is extremely hard, mentally and physically.

3. David_Lawton

David_Lawton New Member

Where exactly can you find coaches? I've looked into online coaching but that doesn't appeal to me as much as a coach that works in person. Is online coaching like ric or chris carmichael the only way to get a coach?

4. dhk

dhk New Member

As the first step, I'd suggest joining a local club or race team. Training and racing is the quickest way to find out what it's all about. You can set some intermediate goals a season at a time, and then determine if you've got the ability and dedication to become a pro.

5. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

You can of course get a coach in person as well as on-line coaching (we offer this as well). The 'issue' here is that you can only work with people in your locale.

I'm not sure where you're located (i.e., country) but by contacting your local governing body or similar* they'll be able to help find you a local coach.

*In the UK, for e.g., there's coaching from the Association of British Cycle Coaches and also British Cycling offer coaching.

If you let me know where you are, i can try to help you locate someone.

ric

6. David_Lawton

David_Lawton New Member

I live in Sacramento, California. Do you know what the price range is for personal coaches? So far I havn't been able to find someone to coach me, but I know there has to be.

7. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

Hi David,
    Please email me at [email protected] and i'll see if i can help

cheers
    ric

8. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Then you haven't looked very hard. Contact the UC Davis Sports Medicine center (do an on-line search). They are outstanding and complete. Eric Heiden is one of their coaches!

9. Smartt/RST

Smartt/RST New Member

David, I'm an associate coach with RST just down the road from you in Oakland. Please contact me directly at [email protected] and I would be happy to discuss the services that I can offer you. I've also competed in the NCNCA and USCF for many years and could provide some specific insight into racing in our region.

10. David_Lawton

David_Lawton New Member

I think it's more like not knowing the right places to look for.

11. KeSs

KeSs New Member

I am also looking for a cycling coach, anyone know of any in the Pittsburgh, PA area? I am also 18 and i am pretty determined to enter CAT 1/2 within the next year

BTW: Sorry for the thread hijack

12. mendeex

mendeex New Member

The secret to be a pro is how to??? no the time you ride or the miles you training, there are a lot of training tips, 1. gym ( build your body but not so much ) 2. fast legs ( lots of miles of plane ) 3. specyfic works ( intervals, strenght work, explosive works, cadence works, etc ) 4. constancy and the most important love your bike and care your body.
    Eat right, recuperation, massage and sleep.