Training Week Ending 3/30/2003

Tim Downie <[email protected]> wrote:
> Doug Freese wrote:
>> I just gotta ask, how do you get miles to two digits????????
>
> Easy. Timex speed and distance watch.

Dingdingdingdingding!

Correct.

Though it's probably only statistically significant to one decimal, I've been keeping two in the
running log.

-jeremy

+================================================================+ Jeremy Hallum, System Manager ,
Astronomy, University of Michigan [email protected]::[email protected] "Audentis
Fortuna Iuvat"

amh wrote:

> How did things go in Maryland?

Slow as ****. The saving grace was warm rain and warm mud. About 8 of the 31 miles was hard packed
dirt roads, the rest was a mosh contest. First time through just a little slick. Stayed to the sides
of the trails for leaves and twigs for traction. By second trip through there was very little
traction. I worked hard the second loop but went nowhere fast. In a strange way it was fun.

My time was about 40 minutes slower than previous years but I was using it as a training for Bull
Run(50 miles) two weeks from now. With the mud and this years snow I still don't know what shape I'm
in. Sooo, I'll take my own advice and go out slow and taper for my next race. It's been a strange
winter for training. :)

> I didn't do Mudders & Grunters. Too cold and cloudy for me. Yeah, yeah I'm a whimp but I hate
> shivering for hours after a race. I at least need some sun to shine on me.

Amen! I spent 5:37 in rain and mud. I spent Sunday under a blanket watching basketball and the war.
It's two days later and I feel good. I guess that's a good sign. :)

--
Caveat Lector "the further you go outside, the further you go inside" - B. McKibben Doug Freese
[email protected]

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 03:01:53 GMT, Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

>amh wrote:
>

>> How did things go in Maryland?
>
>Slow as ****. The saving grace was warm rain and warm mud. About 8 of the 31 miles was hard packed
>dirt roads, the rest was a mosh contest. First time through just a little slick.

I never had you pegged as a mosher.

>Stayed to the sides of the trails for leaves and twigs for traction. By second trip through there
>was very little traction. I worked hard the second loop but went nowhere fast. In a strange way
>it was fun.

Congrats on finishing. Every so often it is necessary to test one's will as much as one's body.

>My time was about 40 minutes slower than previous years but I was using it as a training for Bull
>Run(50 miles) two weeks from now. With the mud and this years snow I still don't know what shape
>I'm in. Sooo, I'll take my own advice and go out slow and taper for my next race. It's been a
>strange winter for training. :)

Downstate the roads have been clean of snow. Just a matter of bundling up in the cold. I cringe at
the thought of what the roads you run on are like.

>> I didn't do Mudders & Grunters. Too cold and cloudy for me. Yeah, yeah I'm a whimp but I hate
>> shivering for hours after a race. I at least need some sun to shine on me.
>

>Amen! I spent 5:37 in rain and mud. I spent Sunday under a blanket watching basketball and the war.
>It's two days later and I feel good. I guess that's a good sign. :)

Cool.

Andy

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 14:13:30 -0500, SwStudio wrote:

>Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
>
>cheers,
>--
>David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org (my band & photo website)

Goals: Enjoyment - nothing less. Upcoming events: beach 5K on 4/5, 8K on 4/12, possible track meet
on 4/25, 5K on 4/26.

Mon - DNR Tues - LSD - 94:48 - Susan's first long run in a while Wed - DNR Thur - 4 miles - 39:42 -
fartleks Fri - 5 trail miles - 53:45 Sat - 4.2 miles - 44:02 Sun - 4 miles - 43:01

Layne

The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running

On 30 Mar 2003 11:26:16 -0800, nina wrote:

>not a lot of running this week. six miles to be exact. but, a mileSTONE: i finally kicked the one
>habit i was so ashamed of i didn't even tell you guys what was the main thing that kept me from
>running. i quit smoking (again) 48 hours ago. wish me strength. i feel 200% fitter already. :)

Good for you. I switched from cigs to a pipe in 1975 and gave up the pipe last December. It was
easier to kick the pipe than do the switch. Good luck and hang tough. Can you imagine your running
in 6 months with happier lungs
<G>?

