Training vs. Racing

Vo2 said:
Ask yourself this question: "What do I do differently on my training days and on race day?"
One thing that jumps to mind is warm-up. During your training rides you probably start-off slowly, and once you hit the hills, your muscles are warm without having used much of your available energy stores.
What's the bet that when you start the race, you try your best to stay with the early bunch? Your muscles are not warmed up and you expend alot of energy during the first 10km or so.
Another thing that happens is that during this 'initial' surge of work, your blood sugar level drops and you feel weak. It takes awhile for your body to bounce back from the shock of sudden work, and you feel stronger (the last part of the race).

I know it's difficult to warm-up before the race because of the starting pens. Try and cycle around the area at the race, and do some light stretching while waiting in your pen.
I use heat rub on my legs to 'artificially' warm them up.
deeee

ewep said:
I wonder if this has happened to anyone else. I train a minimum of 5 days a week (usually 6) and get "wonderfull" results on my hill and interval training. Come race day however I seem to fall out of the bus on hills and interval type work (chase in the bunch, relax in the bunch). I don't know if I'm doing the wrong training, or maybe it's the race day blues (On race day I want to do better than before). I feel rather stupid as I did some hill training this morning and felt much better than during the Edenvale race on Sunday. It feels like I've hit a brick wall when starting a race. I'm scared of the hills :( although I know I've done enough training and feel as if I've got no power/energy. I start carbo loading 3 days before the race. I must confess this only happens in the first 1/2 - 2/3 of the race. The last part of the race is usually great! :) Can anyone please help me PLEASE :'(
asss

ewep said:
I wonder if this has happened to anyone else. I train a minimum of 5 days a week (usually 6) and get "wonderfull" results on my hill and interval training. Come race day however I seem to fall out of the bus on hills and interval type work (chase in the bunch, relax in the bunch). I don't know if I'm doing the wrong training, or maybe it's the race day blues (On race day I want to do better than before). I feel rather stupid as I did some hill training this morning and felt much better than during the Edenvale race on Sunday. It feels like I've hit a brick wall when starting a race. I'm scared of the hills :( although I know I've done enough training and feel as if I've got no power/energy. I start carbo loading 3 days before the race. I must confess this only happens in the first 1/2 - 2/3 of the race. The last part of the race is usually great! :) Can anyone please help me PLEASE :'(
DDSSSSS

ewep said:
ssdd

ewep said:
zzzzx

ewep said:
ssdd