Training Week Ending 3/30/2003

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

Mon: DNR

Tue: 1:10 easy (<70% HRmax)

Wed: 0:20 easy, 0:50 HM pace (>85%)

Thu: 0:40 easy

Fri: 0:20 easy, 6x10 min HM pace

Sat: DNR

Sun: 2:30 easy, 10 min M pace (80%)

First week of running season (XC skis waxed and stored).

Present conditions: forest paths still largely unrunnable, either muddy or icy; weather sunny and
warm or sunny and cold depending on the direction of the wind, shorts will have to wait until May,
or longer...

Goals: to keep on running, to participate in a 10K race five weeks and a HM race seven weeks on, to
be able to contemplate the results and to make some sort of plan for the summer.

Anders

Mon-6.11mi-51:42=8:27/mi Tue-3.23mi-27:00=8:21/mi-hilly workout. Wed-5.41mi-42:31=7:51/mi-fartleks
Thu-3.51mi-28:49=8:21/mi Fri-6.00mi-49:44=8:17/mi-windy windy windy Sat-off, moving
Sun-8.63mi-74:14=8:36/mi

week-32.9 miles month-100.2 miles

goals-to break 100 miles in one month (accomplished) -to train for the Dexter-Ann Arbor half
marathon on Jun 1. -to try to get my training pace under 8:00/mi

-jeremy

+================================================================+ Jeremy Hallum, System Manager ,
Astronomy, University of Michigan [email protected]::[email protected] "Audentis
Fortuna Iuvat"

In article <[email protected]>, Robert Grumbine wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
>>
> Recover base, run around, have fun. Sunday: off Mon : off Tuesday: 45 minutes, including some 6
> 400's. the tests proved that a) I do have _some_ speed left and
> b) it isn't much even by my standards. Wed : off Thu : 60 minutes (my longest run in
> several weeks) Fri : off Sat : 35 minutes (legs and lungs decided that either I
> wasn't recovered from Thursday, or that there was too much humidity in the air, or
> that there was too much pollen in the air. plan was 50 minutes)
>
> 140 minutes total.

What are your reasons for logging time instead of distance ? It strikes me as a good idea, what's
your take on this ?

Cheers,

> i quit smoking (again) 48 hours ago. wish me strength. i feel 200% fitter already. :)

Congratulations! Wish you all the best. - Satish

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:51:02 -0600 (CST), [email protected] wrote:

>Trying to pick up some speed. I have a 1/2 marathon coming up in 4 weeks. I could die a happy man
>if it were 2:00 or less. I figure one more long run (or 2) then I will taper some. I have dropped
>some weight, eating better, doing all the right things. Keep your fingers crossed.

What half are you planning on running? I'm looking to run a half-marathon in 4 weeks but haven't
decided between Nashville or Kalamazoo.

If I have the very best day possible, I could hit 2 hours, but I expect I'll be a couple minutes
over. I've put in some decent training and even improved my 5k times down to 22:30, but I haven't
lost enough weight to keep a 2 hour pace for the full 13.1 miles.

Forgot to mention a Thursday night run.

Thursday night: It is a group run with a bunch of people that run the last Thursday of the month. 20
minutes out 22 minutes back.

I ran with someone who has won a lot of races and I was breathing pretty hard. I didn't clock the
mile markers, because I might have found out we were going slower than I thought we were. When we
met another part of the group, on the way back, I slowed down and ran with them.

I was already worn out because of running the day before and then the 4 miles that morning, with a
tough hill. I was surprised to see any speed at all that night.

[email protected] wrote in message <[email protected]>...
Trying to pick up some speed. I have a 1/2 marathon coming up in 4 weeks. I could die a happy man if
it were 2:00 or less. I figure one more long run (or 2) then I will taper some. I have dropped some
weight, eating better, doing all the right things. Keep your fingers crossed.

Sounds like fun and the time you are asking for brings back memories. It seemed like only yesterday,
early March, that I was trying to break 2:00 in a half marathon.

My finish time was 1:59:40 and I hope you can top that.

Roger

Goals: Last two Gran Prix races in May and June, maybe Calgary Stampede Marathon in July ?

And still....get over the PF in rt foot!

