training to cycle across europe

kevmcd

May 15, 2010
hey

me and 2 other friends were thinking about cycling across europe next summer for charity.

we are thinking about a few routes and they all roughly end up around 3500 km,

were all relativley fit but i was just wondering what type of training and how much should i do to prepare for it.

The type of training you'll want to do depends on how much experience biking you and your friends have, and how far you want to go each day.

In general, I would recommend slowly working your mileage up to slightly over what you want to average with 1 or 2 longish rides a week. The goal of this is to build endurance, and make sure you can actually finish a days ride.

Also, since you probably don't want to spend all day every day training for this, you should do a shorter, somewhat faster ride every day. The main goal being increased recovery speed (you want your body to recover from the days ride before the next day's ride starts).

Hey. It's a great plan. COngratulations!
5 years ago my wife and I cycled across Europe from POrtugal to Turkey and it was a great experience. We want to do it again.
Prior to the ride the only training I did was 40km a day (cycling to work) for 5 days a week for 2o years and some mountain hiking. My wife on the other hand had no training at all.

We did 100km a day on average and we were fine.

Good luck!

Bart Z.
noumads.tripod.com