Training Week Ending 3/30/2003

"Cam Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nina... that was a surprise to hear! and you sounded like such a serious runner all that time that
> not for one moment did i suspect you were "One Of Them" :)

*phew*
:)
they're everywhere. on this side of the atlantic they are.

> hang in there, though. i've watched some of my smoker friends battle with quitting many times over
> the years, but they all eventually kicked the habit. and one of them was wise enough to replace
> the smoking habit with a lot of exercise. the others just gained weight.

well i just realized at some point that what i was really wanting when i'd smoke was not smoking
itself, but, you know, some sort of gauge to let off pressure... a de-stressing, reassuring,
chill-out break. in one word: the thing that running used to do for me. (!) and once i realized
that smoking made me totally unable to run (wheeze, wheeze), i just quit. it's actually going
surprisingly well. i mean i do crave it but i just know i don't want it anymore, and i do feel a
ton better.

thanks for the encouragement, Cam. it's sooo good to be back. :)

nina

"Layne Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote:

> :) Yep, you're gonna kick ass. FWIW, I think that finding the balance
> between running (or whatever) and life its own self is the key. If you find out how, I hope you'll
> let me know.

he he. i just read an article in the NY Runner a couple days ago where they interviewed a few really
really busy people who still run multiple times a week. one key statement was, "running isn't just
another thing to fit in, it's the one thing that enables you to fit in more other stuff"... which is
true. i mean i have quite a bit of 'idle' time right now and although the thought of putting it into
running seems stressful at first, i know that's actually gonne be more de-stressing and enriching
than doing, er, nothing. :)

> 15 miles is a pretty good start. So, uh, er, will next week be 16 miles?

no idea. :) i'm gonna try to build some sort of base around 15 miles. then see how it goes and
increase if it's possible.

> LOL. Yep, it's good to have you back.

thanks, Layne. it's good to be back.

how have things been going for you, anyway?

cheers, ni"mm the sun is out today"na

"Ed Prochak" <[email protected]> wrote:

> How about rather than dreaming of the marathon "some day", planning for a 5k or 10K sometime in
> the next two months?

true. i was actually thinking of doing this in april. only thing i have to do is pick up a local
race schedule... lets see... i can do that this afternoon. :eek:)

> Remember, the key is getting to the starting line. The rest is just fun.

i know. i <3 racing. i got a bit too addicted to it last year i think :) but i'm really looking
forward to returning.

my Big Goal is a HM in september. maybe. a race i wanted to do last year but was too late in trying
to register. hmmm
:)

nina

nina stoessinger wrote:
> "Ed Prochak" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> How about rather than dreaming of the marathon "some day", planning for a 5k or 10K sometime in
>> the next two months?
>

> true. i was actually thinking of doing this in april. only thing i have to do is pick up a local
> race schedule... lets see... i can do that this afternoon. :eek:)

Well, my first race this year will be April 19, a 5K called the Bog Sucker Strut. It's run in
the park and named for a local bird. It's a new course this year so it should be interesting,
more hills.

>>Remember, the key is getting to the starting line. The rest is just fun.
>

> i know. i <3 racing. i got a bit too addicted to it last year i think :) but i'm really looking
> forward to returning.

I didn't catch that you were returning to running. So you know the drill.

> my Big Goal is a HM in september. maybe. a race i wanted to do last year but was too late in
> trying to register. hmmm
> :)
>
> nina

Good luck in your training and I hope to hear more about your return and your HM. Now I have to go
out today and it looks like rain. If ti's only rain, it should be okay.

Enjoy the run.

--
Ed Prochak running: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/ family:
http://web.magicinterface.com/~collins

"Ed Prochak" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well, my first race this year will be April 19, a 5K called the Bog Sucker Strut. It's run in the
> park and named for a local bird.

I was wondering. ;)

> Good luck in your training and I hope to hear more about your return and your HM. Now I have to go
> out today and it looks like rain. If ti's only rain, it should be okay.