Mon: Rest Day Tues: 5.45 mi @ 9:11 pace. Low 80's and breezy today. Wed: DNR, had to move ham
antenna and DISH after work. Carport to be demo'd tomorrow so new garage can be built! :) Thurs:
5.45 mi @ 8:46 pace. Very windy. Ran with Claude today. Fri: 3.45 mi @ 8:15 pace. Tempo run today.
Very very windy today. Allergies starting to kick up. Sat: 12 mi @ 9:30 pace. Wind was low during
most of run, after having howled all night. Started blowing again strongly during last two miles.
Darn foot was achy a lot of the way. I think the shoes I wore Thurs need changing out now. They're
up to 435 miles and i think that was the "sign" that they're dead. Sun: 7.5 mi @ 9:28 pace. Nice,
beautiful, afternoon run in Sabino Canyon. A tad warm, but the beauty of the canyon made for a
really uplifing run. Foot didn't even so much as squeak today. Claude also ran with me, and his
knee/ankle were also quite painless!

Total: 33.85 mi

(I know I crammed a lot in at the end of the week, jamming my Tempo run next to the Long run. But
sometimes ya run out of time, and I feel fine today, so I guess I got away with it ;-))

Teresa in AZ (I wanna go back to Sabino Canyon!)

Bill Rogers threatened to kill me and my family via email.

He said he was coming to my house to kill me. He said he has two dogs that he will feed me to. He
said that he wants to rape my wife and daughter. He send this in the form of email. This sick man
said that he will burn my house when he is done. Very much a racist he has called me a "spic" on a
number of occasions and made reference to "lynching me like a ****er".

Bill, you took it way to far now. It's not a joke anymore and it's not funny. Bill, you should
consult the law on threats made via email. You placed my family and I in fear for out lives. I have
contacted the Department of Justice and forwarded all of those emails to them, as well as all of his
postings here.

For the rest of you, all should avoid this guy. He is very disturbed and believe he is possibly
capable of acting on the things he has aid

Mon- 9 easy 6:30 pace then 3 easy w/fiancee 9 min pace for 12 total. Tues-5 in AM very easy 6:53
pace. PM, 8X800 w/400 jog (2 min) recovery.
2:28, 2:27, 2:28, 2:26, 2:26, 2:23, 2:22, 2:22. Whew. Windy. Wed- 13 easy 6:25 pace. Thurs- 5 AM
very easy 6:45 pace. PM, 4.5 warmup then mile in 5:00, 4 min rest, then 10X400 all in 72-73 sec
except one each 74 and 71. Then 4 min rest, then mile in 4:54. Legs shot, lots of wind. Fri-5
in AM 6:52 pace, PM 8 in 6:30 pace easy. Sat-3 mile warmup, then 6 mile tempo in 5:35 pace.
Cooldown for 11 total. Sun-16 easy 6:40 pace. Total for week: 95 miles ---Legs not recovering
fully; not suprising since no days off or weeks below 90 in 5 weeks. This will be an easier
week as I start to get ready for a 10k track attempt at sub-32 on April 12th. Andy Hass

In article <[email protected]>, Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>, Robert Grumbine wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>, SwStudio
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
>>>
>> Recover base, run around, have fun. Sunday: off Mon : off Tuesday: 45 minutes, including some 6
>> 400's. the tests proved that a) I do have _some_ speed left and
>> b) it isn't much even by my standards. Wed : off Thu : 60 minutes (my longest run in
>> several weeks) Fri : off Sat : 35 minutes (legs and lungs decided that either I
>> wasn't recovered from Thursday, or that there was too much humidity in the air, or
>> that there was too much pollen in the air. plan was 50 minutes)
>>
>> 140 minutes total.
>
>What are your reasons for logging time instead of distance ? It strikes me as a good idea, what's
>your take on this ?

Partly just that it had been mentioned here as an idea, so I tried it. It seems to be working out
well for me.

My take is that there are a few different good reasons to do the log by time rather than distance.

Mentally:
* Helps keep me from being enslaved by the log book
* Makes it easier to get out and try new routes, which is a good thing also for keeping the
running 'fresh'.

Training:
* Most training, in terms of your body, is really in terms of time anyhow. While we may cover very
different distances in 60 minutes, a 60 minute run is a 60 minute run for us both.
* By looking at time, rather than distance, I get more variety in my runs. It seems too common that
I wind up varying distance, but keeping the duration the same. This is a problem for me when I
race a duration longer than I trained. -- It's also bad for when I try to get a proper long run
done. If all runs are 50 minutes, even if they're at different paces, going to a 75 minute long
run is difficult.

But I confess that I do also record distances (whether measured or inferred) in the log book. For
the reports here, though, I think it's time that's most generally useful.

--
Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and amateur activities notes and links.
Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much evidence and ease; this

joe positive <[email protected]> wrote:

> Good going there, Nina. It's tough, but it's worth it. It will get easier.

