Training Week Ending 3/30/2003

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Swstudio, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org (my band & photo website)

    Tags:

  2. Chris Smith

    Chris Smith Guest

    SwStudio wrote:

    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Mar 23 S DNR M 8 miles 1:15 (9:24) T DNR W 8 miles with hills, wind and rain (love it) 1:11 (8:53) T
    DNR F 10 miles easy 1:38 (9:48) S DNR Total: 26 miles Tapering, one week left to my first 50 miler.
    What was I thinking?

  3. sun dnr mon dnr tue dnr wed 8 k in 43 mins thur 5 k "test" w club splits: 1 k 4.04 3 k 12.47 5 k
    22.03 i.e started far too fast (but beat goal time of 22.30) fri dnr sat 16.2 k in 1.33 with club
    news:[email protected]...

  4. In article <[email protected]>, SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Recover base, run around, have fun. Sunday: off Mon : off Tuesday: 45 minutes, including some 6
    400's. the tests proved that a) I do have _some_ speed left and
    b) it isn't much even by my standards. Wed : off Thu : 60 minutes (my longest run in
    several weeks) Fri : off Sat : 35 minutes (legs and lungs decided that either I
    wasn't recovered from Thursday, or that there was too much humidity in the air, or
    that there was too much pollen in the air. plan was 50 minutes)

    140 minutes total.

    Also some nights doing shoulder exercises. I've progressed to 4 lbs now. (initially, a year ago, 1
    lb was difficult.)

    Net Friday and Saturday I'll be getting certified by RRCA for coaching. I mentioned to one of the
    graduates of last year's program that I've been told for years that I was certifiable and finally
    will get a certificate to prove it. She assured me that there was no need for further proof that I
    was certifiable. Such supportive folks I coach!

    --
    Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and amateur activities notes and links.
    Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much evidence and ease; this

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Chris Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    >SwStudio wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
    >
    >Mar 23 S DNR M 8 miles 1:15 (9:24) T DNR W 8 miles with hills, wind and rain (love it) 1:11 (8:53)
    >T DNR F 10 miles easy 1:38 (9:48) S DNR Total: 26 miles Tapering, one week left to my first 50
    >miler. What was I thinking?

    :)
    Hope you have some answers for that question ready for when you pass miles 15-25 of the 50.
    Daunting business to reach mile 25 and instead of only having 1.2 miles to go, you're only
    half way done.

    But you can do it. Just a suggestion to line up some answers for when the legs realize you've
    tricked them and that this isn't a marathon after all.

    --
    Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and amateur activities notes and links.
    Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much evidence and ease; this
    great facility makes them less appreciated than they would be had they been presented in a more
    abstruse manner." Two New Sciences

  6. Chris Smith

    Chris Smith Guest

    Robert Grumbine wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Chris Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Tapering, one week left to my first 50 miler. What was I thinking?
    >
    > :)
    > Hope you have some answers for that question ready for when you pass miles 15-25 of the 50.
    > Daunting business to reach mile 25 and instead of only having 1.2 miles to go, you're only half
    > way done. But you can do it. Just a suggestion to line up some answers for when the legs realize
    > you've tricked them and that this isn't a marathon after all.

    Thanks, Robert. I have always more or less enjoyed the "gallows" humor (not to be confused with
    Galloway humor) that is rampant in marathons, even a little bit in half marathons, I have run, and
    the ultra crowd seem particularly and amusingly nutty in this regard. I imagine I will hear all
    manner of commentary on this topic during my first ultra.

    On a more serious note, I've found in my attempts to practice ultra-style long running that it takes
    an amazing amount of concentration to stay in a SLOW pace frame of mind, even with walking uphills
    and enforcing other walking/eating breaks along the way. My biggest concern is that no matter how
    determined I am to coast along early, I'll zone out and let 10 to 15 miles scroll past at my old
    marathon-training long run pace, which is way too fast if I hope to finish. And that's my goal, just
    to finish (in April, if possible). At this point, I expect to make it.

    Either way, I'll be back here when I regain consciousness and the use of my extremities to report on
    what it was like.

  7. Joe Positive

    Joe Positive Guest

    goals: better/stronger/faster etc, no injuries. Recover from 10K last Saturday. 5K on May 2, another
    on May 17.

    M: 4M (9:30)
    N: 4M (9:38)
    O: dnr
    P: 5M (9:20)
    Q: 6M - miles 3 & 5 hard (7:25/7:37) Sa: 5M (9:15) Su: 11M hill run with club (9:00)

    Total: 35 miles

    This week I had some moderate PF and shinsplint pain in one leg, but with
    rest/ice/stretching/painful massage/take-it-really-easy the problem got much better after a
    couple of days.

