Training Week Ending February 22, 2004

I have not done a whole lot of running, but I'll use this thread for two short race reports. A 5k
and a 4x400 relay.

I ran a bit Thursday night to try and get ready for the last indoor 5k of the season. The running
was half way up a quarter mile hill, but done twice, so it was a quarter mile total. It might not
have helped much, but it was fun.

While running the 5k yesterday, I only had one object in mind. That was to beat a person that beat
me two weeks ago. BTW two week ago, he was 22:58 I was 23:02.

I stayed real close to him. I would speed up when he sped up, slow down when he slowed down.

It was pretty easy to stay with him this week because he was running most his laps in 57 seconds
instead of the 55 he did two weeks earlier.

On the last lap, I wanted to pass him as soon as I could but he sped up on
me.

He claims I was around him before the end of the last turn. That might have been true. All I
know is after I passed him, I laid into it and made sure he would not pass me back. My last lap
was 42 seconds.

My time is listed as 23:17.10 his was 23:18.70.

My HRM said I hit 208 crossing the finish line. A 207 is the highest I've seen on a 5k before, but I
think that is because I have not run a lot.

A few hours later, I volunteered to run one leg of a 4x400 relay. Our team had 2 males and
2 females.

My legs were still messed up from running the 5000 earlier so I tried and tried to get ready for it.

I was the first runner and our main goal was just beat the young girls.

I could not believe it, I was in lane 4, a young girl was in lane 3 and she passed me before the end
of the first turn. She even started laughing about
mf.

I made it back by her by the end of the second turn and someone snapped a photo of us shortly after
that. The photo made her look further back than I thought she was.

Our unofficial timekeeper had me down for a 32.50 first lap and a 37.26 second lap. FYI as a team we
broke 5 minutes.

That means I tied my fastest 400 of 69 seconds that I ran about 2 years ago.

The young girl that passed me, for a bit, ran a 73 second quarter, so she was not far behind me at
the end of our run.

After the race, I went over and congratulated her and she was all smiles.

I wonder if I could have run a 34 and a 34 if she had not pushed me so hard. ;-)

Since all the teams were in different categories, we all took home 1st place trophies.

It was a lot of fun and I was happy to wait around for it. Plus I got to show the trophy off today.

Thanks, Roger 2k

>>Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

Kind of a strange week.

Goals: HAT 50k Mar 27, Bull Run 50 mile April 17

Mon: 19 miles about 3:30 with 4k of up and down Tues: 0 Couldn't get out to run Wed: 4 tempo run.
Starting to add in some speed Thurs: 5 easy Fri: 0 Always off day before long run Sat: 18 miles
about 3:20 with lots of hills Sun 4 easy day, felt good

Total 50 - odd collection of miles this week

SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
>Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

Goals: Continue to build base; think generally about Spring racing.

M: running, 5M, easy (39:02), unexpectedly felt quite stiff and sore. Moderate weights.
N: running, 7M, comfortable at 7:47 pace (54:02), felt much better than yesterday. Light
weights (arms).
O: running, 5M, forced myself to slow down (40:15), felt fine.
P: serious weights (concentration on chest/arms).
Q: running, 7M, comfortable at 7:41 pace (53:27), felt great.
R: rest day.
S: running, 5K time trial on treadmill: 20:29 at 1% grade. Felt very good indeed and was surprised I
was so strong; could have been faster at the start. Total: 5M total mileage: 29M

Have been trying to be conscientious about training; glad the mileage is creeping up, but trying not
to run to hard on days that should be "off". Finally did a real test today, a 5K time trial, and was
quite pleased to finish in 20:29, faster than I expected. Now thinking that some ambitious goal, say
of a 40:00 10K by the late Spring, might not be unachieveable with good planning.

Jesse Sheidlower

"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "DrLith" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Well--I blew both of my goals in the 10-miler (under 2 hours, don't finish last). I think around
> > 2 miles out when I realized I wasn't going to make goal 1, is also when I lost is on the 2nd
> > one, otherwise I probably would have had more mental toughness to duke it out with the other 3-4
> > folks at the back of the pack with me. If I'd been able to get in more 10-12 mile runs in the
> > past 2 months I would have made it, I think, but that just wasn't in the schedule.
>
> You got that right. You really need to get used to running that distance during training.
> Hopefully you're not still doing your long runs around the Lake of Woe ;-).

I'm touched you've been paying attention! No, I'm not doing the lake of woe--I've been doing a 3/4
mi route around the apartment complex at night during the week, and exchanged sunday morning 4-mi
trail runs while the kids are at jr. church for an 8 mile road run. I've got exactly 1 hr 45 minutes
from when the big blue bus leaves until when the big blue bus comes back. Maybe I need to find them
a longer-winded preacher? The 3/4 mi loop is actually a nice size for monitoring my pace and
starting to do speedwork. I don't know exactly how long it is with great precision, but I can
compare from lap to lap and workout to workout.

