Training Week Ending December 14, 2003

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by SwStudio, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. GOAL: 7.8 Mile leg of a marathon relay - Feb 29th

  2. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    [email protected] (Anders Lustig) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Anthony) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > Next race is marathon on Jan 8. Starting to taper.
    >
    > Going well...

    Yeah...but adductor was sore again after last night's run - thought I had gotten over that...

    > > Thu: 1/2 Marathon in 1:23:56, 3k up, 1k down
    >
    > Why do we generally tend to be less conscientous than the "real runners" about the cooldown?

    After the 1k jog, I went for a great 10 minute swim in the natural spring pool at the race site -
    don't know why so few runners took advantage of that....

    > OK, in your exuberant mood you can be excused *this time*:)

    Thanks Anders! Not quite exuberant yet - more nervous....

    Anthony.

  3. M1ahearn

    M1ahearn Guest

    >> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about you training week and goals.
    <<

    Sun - DNR Mon - DNR Tue - DNR Wed - 4 miles, 33:22 Thu - 4.5 mile, 40:49 Fri - 3.5 miles, 33:53 Sat
    - BaD News Day

    Mileage for week - 12

    I was planning on running the Run the Rock Half Marathon on Sunday the 14th; it was a race
    option with the White Rock Marathon in Dallas. Originally I planned on running this hard but
    then I realized that I'd have ultimate frisbee Winter League starting up by then, which meant
    two games of Ultimate the day before the race. I decided to do it just as another long run
    instead. Even still, I wanted to take it easy at Ultimate the day before. We play two games
    each Saturday and each game has two halves; I figured if I could limit my playing to two points
    in each half - eight points for the day - I should still be okay on Sunday. This assumed we had
    subs; by the time our first sub showed up on Saturday, one half was already in the books. I
    think I sat out one point in the second half of the first game. Between games a second sub
    showed up but I still played a lot more than I planned on in the second game. So, when I lined
    up Sunday morning, my legs were pretty trashed. Which was too bad because conditions were much
    better than they had been back at the Dallas Half Marathon on November 1. The temperature was
    in the mid-thirties and should still be under fifty by the time I finished and the wind was not
    too bad. I started slow because of the crowd (10:01), increased speed as I got room to maneuver
    (9:09, 8:50), then slowed back down as I ran into a guy from my Hood-to-Coast team and ran with
    him for a while (9:23, 9:30, 9:49, and 17:27 for miles seven and eight). I may have caused him
    to run a little faster than he intended - especially those last two miles. Sorry, Bob. In mile
    nine, the course turns off of Skillman Avenue onto Swiss Avenue and the downhills back to the
    American Airlines Center start. I tried running them gingerly hard (8:25,
    17:52 for miles ten and eleven, 8:52, 8:58, and :54 for that last .1), finishing in 1:59:09. I left
    Bob back when I started downhill on Swiss Avenue; he finished in 2:02:20something. I don't
    recommend playing strenuous sports the day before a race, but given that I decided to make the
    compromise I'm happy with the way things worked out. The last two miles of the race were very
    tough; only knowing I had a shot at breaking two hours kept me from walking. I think running into
    Bob was a great bit of luck as running with him held me in check through miles where I might have
    otherwise burned myself out.

    Mike

  4. Steve Common

    Steve Common Guest

    [email protected] (Anders Lustig) wrote:

    >Hope you got to stand on (or as if on) the podium for "équipes"?

    We came second, but I didn't make the first five this time, being around one minute behind the guy I
    beat by one minute last year. But as that's what was expected, I'm *relatively* pleased (ie sick and
    fed up of running like a bag full of fresh hippo droppings)

    >Tue 1.5 hrs running on unlit forest paths in a perfect moonlit night: the temperature had sunk
    >below freezing and the frost made the landscape magically luminous. A long bath in a really good
    >sauna, complete with a quick swim in the (not yet frozen) lake and home- made (rye-malt, low-
    >alcohol) beer afterwards. You people don´t know what you miss in this life:)

    Well if you leave out the frozen lake (have to make do with cold shower or chilly swimming pool),
    then I do know what I'm missing and *stop* rubbing the salt in please ;-)

    > (1) BTW how *should* a 10K race be run for optimal out-of-racing-season training
    > purposes?

    Answer: without a fully-loaded ammunition chamber in running shorts. If an asthmatic co-runner,
    who's trying to reel you in at the end of a 10k race, can manage to sound erotic to you, then you're
    obviously getting as little as I am, or were not running anywhere near hard enough. Now I understand
    why you enjoyed the frozen lake so much :->

    /Serieusement/ though, maybe use the race as a "threshold+" run, at something a little quicker than
    1/2 marathon pace?

  5. steve common <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Answer: without a fully-loaded ammunition chamber in running shorts. If an asthmatic co-runner,
    > who's trying to reel you in at the end of a 10k race, can manage to sound erotic to you, then
    > you're obviously getting as little as I am, or were not running anywhere near hard enough. Now I
    > understand why you enjoyed the frozen lake so much :->

    You hit two nails on the head: 1) she *is* asthmatic (and a former national level also-ran at 5000
    meters), and 2) I haven´t been getting much lately: the wife got a new job(*) which makes me a very
    lonely boy(**) and with all this running I don´t have the time to commit adultery(***)!

    (*) About 500km north of here, which is bad news right now but good news, too: there´ll be more snow
    in winter!

    (**) But not for long, I´ll board an airplane in a few hours, and won´t have to return until
    mid-January!

    (***) Jean Baudrillard once called jogging "virtual adultery", which I suppose is true: there´s a
    considerable amount of absence from the spouse and a source of sometimes intense pleasure outside
    the marriage...

    http://www.adamnranson.freeserve.co.uk/Baudrillard.html

    Anders

  6. Matlab User

    Matlab User Guest

    Well, I was busy at school and hence coudn't post my training for the week ending on december 14.

    Golas: building base. Ideally I'd lke to get to 40 mpw, but that seems to be a bit beyond my reach
    at the moment

    Sun 5.0 mi 8:10 mpm Mon 4.6 mi 8:01 mpm Tue 4.4 mi 8:20 mpm Wed 7.1 mi 8:04 mpm Thu 0.0 mi 0:00 mpm
    Fri 4.6 mi 8:08 mpm Sat 0.0 mi 0:00 mpm

    Total 25.7 miles

    -Vimal

  7. Goals: Stay fit and healthy. Next race in January, a 10k. Look for a late spring marathon??

    Mon: Rest Day Tue: 5.45 mi @ 9:42 pace. First run in a week, rested as full week after running
    Tucson Marathon. Wed: Went to opening day of LOTR instead of running!! ;-) Thur: 5.45 mi @ 8:54
    pace. Fri: Rest Day Sat: 12 mi @ 9:09 pace. Nice run today tho' a tad nippy at first. Sun: 5.45 mi @
    9:36 pace.