    This morning the running club took a road trip to a town about 40 miles north of here where there
    are actually hills! I was the short-timer with just 11 miles; many of the others are Boston-bound
    and were doing 20+ miles. They have my admiration.

    Good week all

    Karen

  8. Daniel Habel

    Daniel Habel Guest

    Monday 3.1 miles Tuesday 4.7 miles at 7'35 Wedn 3.5 miles (5 x 800 m average 2'45) Thursday DNR
    Friday 4.0 miles in 24;36 (6'05 pace) Sat DNR

    Mileage up gradually after 4 months of no running. I spend all winter on my skis. Goal : sub 37 at
    Ottawa Nordion 10 k.

  9. Satish K

    Satish K Guest

    Goal - Finish my first marathon - Avenue of the Giants, CA, May 4th

    Mon: 5 miles (@9:05) Tue: 6 miles (@8:51) Wed: 6 miles (@9:16) Thu: 4 miles (@8:53) Fri: DNR Sat: 13
    miles (@10:02) Sun: DNR; 1 hour of racquet-ball.

    Total: 34 miles.

  10. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    Chris Smith wrote:

    > Either way, I'll be back here when I regain consciousness and the use of my extremities to report
    > on what it was like.

    Go out slow and then taper. :)

    --
    Caveat Lector "the further you go outside, the further you go inside" - B. McKibben Doug Freese
    [email protected]

  11. Jim Virgo

    Jim Virgo Guest

    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and
    goals. Buffalo Marathon May 25th

    Monday 9 miles intervals Tuesday 4 miles easy Wednesday 9 miles threshold Thursday 4 miles easy
    Friday 15.5 miles Threshold and easy (TLT) Saturday 9.5 hilly miles, easy

    Total 51 miles

    -JimV

  12. Nina

    Nina Guest

    heya, rec.runners.

    not a lot of running this week. six miles to be exact. but, a mileSTONE: i finally kicked the one
    habit i was so ashamed of i didn't even tell you guys what was the main thing that kept me from
    running. i quit smoking (again) 48 hours ago. wish me strength. i feel 200% fitter already. :)

    i'd taken up the smokes again when i started school (overwhelmed with stress and surrounded by
    people who are almost all smokers). i hadn't smoked in over 2 years and, yes, it felt good to be
    back. but finally, i ended up feeling really bad about it, especially because i couldn't run
    anymore, couldn't breathe freely anymore, and because i hate feeling addicted to anything (ok minus
    running :) )

    so, smoke free life, here i come.

    bought myself a nice new running shirt to celebrate :)

    cheers, nina

  13. Db

    Db Guest

    SwStudio (David in Hamilton) wrote:

    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Goals: National Capital Marathon (Ottawa) in mid-May; figure out what is causing recent
    dizziness (and no, in case you were going to ask, I'm not blond); avoid injury; keep on keeping
    on, and all that.

    The Week:

    Mon: noon: 8K including 2*big hill, gorgeous sunny day, +5C
    p.m. 1:15 Ashtanga yoga class, excellent as always

    Tue: noon: 6K, legs felt fresh, awesome; balmy 8C but raining
    p.n. yoga practice

    Wed: 8K, legs felt strong but didn't feel "right" overall -- off-balance?

    Thu: 8K followed by yoga class (not) -- run went OK, not great, then felt very dizzy at yoga and
    left after a few minutes

    Fri: doctor's appointment; some stretching and push-ups and such; tired

    Sat: blood tests and EKG; some stretching and push-ups and such; tried some yoga, but no balance
    (timber! :)

    Sun: 32K long run; windy and -2C; felt OK for most of 30K, then light-headed so walk/ran the last
    2K. Legs felt fine, sigh.

    Best to all for the week ahead, db (in Ottawa)

  14. Jake Lee

    Jake Lee Guest

    First full "normal" running week post 3/2/03 marathon

    Mon: DNR

    Tues: 1 hour of wild fartleking, aka spirited soccer

    Wed: 50 mins, medium

    Thur: 25 mins, tempo (7:30), 87%mhr

    Fri: 45 mins, easy/medium

    Sat: 1h40m, medium/hard both rolling roads and lots of tough hilly trails

    Sun: 40 mins, very easy/fairly easy

    Total: 5h20m including soccer

    Goal: Run for fun and local exploration, continue to 'listen to body', however I feel like running
    on a given day on unmeasured courses (except for tougher tempo sessions), and hopefully make steady
    gains in general aerobic fitness. Keep myself in sub-marathon distance race-shape for no particular
    future race.