Thanks, Karen, and Satish! Right now I could crawl up the walls or something : ) but I know it's
worth it, and most of it, I know that if I did go back smoking wouldn't make me feel any better,
quite the contrary.

I did 7 miles today (with a few walk breaks) and now I can at least begin to evaluate by how much my
physical fitness has dropped - now that I'm not short of breath ALL the time anymore. Feels nice to
feel my legs before I can feel my lungs.

cheers, nina

Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Chris Smith wrote:
>
> > Either way, I'll be back here when I regain consciousness and the use of my extremities to
> > report on what it was like.
>
> Go out slow and then taper. :)

How did things go in Maryland? At least you had the warmer of the two weekend days.

I didn't do Mudders & Grunters. Too cold and cloudy for me. Yeah, yeah I'm a whimp but I hate
shivering for hours after a race. I at least need some sun to shine on me.

Andy

Goals: get back the 10+ secs/km I've lost at all race paces :-( To do this I should sleep early. Not
tonight tho'. Hmmmmmm.

Comparison of effort/pace per km Effort Feb March 3k 3'15 3'25 10k 3'34 3'45 21k 3'52 4'05 42k 4'09
Probably over 4'20 :-( LSD 5'00 5'15

==========
Last week: 6 hours 15 mins, 70km = 43 miles of which one half-marathon

==========
This week:

Mon 1:23 14.0k 9.0mi Long recovery run at 5'50/km (9'24/mi)

Tue 0:34 7.0k 4.0mi 18'up, 8x185m/100m hills in 43"/32", 7'down

Wed REST

Thu 0:52 8.5k 5.5mi Strong,gusty wind: V. slow= 6'/km (9'40/mi)

Fri 1:26 18.5k 11.5mi Still windy: 44'Endurance=4'43/km (7'36/mi) 2km in 8', jog 3' 3km in 12'25,
jog 5' 2km in 8'20, 5' down

Sat REST Sun 1:47 21.5k 13.5mi Still windy: 1h20 at 5'35/km (8'57/mi) 20' at 4'/km, 2k in
7'40, 5' down
_________________________
Tote 6:00 69km 43miles

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

All training done at 11,200-11,500 ft. altitude. Outdoor training almost all uphill and downhill.
Goals: Set some PRs (5K <21:49, 5M <36:53) in June and July at low altitude in U.S. Get weight down
to 190 by June.

Wed: 5.1M at 9:58 pace; HR 144 avg Thurs: 5.1M at 9:46 pace; HR 142 avg. Fri: 3.1M on treadmill at
10:38 pace; No HR Sun: 7.6M at 10:02 pace; HR 141 avg.

Total 20.9 miles Weight Mon. AM: 197.5 pounds

Goal: maybe run Med City Marathon (5/26)

Last week was my spring break, so my schedule got a little screwy with travel. Monday: DNR Tuesday:
treadmill 4 miles (34:08), weight lift Wednesday: treadmill 4 miles (33:59) Thursday: DNR Friday:
DNR Saturday: treadmill 8 miles (68:22), weight lift Sunday: treadmill 2 miles (17:24). I was having
breathing problems (felt like I was sucking in air but it wasn't doing any good) so I stopped early
and rode the bike for 20 minutes.

Week prior: Monday: treadmill 3 miles (25:40), weight lift, bike 20 minutes Tuesday: 6 miles (50:59)
Wednesday: treadmill 3 miles (25:44), weight lift Thursday: treadmill 4 miles (34:07) Friday: drive
450 miles, DNR Saturday: DNR Sunday: treadmill 10 miles (85:44), light weight lifting

marisa

I just gotta ask, how do you get miles to two digits????????

Doug Freese wrote:
> I just gotta ask, how do you get miles to two digits????????

Easy. Timex speed and distance watch.

Tim
--
It's only Usenet. Nobody dies.

Robert Grumbine wrote:

> Training:
> * Most training, in terms of your body, is really in terms of time anyhow. While we may cover very
> different distances in 60 minutes, a 60 minute run is a 60 minute run for us both.

FWIW, with the advice of folks here, I started using times to deal with differences in snow depth
and pavement then trails and hilly trails, but as I became more familiar with training principles,
trying to improve my running (for hills and distance, not speed), and the physiology of running, I
began to appreciate that most things are based on time (with some effort involved, I'm sure). TOL
reflects not just the musculo-skeletal system but energy release, digestion, and a bunch of internal
processes which know nothing about distance, but do require attention. Most of the conditioning
drills and runs that I've seen (largely Owen Anderson and RRN or PP) seem to be based on x minutes
at y effort with z minutes of recovery or n hours of running at y effort.

Dot