Training Week Ending December 18, 2005

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

Still building up mileage and getting some much-needed base
in. The last half of the week was in messy, snowy conditions.
Some pretty miserable winds, too. I enjoy it - but it's always
in retrospect. ;-)

M off
T 16km easy
W 22km easy
T 16km easy
F 16km easy fartlek
S 12km easy
S 28km easy

Total - 110km

cheers,
--
David Hirsh, director
www.absolutelyaccurate.com

"Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What happened to Friday (or did you lose that in the emergency ward)?

Oops! Friday was more of the same. Was unplanned from last Sunday's
perspective but I had no intention of running on Friday by the time it
arrived.

Dunno yet exactly what I lost (or gained?) but the before and after
definitely feel very different.

"joe positive" wrote in message
> SwStudio wrote:
>> "joe positive" wrote in message
>>> M: 7mi (9:32), a far cry from Sunday's half-marathon pace :)
>>> T: AM 6.25mi (8:39), PM 3.75mi (8:54)

>> A double workout 2 days after a PB half marathon? Holy
>> ****, you're tough. :)

> yabut both runs that day were way slow, and I had that 9:30-ish trot the
> day
> before. I was pretty recovered by the Tuesday.
>
> Some of us need to run lots and lots just to be mediocre. I hope one day
> be half as fast as you are, on twice your mileage :)

You know you are not mediocre! I think you are a great runner, and
the fact that you train like a maniac (I mean that in a good way ;-))
speaks volumes about how much running means to you.

cheers,
--
David Hirsh, director
www.absolutelyaccurate.com
Southern Ontario's Summer Race Series!

Tuesday - 12/13 - 5.7 mile Run
Thursday - 12/15 - 4.8 mile Run
Saturday - 12/17 - 12.5 mile Run - 1h 49m 58s (Ran on the Silver Comet
Trail in Smyrna, GA. What a great place to run. An old railroad route
converted into trails.)
Sunday - 12/18 - 21.2 mile Run - 3h 18m 53s (Also on the Silver Comet Trail)

For the next 3 weeks it will be 4 - 4.5 mile runs twice during the week,
8 mile runs on Saturday and 10 mile runs on Sunday until Jan. 8 and 9,
then it the Disney Half and Full marathon. I am running both.

John "runningfool" Tackett

[email protected] wrote:

> Sat: 32 "easy" ;-) in Santa Monica mtns in 5:08. 4460' climb, 130
> avg hr. The first 15 miles were easy, the next 12 moderate, last 3
> just wanted to get this thing in the bag.

Looks like you're ready. Is this your last run of this length before the
50-miler?

--
Phil M.

"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote

>> Sat: 32 "easy" ;-) in Santa Monica mtns in 5:08. 4460' climb, 130
>> avg hr. The first 15 miles were easy, the next 12 moderate, last 3
>> just wanted to get this thing in the bag.

> Looks like you're ready. Is this your last run of this length before the
> 50-miler?

Yes. It was a good mental refresher course. I might do a 24 next weekend,
then ramp down to a 14 the weekend before the race. Depends on how this
week goes...

I learn something new every time: I didn't eat breakfast before the 32
miler, and I got really light headed at 21 miles -- my liver ran out of
glycogen, I guess. I ate a cookie and snapped out of it in a couple of
minutes.

27.15 miles, in five days, six sessions. Mostly easy pace with a
couple 8-10 x :20 strides.

Considerably less than I'd prefer. Busy, too little time to run some
mornings or motivation in the cold and long-since-dark and
post-crappy-day-of-work evenings; but more aggravatingly I've got
pretty serious tightness from my right calf up through hams and ITB /
gluteus medius / TFL, probably causally related to forefoot callous on
that side. Caused me to cut a few runs short.

Nearly all my muscule & tendon issues for 2.5 years have been on that
side. Really ought to see a Dr or chiro to see if I have biomechanical
issues related to leg length or alignment or whatever.

mon: walked 60m+
tues: off
wed: bike trainer 20m, walked 50m
thur: x-ski 30m, rollerblade 15m
fri: mtn bike 1:15
sat: incline treadmill hike 60m
sun: hike 60m+

Lame random filling in for running while I rest my legs seasonally and let
my calf/achillies injury heal. I tested the leg a bit with light trail
running today and it's progressively better. I'm happy to do other things
for the rest of this month, but look forward to trail running again.

Goals: escarpment trail run, July.

-Tony

Goals: Marathon on January 5.

Just when things are looking good, and the taper
is kicking in, and I'm feeling fine....

A fleeting moment, a stupid decision, and wham.

