Training Week Ending December 21, 2003

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Swstudio, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    ** note: the "Training Year" thread will be posted next weekend - get ready!

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

    Tags:

  2. In article <k%[email protected]>, SwStudio wrote:
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
    >
    > ** note: the "Training Year" thread will be posted next weekend - get ready!

    Mon 8.6 miles about 8:00 pace Tue 5.8 miles about 7:00 pace Wed 4.6 miles on the mill up inclines
    Thu 5 miles 250m repeats Fri rest Sat 4 mile race (PR at 24:16 with - splits, report to follow)
    Sun 10 miles

    Total 38 miles

  3. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Sun 8 Mon DNR Tue 4 Wed 6 Thu 4 Fri DNR Sat 4 Tot 26

    Goals: Steady increase in MPW and LSD. Backing off every 4th week. Weight steadily coming off. 245
    in June, now 187. Shooting for 175 by mid February. Still dreaming about an early Spring 10K.

    We'll be going to Chicago for Christmas week. I've arranged my running schedule so that this coming
    week will be a recovery week. It looks like the weather will be OK, except for next Tuesday. The
    weather report says "An icy mix changing to snow." However, it won't be terribly cold.

    -Phil

  4. The Messiah

    The Messiah Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message > > ** note: the "Training Year" thread will be posted next
    > > weekend - get ready!

    Oh peachy! What a thrill! I'm just cuming in my pants at the thought of it!

  5. Colm

    Colm Guest

    Goal: Connemarathon 28th March

    Mon: 8 miles(0:59) Tue: 5.5 miles incl. 2 mile xc race (00:14) Wed: 5 miles (0:44) Thurs: 8 miles
    (1:03) Fri: 8 miles (1:01) Sat: Rest Sun: 12.5 miles (1:39)

    Total: 47 miles

    Colm

    SwStudio wrote:
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
    >
    > ** note: the "Training Year" thread will be posted next weekend - get ready!
    >

    > cheers,

  6. Brian Wakem

    Brian Wakem Guest

    Goal: Top 40 in Hampshire XC Champs - Jan 3rd
    Goal: Ramp up mileage to ? per week
    Longer term: Sub 1:14 half in Feb/March

    Monday: pm) 6.05 miles - easy

    Tuesday: am) 3.65 miles - easy pm) 5.85 miles in total, 10 x ~275m hill reps w/dh jog rec - hard

    Wednesday: am) 4 miles - easy pm) 9 miles - easy/medium

    Thursday: pm) 8 miles, fartlek inc 5x3min w/3min - hard

    Friday: pm) 9.2 miles, hilly - easy/medium

    Saturday: am) 6 miles in total, 16 x ~375m w/60sec rec - hard

    Sunday: am) 12.2 miles, hilly - medium

    Total run: 64 miles

    --
    Brian Wakem

  7. Matlab User

    Matlab User Guest

    Goal(s): Build towards running 40 miles per week

    Mon 4.0 mi easy Tue 4.0 mi easy Wed 0.0 mi did not run Thu 5.8 mi easy Fri 4.0 mi easy Sat 7.0 mi
    hard Sun 6.6 mi mountain trails easy

    Total: 31.4 miles

    Notes:1) All the easy runs were run at 9 mpm pace.

    2) The pace for the hard run was 7:58 mpm.

    3) I covered the trail at a real easy pace, more like run/walk rather than run at a decent pace.
    This was my first trail run, so I can only improve.

    Overall, not a bad week in terms of mileage. However, I need to insure that my training has enough
    hard runs so that I can improve my pace.

    -Vimal

  8. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Matlab User wrote:

    > Goal(s): Build towards running 40 miles per week
    >
    > Mon 4.0 mi easy Tue 4.0 mi easy Wed 0.0 mi did not run Thu 5.8 mi easy Fri 4.0 mi easy Sat 7.0 mi
    > hard Sun 6.6 mi mountain trails easy
    >
    > Total: 31.4 miles
    >
    > Notes:1) All the easy runs were run at 9 mpm pace.
    >
    > 2) The pace for the hard run was 7:58 mpm.
    >
    > 3) I covered the trail at a real easy pace, more like run/walk rather than run at a decent pace.
    > This was my first trail run, so I can only improve.

    Just a thought. Trail runs, esp. in the mountains, are intended to be enjoyed :) Seriously, you
    might be better running your trails by effort, rather than pace and emphasize time on the run
    rather than distance. The footing, curves, surface, etc. will all combine to give you a slower pace
    for the same effort level. And that's not counting the hills. For example, I'm slow, and there's
    one twisty single track that I can't run at normal effort level because of all the twists (more
    like a small opening between trees) - or my inexperience at dealing with them. Tree collisions are
    definitely an issue.

