Training Week Ending December 18, 2005

"Teresa Bippert-Plymate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Sun: Winterhaven Run Through the Lights 5K. Non-competitive.
> And great fun. Stopped twice to sing carols. Afterward was the
> Grand Prix awards at the Racquet Club (with food of course), and
> I did get 1st for women 40-49. That got me a nice certificate,
> a NB running hat, 3 pr NB running socks, a NB water bottle, and
> a NB FM radio. Yahooee! And I do need the socks and hat!

Holy ****, I've never won that much stuff at one race.
Sweet deal!

cheers,
--
David Hirsh, director
www.absolutelyaccurate.com

Anthony wrote:
> Goals: Marathon on January 5.
>
> Just when things are looking good, and the taper
> is kicking in, and I'm feeling fine....
>
> A fleeting moment, a stupid decision, and wham.

Ouch! Anthony, so sorry. Real bummer. I can't add anything to what
others have already said. Maybe some good will come out of enforced taper?

Dot

--
"You’ll never hear me say I beat the Peak. I’ve run up there pretty
fast, and that mountain doesn’t care. I’ll never conquer the Peak." -

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Horrible luck, Anthony.
>
> Keep doing everything you are doing, and I believe you will
> make it in time. Don't worry about getting in anything quality
> (or even much running of any kind) between now and the
> race. You *have* to keep reminding yourself that the changes
> you've made to your aerobic capacity are in the bank at this
> point. The marathon is that close.
>
> I sprained my ankle badly, and found as I reached the point
> where I wanted to try some test running that wrapping it fairly
> tightly to limit that ankle's range of motion, as well as support
> it worked well.

Thanks David. I hadn't planned to tape it, but may try it out if it
feels weak. I'm not planning to do any running on uneven surfaces though.

Anthony.

"Teresa Bippert-Plymate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> OWWW! So sorry to hear about your ankle!! I'm glad the
> xray is clear. Best of luck to you, I'll cross my fingers
> it's one of those quick ones. But sounds like you're doing all
> the right things. Keep us posted...

Thanks Teresa!

"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I think you'll be surprised. As others have said, this is a great time
> to get injured. Have you heard of the "Zatopek effect?" I know it's a
> little tough to take right now. Before Boston I had a forced 1 month
> layoff. I ran a total of 7 miles for the month before the marathon. I
> didn't even expect to finish the race, but I did, and in a pretty
> decent time.

What was the story with Zatopek? Got injured, missed training and
then ran some great races? I've heard of that effect with several
elite runners.

Yeah - I remember that. Fitness wise I think I'll be OK. With all the
preparation, and now I'm getting in a pool running session every day.
Just a question of whether the ankle/foot is ready...

> BTW, what's the story with the guy trying to take your clothes? Did he
> explain what he was doing?

He claimed that it looked like they were thrown out, and he was collecting
for the needy.
Actually they were neatly folded, with a few water bottles on top...

Anthony.

"Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...

> Ouch! Anthony, so sorry. Real bummer. I can't add anything to what others
> have already said. Maybe some good will come out of enforced taper?

Thanks Dot. I would prefer my regular "running" taper, but at least
I'm not missing too many serious workouts or long runs.

Anthony.

Anthony wrote:

> What was the story with Zatopek? Got injured, missed training and
> then ran some great races? I've heard of that effect with several
> elite runners.

The story with the famous "Zatopek phenomenon" (i.e. forced taper) is
that the "Human Locomotive" got ill two weeks before the 1950 European
Championships in Brussels and ended up in hospital from which he was
released two days before the 10,000m race: he won it as he did the
5,000m race a few days later.

(OTOH he had been in great racing shape and run a new 10,000m WR in
Turku about a week before got ill.)

Abebe Bikila is often mentioned in this context, too: he was
hospitalized for an appendix operation shortly before his marathon
victory in Tokyo 1964.

> Yeah - I remember that. Fitness wise I think I'll be OK. With all the
> preparation, and now I'm getting in a pool running session every day.
> Just a question of whether the ankle/foot is ready...

I would be slightly optimistic about the ankle if there wasn't any
bruising. If the swelling has completely subsided and you can already
tolerate exercising it (with 15-20min of conscientous icing
afterwards), the chances are - read: there is some anecdotal evidence
- that it will be the least of your worries during the marathon. It
would still IMHO be a good idea to have a professional tape it for the
race.

What I see as the darkest cloud on the horizon could be called the
"Lance phenomenon": if you cannot get a certain amount of running done,
your leg muscles (usually calves or quads) may become utterly
unprepared to cope with the repeated impacts for the entire distance.
OTOH a surprisingly small amount can be quite sufficient: for instance
a 3-5x 400-500m with long rests a couple of times could be enough to
prevent a rebellion.

FWIW if I were in your shoes, I'd even be willing to take a small risk
and substitute that 10km run with a session on a stationary bike; if
the ankle can stand the above interval sessions, there's no need to
test it any further (and 10km would be too short anyway). OTOH I would
be quite prepared to quit - while you may prefer to deny yourself that
option.

Anders

"anders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anthony wrote:
>
> The story with the famous "Zatopek phenomenon" (i.e. forced taper) is
> that the "Human Locomotive" got ill two weeks before the 1950 European
> Championships in Brussels and ended up in hospital from which he was
> released two days before the 10,000m race: he won it as he did the
> 5,000m race a few days later.

Thanks. I'll settle for less than a win ;-)

> I would be slightly optimistic about the ankle if there wasn't any
> bruising. If the swelling has completely subsided and you can already
> tolerate exercising it (with 15-20min of conscientous icing
> afterwards), the chances are - read: there is some anecdotal evidence
> - that it will be the least of your worries during the marathon. It
> would still IMHO be a good idea to have a professional tape it for the
> race.