Friday's medium-long 25km (16m) run was going well.
A cold morning, so I started with a long top and pants,
which I removed and carefully folded up with my
water bottles on top in the corner of the park. I was gradually
increasing the pace on the grass, and decided to run the
last 6km at Marathon pace on the path. With 1 km to go
I saw that my clothes had been taken. Looking around
I saw a man not too far away with a plastic bag. I
tried scrambling down some rocks to get to him faster,
lost my footing, and twisted my ankle badly. I managed
to get to the guy and retrieve my clothes, and jogged quite
painfully back to the car.

Lots of RICE since then. But still some impressive
swelling, which has since come down mostly (now
72 hours later). Saw an orthopedist yesterday - the
Xray was clear. I can walk OK, although it is
somewhat painful, it is tender all around the ankle,
and I have reasonable mobility there. Last night
I went back to the pool for pool running...

At this stage with 2.5 weeks until the marathon, I am
not overly optimistic, but have not ruled it out. I'll
continue with pool running and biking to keep up the fitness,
(anyway I'm meant to be tapering, right?) and if I can run
a painless 10km with some MP thrown in 4-5 days before
the marathon I will probably give it a shot. Meanwhile I
will do some massage and exercices as much as possible.

For the record:

Mon: 12km easy grass. 30' bike.
Tue: 18km esay grass with 2km MP at the end. 20' bike
Wed: 12km easy grass. 30' bike.
Thu: off
Fri: 24km with 5km MP
Sat: off
Sun: 1hr pool running.

Total: 66km + pool

Anthony. Jerusalem, Israel.

Anthony wrote:

> Goals: Marathon on January 5.
>
> Just when things are looking good, and the taper
> is kicking in, and I'm feeling fine....
>
> A fleeting moment, a stupid decision, and wham.
>
> Friday's medium-long 25km (16m) run was going well.
> A cold morning, so I started with a long top and pants,
> which I removed and carefully folded up with my
> water bottles on top in the corner of the park. I was gradually
> increasing the pace on the grass, and decided to run the
> last 6km at Marathon pace on the path. With 1 km to go
> I saw that my clothes had been taken. Looking around
> I saw a man not too far away with a plastic bag. I
> tried scrambling down some rocks to get to him faster,
> lost my footing, and twisted my ankle badly. I managed
> to get to the guy and retrieve my clothes, and jogged quite
> painfully back to the car.

Anthony, I'm really sorry to hear that. But I think you're doing all the
right things - RICE, pool running (in addition to providing cardio fitness,
the water will massage your ankle some), other x-training. I'm not trying
to sound like a pollyanna, but this probably couldn't have happened at a
better time in your training, since you're tapering anyway. I think you'll
be surprised at how much better the ankle feels a few days from now. But
the hard part is right now, just after the injury when it hurts and you're
wondering if you'll get to the starting line. Hang in there, and please
keep us posted.

Karen

--
live! vicariously!

"joe positive" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Anthony, I'm really sorry to hear that. But I think you're doing all the
> right things - RICE, pool running (in addition to providing cardio
> fitness,
> the water will massage your ankle some), other x-training. I'm not trying
> to sound like a pollyanna, but this probably couldn't have happened at a
> better time in your training, since you're tapering anyway. I think
> you'll
> be surprised at how much better the ankle feels a few days from now. But
> the hard part is right now, just after the injury when it hurts and you're
> wondering if you'll get to the starting line. Hang in there, and please
> keep us posted.

Karen - thanks for the encouragement! I'll be very happy to
be surprised for the better.

Anthony.

"Anthony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> At this stage with 2.5 weeks until the marathon, I am
> not overly optimistic, but have not ruled it out. I'll
> continue with pool running and biking to keep up the fitness,
> (anyway I'm meant to be tapering, right?) and if I can run
> a painless 10km with some MP thrown in 4-5 days before
> the marathon I will probably give it a shot. Meanwhile I
> will do some massage and exercices as much as possible.

There are two schools of thoughts on simple ankle sprains. By simple I
mean just swelling and no verifiable tears. Short story. On my last long
trail training run for the Escapement Trail run, I sprained my ankle as
you did but in the last 100 yards and not chasing a clothes crook. Went
to doc, did the X-ray and exam and walla, just a sprain. He gave me
crutches told me RICE and not to walk unless there was a fire in my
house. I called my friend and race RD to whine about my plight. He said
there are two schools of thought and one was to keep using it. Use ice,
compression and elevation but go out and walk on it. It will feel
strange when you first start because of the extra fluid. When done ice
it. Once the fluid recedes, you can't wait until it's all gone because
that takes months, run on it. Again it will feel squishy but after a few
minutes it seems to feel better.