    If you had both feet in air simultaneuously, then you were running or jumping. If you alternate that
    with walking, then it is run/walk, but these refer to styles, not paces. Run / walking is a
    legitimate strategy for longer races or hilly ones because of the energy efficiency. Elites may be
    able to run everything, but most mortals use some walking breaks to speed things up.

    > Overall, not a bad week in terms of mileage. However, I need to insure that my training has enough
    > hard runs so that I can improve my pace.

    Another thought. You might want to be careful about how much "hard" you do in a week and/or how you
    do them. Depending upon the amount of elevation change on your mountain trail, this could be
    considered a "hill" run and hence hard also and was right after another hard run. But maybe your
    trail was a traverse, rather than up/down, so it was an easy run. Dunno.

    Just some thoughts.

    At any rate, enjoy your trail runs :)

    Dot

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Matlab User wrote:

    > 3) I covered the trail at a real easy pace, more like run/walk rather than run at a decent pace.
    > This was my first trail run, so I can only improve.

    Running up steep hills is very hard work. Fr example, on a 10% grade, 9:00 minutes per mile is
    comparable effort to 5:40 minutes/mile on a flat surface.

    If the hills are very steep enough, you probably will have to do some walking.

    > Overall, not a bad week in terms of mileage. However, I need to insure that my training has enough
    > hard runs so that I can improve my pace.

    No you don't. Consistency trumps speed every time.

    Once you're happy with your milage, consider adding a tempo run each week. The tempo run could be
    performed as a 20 minute segment in the middle of a 6 mile training run (use the other miles as
    warmup/cooldown). The 20 minute segment should be slightly slower than 10k pace.

    Don't run too hard on your long training runs. It's tiring, counterproductive, and the run is too
    long to maintain a good level of intensity.

    Cheers,

  10. Joe Positive

    Joe Positive Guest

    Goals: continue marathon training, maintain the ability to recover
    from whatever I do to myself (races, speedwork, etc), avoid injury.
    Upcoming races: 5-miler Dec 27, 15K Jan 24, marathon Feb 22.

    M: 6.2mi (9:42)
    N: 7.2mi (9:16)
    O: 7mi track night incl 1x1600, 1x1200, 2x800, 2x400, wu/cd
    P: 8.2mi (9:32)
    Q: dnr Sa: 7.1mi (7:57) Su: 21mi (9:01)

    Total: 56.7 miles

    The first part of the week was dedicated to recovering from last Sunday's half-marathon.

    Today was the first time I've ever run over 20 miles (longest run had been 18.5). I'm pretty tired
    and a little sore, but it was good to get that out of the way.

    Good week all

    Karen

  11. Lyndon

    Lyndon Guest

    >Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Peak 1:
    2/21 Holiday Inn Classic (Reno NV) 55m
    3/6 Long Beach Relays 100m
    4/13 Ben Brown Invitational 100m

    Peak 2:
    5/2 Steve Scott Invitational 800m
    6/8 Sacramento Open 800m
    7/5 So Cal USATF Championships 800m

    Sat 1M wu, 3000m (13:47)

    Sun weights: Bench [email protected], 2 min rest Isolation Curls [email protected], 1 min rest Upright rows [email protected], 1
    min rest Hamstring curls (per leg) [email protected]

    Mon off

    Tue 1M wu, 3000m (12:33)

    Wed weights, as Sunday, but without hamstring curls

    Thu 1M wu, 4X175m hills (38, 36, 42, 46), 3 min rest

    Fri off

    Sat weights, as Sunday

    This is my first week back running after a 2 month break. The PF heel is not quite 100% yet, so
    holding back considerably on the volume. I normally do (2) 30-60 min steady state runs (typically
    4-8 miles each) plus 1 hill session per week in general prep, and try to get my steady state pace to
    6 min/mile or a little faster by the end of this phase--would seem to be well ahead of schedule for
    this, need 11:15 or faster for 3000 @ 80-85% MHR.

    Prior to last week, I had been using a HIT cycling program on weight days to try to maintain aerobic
    fitness (MacDougall JD, J Appl Physiol 84: 2138-2142,
    8). This was a session of 4-8 30 sec sprints (400 watts for me) on a exercise bike with 3 minute
    recoveries (25 watts). I still have a week or so to go with real running to recover plasma volume,
    but the approach seems to work quite well, at least for off-season "training."

    The hill session was a shock--a very large PR. This is a pretty steep hill, 20% grade or so. My time
    for 175m on this hill is normally the same as for 300m on a track, so the second hill repeat would
    imply 49 sec 400 speed. I've upped my strength levels a lot this fall, and it would appear that
    strength matters here. I've never had 49 second 400 speed before, and if I really can pop a 36 sec
    300 in January, my goals for the year (2004) will change considerably.