Hang in, Layne

[email protected] wrote:

> Though it's probably only statistically significant to one decimal, I've been keeping two in the
> running log.

Hark, my indirect point. I'd bet a parcel of fly wings that rounding to whole numbers would provide
equally accurate data and less typing. Gotta love scientists and their need for accuracy. :) :)

--

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 03:01:53 GMT, Doug Freese wrote:

>Amen! I spent 5:37 in rain and mud. I spent Sunday under a blanket watching basketball and the war.
>It's two days later and I feel good. I guess that's a good sign. :)

Woof, it sounds like you really got a good (?) workout. From what I can tell, you're being pretty
modest - 68 DNFs, winner just under 4 hours, and last finishers just under 10 hours. I like the
description they have on their home page saying that it's "an accessible ultra running event for
runners of all abilities." Uh huh <G>.

Good job, Layne

"Layne Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Can you imagine your running in 6 months with happier lungs
> <G>?

actually i just realized today that hey, there are people out there who, like, have real jobs and
race, so why shouldn't i be able to run really well again? even though school stresses me out,
occasionally?

:)

it looks like this week will be the first one over 15 miles in a long time. and i read my running
magazine today (haven't done that in a while!) and realized i still really really really wanna run a
marathon some day.

see, things are getting better. :) i can really feel the urge returning. i did 3 miles today and
can't wait for the next run, although i might have to wait until sat... hm.

cheers, nina

>it looks like this week will be the first one over 15 miles in a long time. and i read my running
>magazine today (haven't done that in a while!) and realized i still really really really wanna run
>a marathon some day.
>
>see, things are getting better. :) i can really feel the urge returning. i did 3 miles today and
>can't wait for the next run, although i might have to wait until sat... hm.

You go girl! I'm happy to hear you getting excited again. And that you're moving toward even better
health in more ways than one. Yahoo!

--
Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'd bet a parcel of fly wings that rounding to whole numbers would provide equally accurate data
>and less typing. Gotta love scientists and their need for accuracy. :) :)

Awww Doug! Leave the man a significant decimal digit for a little while at least, he is a *real*
scientist (as opposed to computer scientist, technical geeklet and sometime amateur astronomer
like myself).

I've only just got over the shock of rounding to the nearest half-mile/km in my posts here and it's
been neigh on a year since you taunted me :)

And I still record one significant digit (ostensibly for pace checking but maybe...), even though
the Timex gives me two or three + the speed and pace<bg

steve common wrote:

> Awww Doug! Leave the man a significant decimal digit for a little while at least, he is a *real*
> scientist (as opposed to computer scientist, technical geeklet and sometime amateur astronomer
> like myself).

Astronomy astrology - what's in a name. :)

> I've only just got over the shock of rounding to the nearest half-mile/km in my posts here and
> it's been neigh on a year since you taunted me :)

Azimuth, elevation, stars, pisces swimming through the sky - you gave gazers malomyopia(bogus fun
name) syndrome. :) :)

> And I still record one significant digit (ostensibly for pace checking but maybe...), even though
> the Timex gives me two or three + the speed and pace<bg>

Just like with food, give more than needed and walk away with distended stomachs and log looks. ;)

--

Layne Wallace wrote:

> Woof, it sounds like you really got a good (?) workout. From what I can tell, you're being pretty
> modest - 68 DNFs, winner just under 4 hours, and last finishers just under 10 hours. I like the
> description they have on their home page saying that it's "an accessible ultra running event for
> runners of all abilities." Uh huh <G>.

This was the sixth time I did this race and the first time I ever experienced these conditions.
Taking into consideration the delightful weather conditions we have had this winter in the NE (it's
still snowing with temps in the low 30's today), it's was a natural progression. Anyway, less the
rain, this is normally a very easy course enjoyed by many first time ultra/trail runners. With the
soupy mud I'm not surprised at the high DNF rate. I only hope on April 12 I do not get to enjoy more
rain. I did that race two years ago when it was wet and made for a very long day.