Three weeks later I ran the 30k race with 10k of elevation and oodles of
roots and rocks. It took me 5 hours rather than the usual 4 but mostly
because I was being very careful. I did tape my ankle and not for
compression reasons but some simple support stirrups, so if my ankle was
twisted by some bad footing, I could not sprain it again. The tape
method was such that you only knew it was there when your ankle was
tweaked.

Like any advice do with it what you want. I'd ice the **** out it many
times a day and take some anti-inflammatory meds and get the majority of
the swelling down. After about 3-4 days I'd go out and walk on it. Stay
flat and of course stay on non ugly footing. The tendon over the ankle
has been stretched and will not appreciate another roll. After a week
started to run it felt better. Continue to ice after running. I don't
know if I would do any speed work but after about two weeks I'll bet it
will feel a lot better and you will go to the dance.

Feel free to disregard.

-DougF

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:q%[email protected]...

> Like any advice do with it what you want. I'd ice the **** out it many
> times a day and take some anti-inflammatory meds and get the majority of
> the swelling down. After about 3-4 days I'd go out and walk on it. Stay
> flat and of course stay on non ugly footing. The tendon over the ankle
> has been stretched and will not appreciate another roll. After a week go
> back to light running and see how it feels. In my case, once I started to
> run it felt better. Continue to ice after running. I don't know if I would
> do any speed work but after about two weeks I'll bet it will feel a lot
> better and you will go to the dance.
>
> Feel free to disregard.

Doug - I appreciate the input. Sounds like very sound advice - walking
is already normal with only a little pain. I am "running" in the pool, and
will hope to get back to some light running next week.

Anthony.

see with drugs and lsd one can be eliminated brotherhood.
so take advise from df an jrh or rh jrh j and many other because all
there millions in reality won' mean zero on miles total forearm. bill
the skirt dysfunctional scots man too.
zero miles for ayer 2005 for white powder found in n.y. hill. great ice
sled race waken' it lsd runners.
beware the 5000 and white powder intotal yars miles 2005.

psycho

biking the year thru and not like years before.

"Anthony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
<snip>
> I saw that my clothes had been taken. Looking around
> I saw a man not too far away with a plastic bag. I
> tried scrambling down some rocks to get to him faster,
> lost my footing, and twisted my ankle badly. I managed
> to get to the guy and retrieve my clothes, and jogged quite
> painfully back to the car.
>
> Lots of RICE since then. But still some impressive
> swelling, which has since come down mostly (now
> 72 hours later). Saw an orthopedist yesterday - the
> Xray was clear. I can walk OK, although it is
> somewhat painful, it is tender all around the ankle,
> and I have reasonable mobility there. Last night
> I went back to the pool for pool running...
>
> At this stage with 2.5 weeks until the marathon, I am
> not overly optimistic, but have not ruled it out. I'll
> continue with pool running and biking to keep up the fitness,
> (anyway I'm meant to be tapering, right?) and if I can run
> a painless 10km with some MP thrown in 4-5 days before
> the marathon I will probably give it a shot. Meanwhile I
> will do some massage and exercices as much as possible.

Horrible luck, Anthony.

Keep doing everything you are doing, and I believe you will
make it in time. Don't worry about getting in anything quality
(or even much running of any kind) between now and the
race. You *have* to keep reminding yourself that the changes
you've made to your aerobic capacity are in the bank at this
point. The marathon is that close.

I sprained my ankle badly, and found as I reached the point
where I wanted to try some test running that wrapping it fairly
tightly to limit that ankle's range of motion, as well as support
it worked well.

All the best of luck.

cheers,
--

Anthony wrote:
> Goals: Marathon on January 5.
>
> Just when things are looking good, and the taper
> is kicking in, and I'm feeling fine....
>
> A fleeting moment, a stupid decision, and wham.
>
> Friday's medium-long 25km (16m) run was going well.
> A cold morning, so I started with a long top and pants,
> which I removed and carefully folded up with my
> water bottles on top in the corner of the park. I was gradually
> increasing the pace on the grass, and decided to run the
> last 6km at Marathon pace on the path. With 1 km to go
> I saw that my clothes had been taken. Looking around
> I saw a man not too far away with a plastic bag. I
> tried scrambling down some rocks to get to him faster,
> lost my footing, and twisted my ankle badly. I managed
> to get to the guy and retrieve my clothes, and jogged quite
> painfully back to the car.
>
> Lots of RICE since then. But still some impressive
> swelling, which has since come down mostly (now
> 72 hours later). Saw an orthopedist yesterday - the
> Xray was clear. I can walk OK, although it is
> somewhat painful, it is tender all around the ankle,
> and I have reasonable mobility there. Last night
> I went back to the pool for pool running...
>
> At this stage with 2.5 weeks until the marathon, I am
> not overly optimistic, but have not ruled it out.