I like rain runs, actually, as long as they're not too cold. That said, we do have smashingly
beautiful, warm weather today - despite the forecasts being for low 40s and rainy.

cheers, nina

In article <[email protected]>,
"nina stoessinger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Cam Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Nina... that was a surprise to hear! and you sounded like such a serious runner all that time
> > that not for one moment did i suspect you were "One Of Them" :)
>
> *phew*
> :)
> they're everywhere. on this side of the atlantic they are.
>

> > hang in there, though. i've watched some of my smoker friends battle with quitting many times
> > over the years, but they all eventually kicked the habit. and one of them was wise enough to
> > replace the smoking habit with a lot of exercise. the others just gained weight.
>
> well i just realized at some point that what i was really wanting when i'd smoke was not smoking
> itself, but, you know, some sort of gauge to let off pressure... a de-stressing, reassuring,
> chill-out break. in one word: the thing that running used to do for me. (!) and once i realized
> that smoking made me totally unable to run (wheeze, wheeze), i just quit. it's actually going
> surprisingly well. i mean i do crave it but i just know i don't want it anymore, and i do feel a
> ton better.
>
> thanks for the encouragement, Cam. it's sooo good to be back. :)
>
> nina

nice going, Nina. now *I* just need to shake my sugar habit.... always munching on cookies and junk
food which people at work bring in to share. i'm hating work because it's ruining my good
eating/training habits. normally, i save the binge as a reward after a race. it's too close to race
season for me to still have a spare tire!!! yes, i'm weak.....

Cam

In article <[email protected]>,
"nina stoessinger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Layne Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > :) Yep, you're gonna kick ass. FWIW, I think that finding the balance
> > between running (or whatever) and life its own self is the key. If you find out how, I hope
> > you'll let me know.
>
> he he. i just read an article in the NY Runner a couple days ago where they interviewed a few
> really really busy people who still run multiple times a week. one key statement was, "running
> isn't just another thing to fit in, it's the one thing that enables you to fit in more other
> stuff"... which is true. i mean i have quite a bit of 'idle' time right now and although the
> thought of putting it into running seems stressful at first, i know that's actually gonne be more
> de-stressing and enriching than doing, er, nothing. :)

Good point. I am extremely busy all week long, between work, looking for another job after this
contract is up, some family time, a little social time if i'm lucky.... and all of this revolves
around my workouts. I NEED those workouts in order to keep sane with everything else going on. not a
lot of down-time (relaxing and not running), but i WILL NOT give up the running and other workouts i
do at least 5 days of the week. i simply feel better and more able to manage all the other stuff if
i've had my exercise.

Cam

"Cam Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> nice going, Nina. now *I* just need to shake my sugar habit.... always munching on cookies and
> junk food which people at work bring in to share. i'm hating work because it's ruining my good
> eating/training habits. normally, i save the binge as a reward after a race. it's too close to
> race season for me to still have a spare tire!!! yes, i'm weak.....

welcome to the club. i seem to be totally unable to lose any of the weight i gained over the winter.
especially now that i've quit smoking, i do munch more. *shrug* can't have everything. :) actually
right now i'm not obsessing over it. i would like to lose some weight but it'll happen when i'm
ready, just like the no-smoking did.

cheers, ni"can't be an overachiever at everything"na

In article <[email protected]>,
"nina stoessinger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Cam Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > nice going, Nina. now *I* just need to shake my sugar habit.... always munching on cookies and
> > junk food which people at work bring in to share. i'm hating work because it's ruining my good
> > eating/training habits. normally, i save the binge as a reward after a race. it's too close to
> > race season for me to still have a spare tire!!! yes, i'm weak.....
>
> welcome to the club. i seem to be totally unable to lose any of the weight i gained over the
> winter. especially now that i've quit smoking, i do munch more. *shrug* can't have everything. :)
> actually right now i'm not obsessing over
> it. i would like to lose some weight but it'll happen when i'm ready, just like the no-smoking
> did.
>
> cheers, ni"can't be an overachiever at everything"na

and i'm not sure how old you are, Nina, but in my case, i might attribute some of *my* lingering
weight to a slowing metabolism as i get older. must be, since i workout 5-6 days per week, for
anywhere between 40 minutes (bike, run) to 2 hours (swim).

yeah, you're right not to obsess about it... hey, a little extra padding isn't stopping us from
running, right? :)

besides, summer is when i really slim down, out doing long runs or intervals at the track on hot,
sunny days (i can't wait!)

Cam

"Cam Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> and i'm not sure how old you are, Nina, but in my case, i might attribute some of *my* lingering
> weight to a slowing metabolism as i get older.

I'm 24. *laugh* no chance.

> must be, since i workout 5-6 days per week, for anywhere between 40 minutes (bike, run) to 2
> hours (swim).

You are impressive, Cam. Hey, have you done your first tri yet?? I've been away so long.

> besides, summer is when i really slim down, out doing long runs or intervals at the track on hot,
> sunny days (i can't wait!)

Thanks -- you just had me choke up thinking about a summer sunday afternoon, being out running,
running, running for a couple of hours... by then I'll be able to do that again :))

nina