Training to increase power output

smokey26_02

Jun 14, 2005
What separates the Cat1 from the Cat5 guys is power output, especially when it comes to duration. I want to learn how to increase my current power output while also increasing my long distance power output.

What are the ways to increase power output and how should I start to train?

Thank you for any suggestions in advance.

Freddy

There's lots of similar threads on the forum asking these type of questions, which answer in a general manner. Some quite interesting reading.

i get the feeling more specific questions will get you some answers. Or, if you really want to improve at a fast rate then coaching is an excellent way forward (which we can help you with).

Ric

smokey26_02 said:
What separates the Cat1 from the Cat5 guys is power output, especially when it comes to duration. I want to learn how to increase my current power output while also increasing my long distance power output.

Freddy

smokey26_02 said:

Freddy
No matter what you do, no matter what you try, it often comes down to trying to guess what your 'true' limits are, and finding ways to push them higher and higher.

Biggest mistake some beginers make is to underestimate the speed at which they can ride.

The following doesn't constitute an advice as I don't know you.

I showed a friend of mine (office collegue) abc of road cycling in 2004. He didn't have any athletic back ground except for some ice hockey when he was younger.

I simply told him that on his 50k flat course, he should always try to finish the ride at avg speed higher than the previous one. He did that for two years (we had many 'unofficial 2rider team TTs' together as well), plus some hill training once a week.

And so for two years, he'd been entering the office at 8:30 with a smile on his face yealing 37.1 !! and few days after 37.3 !! with the tumbs up.

In 2006, he's been alterning this (twice a week) with one weekly fast pace line ride over 40kmh on close circuit (formula1 race track). He also does hills (L5) occasionly.

A fair guess would be that he's ~290w FTP rider at the moment, he weights 69kg. He hasn't done one single race (except for those unofficial races when his opponents are anyone he sees on the road wearing a jersey). He never rides more than 50 or 60k, 'near all out' effort over the duration all the time, with no endurance ride.

This anecdote doesn't constitute a sound advice per se of course, but don't be afraid to push your limits when you feel you have fresh legs.