> Were you following a particular training plan for the 10 miler? Personally, I like to go a little
> over, maybe 3 or 4 12- milers from 2 months to 2 weeks before the race. But of course, YMMV.

That's the direction I was heading toward up until when the dude-friend moved out in January. For
the half-marathon in the fall, if the domestic situation doesn't improve, I'm gonna just plan on
taking a half day off each week from work for the 10-12 weeks before the race. I've got 40 days of
annual leave each year, so I can afford to do that. It's a tough trail race (women only), with
winning times at around 1:50 and median times up around 3 hrs. Given that, I'll probably pick a full
marathon training plan that makes sense to me.

> > I was also ticked off that there were no mile markers, no

> > of water left when the 2 hr finishers got in.
>
> That stinks. These are the people that really need that. Out running for 2 hours and nothing to
> show for it.

At least my son saved me half a donut and a quarter of a bagel. :)

> The good thing is that you know what went wrong and how to fix it. If you think you are carrying
> 30 lbs of extra weight, losing that would certainly help your running. Are you doing anything to
> lose weight, other than running?

I'm actually carrying about 60 extra lbs still, mostly below the waist. The plan is to lose the
remainer over the course of the next two years through plenty of exercise and minor dietary
modifications of the "lifestyle" variety. Ice cream a few nights a week instead of every night, more
whole grains and vegetables, no sugar in the coffee--that sort of thing. I've lost 30 lbs in the
past two years with very little effort, and the plan this year is "a little more of the same": 30
mpw instead of 15, work harder at curbing the afternoon snack attack, etc. Unlike 95% of the women
in the U.S., I've never been "on a diet," and I don't think I can start now. It's just not the way
my mind works. I'm not in a big hurry. I'm gonna be FABulous when I'm 40! :p~

> -Phil

Thanks!

"Roger 2k" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I have not done a whole lot of running, but I'll use this thread for two short race reports. A 5k
> and a 4x400 relay.

Nice to see you around again, Roger.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

If by first you mean 1st marathon ever then no, I did 4 in a year way back in 94-95. As far as
mileage, I think I'm ok as long as I don't go over 45 mpw, I figure as long as I'm not going fast it
shouldn't be to much stress. Although I've only been running again since October, I think I built
somewhat of a base by walking 5-6 miles everyday for 7 months before that. I may end up taking
another day off to crosstrain but I am kind of anal about thinking I'll gain weight if I don't do at
least 40 mpw. As I am writing this I realize that I never had a plan before. I was just always
training for a marathon so maybe that's why 40 mpw seems normal to
me. The 14 mile run is simply so I have no problem with the 1/2 marathon in May, plus the long run
is my most enjoyable run of the week. Looking back I think I had a max of 60 mpw in the past
training (22 mile long run and a 12-14 mile mid long run). The main thing I need to do is
overcome the fear of gaining the weight back cause I'm still in the diet mindset and I need to
get to the maintaining phase.

news:[email protected]...

In article <[email protected]>, SwStudio wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

M 6 T 8.6 W 8.5 3xmile 6:41/6:18/6:17 T 10.3 F 75min xtrainin S 6.9 4x1200 intervals in about 4:20 /
45min xtraining S 12
52.3 total

That was a tough week. I'm Going back to 2-a-days next week.

Cheers,

In article <%[email protected]>, Mark Mauro wrote:
> If by first you mean 1st marathon ever then no, I did 4 in a year way back in 94-95. As far as
> mileage, I think I'm ok as long as I don't go over 45 mpw, I figure as long as I'm not going fast
> it shouldn't be to much stress. Although I've only been running again since October, I think I
> built somewhat of a base by walking 5-6 miles everyday for 7 months before that.

How many miles did you run the last few months (Nov, Dec, Jan, first 3 weeks of Feb ?) If you've
been maintaining 40mpw or more for 3 months+ and you're feeling fine, then that milage is
probably OK.

Cheers,

>Su: 26.2 mi (Florida Gulf Beaches Marathon; 3:35:13; 1st female Masters, 6th female
>overall I think)

Woo hoo!!!!!!!!

--
Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

> Su: 26.2 mi (Florida Gulf Beaches Marathon; 3:35:13; 1st female Masters, 6th female overall
> I think)
>
>> Too tired to write any kind of race report. I didn't do quite as
well as
> I'd hoped, but I'm still pretty happy. Count me in for the Boston 2005 rec.running party.

Congrats on the result and fighting through the ITB problems in the leadup.

If I remember correctly it's your 1st marathon, and as much as you read and hear from others,
*nothing* compares to learning about running a marathon to actually running it. So Boston 2005 will
be a different experience...