It looks like the cut off time is about 10 hours. They state "cut-off is at 25.5 is 7 hours after
the start."

--
Caveat Lector "the further you go outside, the further you go inside" - B. McKibben Doug Freese
[email protected]

> On 30 Mar 2003 11:26:16 -0800, nina wrote:
>
> >not a lot of running this week. six miles to be exact. but, a mileSTONE: i finally kicked the one
> >habit i was so ashamed of i didn't even tell you guys what was the main thing that kept me from
> >running. i quit smoking (again) 48 hours ago. wish me strength. i feel 200% fitter already. :)

Nina... that was a surprise to hear! and you sounded like such a serious runner all that time that
not for one moment did i suspect you were "One Of Them" :)

hang in there, though. i've watched some of my smoker friends battle with quitting many times over
the years, but they all eventually kicked the habit. and one of them was wise enough to replace the
smoking habit with a lot of exercise. the others just gained weight.

congrats, and keep going! i'm rooting for ya.

Cam

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 19:45:51 +0200, nina stoessinger wrote:

>actually i just realized today that hey, there are people out there who, like, have real jobs and
>race, so why shouldn't i be able to run really well again? even though school stresses me out,
>occasionally?
>
>:)

:) Yep, you're gonna kick ass. FWIW, I think that finding the balance
between running (or whatever) and life its own self is the key. If you find out how, I hope you'll
let me know.

>it looks like this week will be the first one over 15 miles in a long time. and i read my running
>magazine today (haven't done that in a while!) and realized i still really really really wanna run
>a marathon some day.

<G> You will. 15 miles is a pretty good start. So, uh, er, will next week be 16 miles?

>see, things are getting better. :) i can really feel the urge returning. i did 3 miles today and
>can't wait for the next run, although i might have to wait until sat... hm.

LOL. Yep, it's good to have you back.

nina stoessinger wrote:
> "Layne Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Can you imagine your running in 6 months with happier lungs
>><G>?
>

> actually i just realized today that hey, there are people out there who, like, have real jobs and
> race, so why shouldn't i be able to run really well again? even though school stresses me out,
> occasionally?
>
> :)
>
> it looks like this week will be the first one over 15 miles in a long time. and i read my running
> magazine today (haven't done that in a while!) and realized i still really really really wanna run
> a marathon some day.
>
> see, things are getting better. :) i can really feel the urge returning. i did 3 miles today and
> can't wait for the next run, although i might have to wait until sat... hm.
>

> cheers, nina

Good change in attitude.

How about rather than dreaming of the marathon "some day", planning for a 5k or 10K sometime in
the next two months? Pick one and register. This is the season when there should be some good
races to choose from. It can be a great motivating factor.

Don't forget to let others know you what race you are planning to run. If nothing else the fear of
embarassment if you don't run the race will get you there. Remember, the key is getting to the
starting line. The rest is just fun.

--
Ed Prochak running: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/ family:
http://web.magicinterface.com/~collins

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 12:10:53 GMT, Doug Freese wrote:

>This was the sixth time I did this race and the first time I ever experienced these conditions.
>Taking into consideration the delightful weather conditions we have had this winter in the NE (it's
>still snowing with temps in the low 30's today), it's was a natural progression. Anyway, less the
>rain, this is normally a very easy course enjoyed by many first time ultra/trail runners. With the
>soupy mud I'm not surprised at the high DNF rate. I only hope on April 12 I do not get to enjoy
>more rain. I did that race two years ago when it was wet and made for a very long day.

It looks like a great run (normally). It's awfully close to NYC (for a Southerner) but I may have to
give it a try in a year or two. The Guana 50K only had 6 people finish it (the winner in just over 4
hours) although there were a number of teams that finished. I definitely plan to do it next year -
before it goes away.

Sorry to hear about the snow and the temps. Maybe this is their last Hurrah. Good luck on the 12th.
I'm sure you'll have a blast.