  15. Monday 10 easy Tuesday 9.75 (3.25 easy at noon, 6.5 at night including 4 800's on the track)
    Wednesday off Thursday 15.5 easy Friday 10.25 moderate Saturday 16 on the bike Sunday 16 ran a half
    Marathon - 1:34:30 (a 2:45 PR) plus warmup and cool down for team results see
    www.teamutopia2004.com/results

    61.5 total

    Spring Goals
    62. raise mileage back to to 60 - 70 a week
    63. get weight down to 165, hanging at 170
    64. 3:15 - 3:20 Marathon in the spring at Boston?
    65. Stay healthy and get stronger, lighter and faster

    Next race 5 miler on Sunday, maybe a 5k on Friday night.

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
    >

    > cheers,
    > --
    > David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org (my band & photo website)

  16. Roger 2k

    Roger 2k Guest

    Personal Records were made this week.

    Tue Morning hills around 6 miles with 3 records on the biggest hill: 3rd time: 43.50 which is a
    record because it is the first time I did it 3 times. 2nd time: 38.50 which is a record, for a
    second time, by almost 1.5 seconds. 1st time: 34.72 (I sort of doubt that time, but I still believe
    it was better than my PR of 36.75 seconds)

    Wednesday Night: About 6 miles. I don't know why so many people turned around early since it was a
    perfect night.

    Thursday Morning 4 miles. Thursday hill in 49.78 which is only my 3rd time below 50 seconds and
    first time below 50 seconds with a run the night before.

    Saturday morning Track 2 mile warm up, 400 in 71 seconds, a few 60s, 100s another 400m with 1.5 mile
    cool down.

    Sunday 3x20 second hills with 4 minutes recovery.

    Possible races next weekend 5k on Saturday and a 5k on Sunday.

    Goals: Sub 7 minute mile average for a 5k again.

  17. Lyndon

    Lyndon Guest

    David <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Goals: middle distance mid-season races

    Carlsbad 5000 on 4/13 800s on 4/18 and 4/26 1500 on 5/3

    Sunday: 8 X 100 (12.7 avg) @ 45 sec rest

    Monday: off

    Tuesday: weights + sprint drills

    Wednesday: 8 X 100 (12.9 avg) @ 45 sec rest

    Thursday: weights + sprint drills

    Friday: coaching: high school track meet, no run

    Saturday: 6 X 400 (59) @ 60 sec rest

    Total for week: 5

    The great HIT experiment continues. I'm well ahead of where I was at this time of year the last 2
    years, despite the fact that I'm running not much more than
    1/10th the mileage. Judging by my submaximum VO2 (heart rate at pace during warmups) my aerobic
    condition seems to be actually better (not worse) after the very low volume HIT period. To say the
    least, Carlsbad is going to be interesting. Considering that US distance runners had their best
    ever performance (gold medals in 5000 & 10000 in 1964, not to mention other like Ryun at about
    that time) when we had Igloi, have we in the US been barking up the wrong tree ever since?

    At this point, I've seen enough to pay Bob Schul (he's the guy who actually has the gold medal) for
    a copy of his training plan. It was interesting to look at a copy of Runners World's recent piece on
    5K training in the grocery store and see the comment from Schul recommending a workout of 150's with
    50 meter walk recovery (basically the same thing as Izumi Tabata's research on High Intensity
    Intermittent Training).

    Back to the future??

    Lyndon

    "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

  18. Joe Positive

    Joe Positive Guest

    On 30 Mar 2003 11:26:16 -0800, [email protected] (nina) wrote:

    >i quit smoking (again) 48 hours ago. wish me strength.

    Good going there, Nina. It's tough, but it's worth it. It will get easier.

    Karen (another ex-smoker)

  19. In article <[email protected]>, SwStudio wrote:
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Goals posted earlier, it's almost painful to type them. Just now, I'd be happy if I was really on my
    feet again.

    Mar 24: dnr Mar 25: 5 miles total. First attempt at speed work in a while. Reduced interval session:
    2x1200. Splits way too fast in beginning. Didn't help that I couldn't see the watch (night time).

    Mar 26: 5 miles at 9:00 pace Mar 27: rest Mar 28: 10.5 miles at 9:00 pace Mar 29: 4 miles walk,
    12:30 pace Mar 30: rest

    Total: about 25.

    Thoughts: the long run was worse for my achilles than I thought. It was more sore than usual the
    next day. result ? I'm avoiding long runs until my achilles is 200% recovered. May continue with
    light speed work, and try to approach it with better control next time. Seriously considering adding
    more walking, to keep milage closer to 30.

    Cheers,

  20. kevintn

    kevintn Guest

    Trying to pick up some speed. I have a 1/2 marathon coming up in 4 weeks. I could die a happy man if
    it were 2:00 or less. I figure one more long run (or 2) then I will taper some. I have dropped some
    weight, eating better, doing all the right things. Keep your fingers crossed.