    Lyndon

    "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

  12. The Messiah

    The Messiah Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Running up steep hills is very hard work.

    Not that he'd know, he just knows about his incline on his cute lil treadmill.

  13. Goal Six Foot Track in mid-March

    Sun tennis Mon 9km 4:50/km Mon 9km 4:50/km Tue 11km 4:40/km Wed 9km 4:45/km Wed 9km 4:45/km Thu 11km
    4:40/km Thu 9km 4:40/km Thu 9km 4:50/km Fri 9km 5:15/km - hot (36C) Fri 9km 5:10/km - hot (36C) Sat
    33km 5:20/km - hilly, some on trail

    Total 127km

    Current goal is just plenty of kms. Christmas parties & drinks don't go well with anything
    more serious.

    Felt reasonable comfortable in friday's heat by keeping my heart rate at about "marathon effort"
    level. So I now have a theory that HRMs are good for running in hot conditions.

    Andrew

  14. In article <[email protected]>, Andrew Taylor wrote:

    > Goal Six Foot Track in mid-March
    >
    > Sun tennis Mon 9km 4:50/km Mon 9km 4:50/km Tue 11km 4:40/km Wed 9km 4:45/km Wed 9km 4:45/km Thu
    > 11km 4:40/km Thu 9km 4:40/km Thu 9km 4:50/km Fri 9km 5:15/km - hot (36C) Fri 9km 5:10/km - hot
    > (36C) Sat 33km 5:20/km - hilly, some on trail
    >
    > Total 127km
    >
    > Current goal is just plenty of kms. Christmas parties & drinks don't go well with anything more
    > serious.

    Such as plenty of miles (-;

    Cheers,

  15. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Marathon on Jan 8

    I'm currently working through some aches and pains at the top of my right leg. Was very sore after
    Monday's run, so took 3 days off. Icing and stretching. Felt better on subsequent runs, but still
    worrying with
    2.5 weeks to go to race day. So, the 1st week of the taper was a lot less km than planned.

    Mon: 11k easy/mod Tue: off Wed: off Thu: off Fri: 16k inc 7k at Marathon Pace (4:10/k - 6:42/mile)
    Sat: 11.5k easy Sun: 11.5k 3.5k easy, 4k @ 5:00/k, 2k @ 4:30/k, 2k @5:00/k

    Total: 50km (31 miles)

    Anthony. Jerusalem, Israel.

  16. Gary Speed

    Gary Speed Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Andrew Taylor wrote:
    > >
    > > Goal Six Foot Track in mid-March
    > >
    > > Sun tennis Mon 9km 4:50/km Mon 9km 4:50/km Tue 11km 4:40/km Wed 9km 4:45/km Wed 9km 4:45/km Thu
    > > 11km 4:40/km Thu 9km 4:40/km Thu 9km 4:50/km Fri 9km 5:15/km - hot (36C) Fri 9km 5:10/km - hot
    > > (36C) Sat 33km 5:20/km - hilly, some on trail

    All on his cute but dainty, treadmill. What a hero!

  17. ultrajohn1

    ultrajohn1 Guest

    97

    poor santa he only cum's once a year

  18. jhallum

    jhallum Guest

    SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
    >
    > ** note: the "Training Year" thread will be posted next weekend - get ready!

    Goals: Enjoyment, relaxation

    Mon--5.30mi 42:35 Tue-off, all day class Wed-off, all day class Thu-5.45mi 42:50 Fri-7.00mi 57:44
    Sat-off Sun-10.25 mi 1:23:06

    total=28.0 mi

    Gotta relearn to take it easy on the longer runs. My long run on Sunday was way too fast compared to
    the run on Friday. I did pass the 1500 mile mark on Sunday, though, first time ever.

    -jeremy

    --
    +================================================================+
    Jeremy Hallum, System Manager , Astronomy, University of Michigan

  19. Aw

    Aw Guest

    Base training for spring/summer triathlon season.

    Build Week
    M: dnr
    N: 7.6 miles - easy brick (immediate run after a bike workout)
    O: 10.0 - 6 easy, 4 tempo
    P: 7.6 - easy
    Q: 5.1 - easy brick
    R: dnr
    S: 16.0 - easy

    Total run: 46.3 (Swim 17.5k, Bike 151 miles)

  20. Gary Speed

    Gary Speed Guest

    > 97
    >
    > poor santa he only cum's once a year

    It's no wonder poor santa only cums once a year with a number like "97". He needs "69" to cum.