I'll look into the taping options if I decide to run. There is still some
swelling
but no bruising. I can tolerate all the dosiflexion/ flexion and rotations
of
the foot. Walking is normal but can feel a little pain. I have run a few
steps
without any worse pain, but don't want to return to running properly
until the swelling has gone and the pain has eased.

> What I see as the darkest cloud on the horizon could be called the
> "Lance phenomenon": if you cannot get a certain amount of running done,
> your leg muscles (usually calves or quads) may become utterly
> unprepared to cope with the repeated impacts for the entire distance.
> OTOH a surprisingly small amount can be quite sufficient: for instance
> a 3-5x 400-500m with long rests a couple of times could be enough to
> prevent a rebellion.

Interesting...

> FWIW if I were in your shoes, I'd even be willing to take a small risk
> and substitute that 10km run with a session on a stationary bike; if
> the ankle can stand the above interval sessions, there's no need to
> test it any further (and 10km would be too short anyway). OTOH I would
> be quite prepared to quit - while you may prefer to deny yourself that
> option.

Not sure what you mean here - quit the 10km run or the race?

Thanks for all the input.

Anthony.

Anthony wrote:

> > FWIW if I were in your shoes, I'd even be willing to take a small risk
> > and substitute that 10km run with a session on a stationary bike; if
> > the ankle can stand the above interval sessions, there's no need to
> > test it any further (and 10km would be too short anyway). OTOH I would
> > be quite prepared to quit - while you may prefer to deny yourself that
> > option.

> Not sure what you mean here - quit the 10km run or the race?

The marathon: I know that for some people it is a point of honour or a
matter of principle or whatever that they will finish a marathon if
they've started it. (To me it would be sheer folly or smack of a kind
of vanity to continue beyond a point of no point in continuing, but
hey, human diversity is a wonderful thing.)

If you are one of them, I can understand that you will want a continous
test run before you commit yourself by putting a bib on. The problem,
as I see it, is that your ankle may hold beautifully (and the rest of
your legs will not mutiny) for that10km run and yet not be up to the
task of the 42.195km race (in which case you are in for an hour and a
half that will seem longer than any you've ever spent shopping with
your wife).

But if you aren't, you are free to quit without too much soul-searching
if the ankle refuses to co-operate. Therefore you do not really need
that sense of somewhat greater (but still possibly false) certainty and
IMHO you can perfectly well spare the ankle from that 10km run: one
continous run won't make it any stronger and cycling (and aquarunning)
is close enough for maintenance (and a pre-carboiloading workout, if
one uses it as such).

OTOH one continous 10km run at that point shouldn't aggravate the
injury, either, and you can stick to your plan of a test run - and use
the remaining days to decide which group of marathoners you belong to,
if you aren't sure of it:)

Anders

Mon 7.2 miles 10:49/mile HR=140±5 (hills)
Tue 3.5 miles 10:57/mile HR=140±5 (flat)
Wed 3.5 miles 10:54/mile HR=140±5 (flat)
Thu 0
Fri 5 miles 10:32/mile HR=140±5 (hills)
Sat 0
Sun 6.2 miles 9:54/mile overall, first 3 miles
at HR=140±5, mile 4 at 9:04 (flat)

Total: 25.4 miles.

Coming off being sick last week. Tried an experiment in
"forced recovery" using strict attention to the heartrate
monitor to keep it easy. Maffetone (180-age) would give me
132 heartbeats per minute on the slow end. More sophisticated
formula somebody here used was (if I recall correctly)

Resting_HR + n% (Max_HR - Resting_HR) = Target_HR

My minimum & maximum observed lately are 55 and 188.

55 + 60% (188 - 55) = 134.8
55 + 70% (188 - 55) = 148.1

Decided to set the ancient Polar HRM range at 135, 145.

This felt really really slow. At least it kept me from
having to quit due to coughing. 60 to 70 percent of HRR
was "aerobically" relaxing, but a faster (to me) pace
around 75 to 80 percent (HR 150 to 155 bpm and more like
9:30/mile) actually seems more relaxing to the legs. On
some uphills 140bpm is such a slow jog that walking gait
is more efficient. I can't believe Dr. Maffetone thinks
I should stay at this pace for months.
--
Daniel
[email protected]

Well, it was a 9-race series that got all that. They never say
what the prizes are so I was happy they were useful ones!

Teresa in AZ

"Anthony" <[email protected]> wrote:

> With 1 km to go
>I saw that my clothes had been taken. Looking around
>I saw a man not too far away with a plastic bag. I
>tried scrambling down some rocks to get to him faster,
>lost my footing, and twisted my ankle badly.

At least you got the clothes back without getting stabbed or anything but
what shitty bad luck.

It's annoying enough to get injured just before a long-term target when
it's you're own fault, but when it's caused by a third-party, it's enough
to make you sign up with the pro-hanging, drawing and quartering lobby...

steve common wrote:

> It's annoying enough to get injured just before a long-term target when
> it's you're own fault, but when it's caused by a third-party, it's enough
> to make you sign up with the pro-hanging, drawing and quartering lobby...

Well, count me in as a bleeding heart liberal when it comes to these
kind of "free game"-collectors (who, unlike us, inhabitate the margins
of society and whose mental processes often differ slightly from ours)
- I'd reserve capital punishment for certain dog- and horse-owners.

Anders (who has discovered that dog leashes and piles of horse manure
can be practically invisible in semi-darkness)