I think you'll be surprised. As others have said, this is a great time
to get injured. Have you heard of the "Zatopek effect?" I know it's a
little tough to take right now. Before Boston I had a forced 1 month
layoff. I ran a total of 7 miles for the month before the marathon. I
didn't even expect to finish the race, but I did, and in a pretty
decent time.

BTW, what's the story with the guy trying to take your clothes? Did he
explain what he was doing?

--
Phil M>

back in action after a taking most of last week off because of a mild
cold. speeds are slower on most runs because of footing...still many
patches of snow and ice, and refrozen run-off.

m 6.58m, flat, on empty, 1:09:23.
t 3.74m, flat, on empty, 35:07.
w 12.7m, flat 3 miles, 3 loops of about 2.2miles, with hills, about 3
miles back...1:55:19.
r 6.58m, flat, on empty, 1:04:01.
f dnr.
s 4.3m, slight hills, with baby jogger, 41:28.
s 9.65m, slight hills, on empty, 1:27:00.

43.5miles.

SwStudio wrote:

> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.
> cheers,

Goals: Ghost Town 38.5 mi Jan 15th, First Grand Prix race of
2006, Jan 29th (10k). Stay healthy and uninjured!

Mon: Rest Day

Tue: 4.0 mi on treadmill. Cold is much better, though still
have the congestion. Increased pace every 1/2 mi, fastest
half was 8:30 pace.

Wed: 5.52 mi @ 10:14 pace. Ran after work, very dark! Had
to slow down a lot on the trail parts, especially after tripping.
(Caught myself before going down completely)

Thurs: 4.5 mi on treadmill. Ran 3 x 8:00 pace (2 mins ea and last
quarter 7:30+ pace. Felt really good.

Fri: Rest Day

Sat: 6.3 mi @ 9:15 pace. Late afternoon run, spent all morning
getting Xmas shopping etc done. So started out already pooped!

Sun: Winterhaven Run Through the Lights 5K. Non-competitive.
And great fun. Stopped twice to sing carols. Afterward was the
Grand Prix awards at the Racquet Club (with food of course), and
I did get 1st for women 40-49. That got me a nice certificate,
a NB running hat, 3 pr NB running socks, a NB water bottle, and
a NB FM radio. Yahooee! And I do need the socks and hat!

Total: 23.42 Yep, need to step it up bigtime next week!

Teresa in AZ

> Anthony wrote:
>
>Goals: Marathon on January 5.
>A fleeting moment, a stupid decision, and wham.
>Friday's medium-long 25km (16m) run was going well
>A cold morning, so I started with a long top and pants,
>which I removed and carefully folded up with my
>water bottles on top in the corner of the park. I was gradually
>increasing the pace on the grass, and decided to run the
>last 6km at Marathon pace on the path. With 1 km to go
>I saw that my clothes had been taken. Looking around
>I saw a man not too far away with a plastic bag. I
>tried scrambling down some rocks to get to him faster,
>lost my footing, and twisted my ankle badly. I managed
>to get to the guy and retrieve my clothes, and jogged quite
>painfully back to the car.

OWWW! So sorry to hear about your ankle!! I'm glad the
xray is clear. Best of luck to you, I'll cross my fingers
it's one of those quick ones. But sounds like you're doing all
the right things. Keep us posted...

Teresa in AZ

SwStudio wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

day km mi time time/km time/mi type feel
Tue 11.5 7.1 00h56' 4'54" 7:54 E :-(
Wed 16.5 10.3 01h13' 4'26" 7:09 E :)
Thu 11.5 7.1 00h55' 4'48" 7:44 REC :)
Fri 6 3.7 00h30' 5'09" 8:17 REC :-(
Sun 20 12.4 01h32' 4'36" 7:25 E :)
week 50 : 66 km 41 mi 05h08'
last 8 weeks' average : 75 km 47 mi 05h48'
year : 2331 km 1449 mi 186h49'

a recovery week, with 2 bad days probably due to some fatigue from last
week's illness _and_ last 3 months with higher-than-usual mileage for
me... I was probably on the edge od overtraining...

Happy that I finally managed to run well on sunday morning, with some
really good sensations, although I started the run feeling heavy.

Goal is to get back to 80+km this week if my body responds well and up
to 90km in january to start a 14weeks training plan towards an april
marathon

BTW Santa Claus should bring me a brand new HRM, so I'll have a new tool
to check my training ;op

goals : 36' 10k on feb. 5
2h55 marathon on apr. 9 (paris hopefully, still no news...)