Enjoy the rest and recovery,

Anthony.

SwStudio wrote in message ...
>"Roger 2k" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> I have not done a whole lot of running, but I'll use this thread for two short race reports. A 5k
>> and a 4x400 relay.
>

>Nice to see you around again, Roger.
>
>cheers,
>--
>David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

Thanks David.

I plan on running a 4 miler on February 29th. I have already worn the shirt for it, so I guess I
have to make it now. ;-)

BTW it really throws people off when you wear a shirt for a race that has not happened yet. They
have to look twice.

Roger

SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

Mon- 6.0mi (@8:05/mi) Tue- Intramural Relays track meet. 800 in 2:30, 2x400 in 76, 67. (I've
forgotten what running fast is like!) 3mi total. Team was 2nd out of two teams, we placed second in
every relay. Wed- off (sore!) Thu- 5.25 (@8:12/mi) Fri- 7.40 (@8:11/mi) Sat- off Sun- approximation
of a half marathon time trial in 1:39:03. Supposed to be 13 @ marathon pace. It didn't turn out that
way. 1/2 mile cooldown.

total: 35.25 mi

Goals: Martian half-marathon (barring an injury, PRing is a given). Dexter Ann Arbor half-marathon.

-jeremy
--
+================================================================+
Jeremy Hallum, System Manager , Astronomy, University of Michigan

going into the week I was unsure about wether to do an easy week or a third "hard" week, giving me
next week to run easier before my first 10k in many years (feb 29). Then I thought, the only
reason I'm running the 10k is to get a good pace for guiding future tempo runs, so I really don't
want to go into it at 100%. So I took last week easy and will incorporate the 10k into the next
2-3 week session.

m 0.58hrs easy t 0.58 easy w 1.11 with unforced tempo last half...3.83 miles at 7:45. r 0.65 easy f
1.04 with 6 15 second strides. s dnr s 0.7hrs.

need to be more vigilant about stretching lower legs and feet. have to budget stretching time after
runs better, especially after the tempo run.

First Female master! BIG Congratulations Karen!!! And good time!!! Hope to now see you in Boston
next year...

Teresa in AZ

joe positive wrote:

> Su: 26.2 mi (Florida Gulf Beaches Marathon; 3:35:13; 1st female Masters, 6th female overall
> I think)
>
> total: 44.8 miles running, 9.5 elliptical
>
> Too tired to write any kind of race report. I didn't do quite as well as I'd hoped, but I'm still
> pretty happy. Count me in for the Boston 2005 rec.running party.
>
> Karen

Goals: Last two Grand Prix races in May (and retain lead if at all possible), 5-miler on March 6th,
and Steamboat Springs Marathon in June.

Mon: Rest Day Tue: 5.45 mi @ 9:31 pace. Wed: 6.3 mi @ more than 8:39 pace. Nearly got bit by a
Rottweiler today, she charged out of a hole in a normally-fenced in placed. As soon as I spotted her
(2' behind and closing fast), I stopped, wheeled, raised my arms and ROARED at her. She still
bruised my leg with her muzzle before she wheeled off and glared. I keep yelling and she finally
went back into her yard. I called animal control when I got home. Not the first time on this dog.
Grrrr! OK except for straining left hamstring and torquing left knee. Next time, I'll be carrying my
pepper spray. Thur: 5.45 mi @ 9:02 pace. Kept stride short so ham didn't hurt. Fri: Rest Day Sat:
15.25 mi @ 9:31 pace. Ham was fine, but knee gave some glitches. other than that, a decent run.

Total: 32.45 mi

Teresa in AZ

> "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
>

> cheers,

T - 6 Th - 6 F - 5 Su - 8

Tues and Thurs I ran with my HRM and kept my average for the run at around 155. Then I decided to
run without it Fri and Sun and ran much faster. I didn't feel uncomfortable those days but the pace
wasn't easy. My legs are starting to come around and didn't feel tired for the 8 miler.

Andy

>> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
<<

Mon - DNR Tue - 6.7 miles, 54:25 Wed - 4 miles, 36:25 Thu - 3.5 miles, 29:24 Fri - DNR Sat - Lung
Run Half Marathon, Little Rock, Arkansas, 1:46:11 Sun - 3 miles, 27:22

Weekly Total: 30.3 miles

Goals: recover/rebuild from winter (read: moronic runner), increase mileage, prepare for XC season
in fall, possible marathon july/january.

M - 7.5m (+ full body weightlifting) T - 3m W - 5m (+ FBW) T - 7m F - FBW, dnr S - 9.5m S -
Complete rest

Total: 32m

Not too bad.. could've been spaced out better. Should've gone faster.. running at an average of
9:55min/mi.. but only third full week after sparse winter running.

This coming week _hopefully_ 34-35 miles.

SwStudio wrote:

>Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

Goals:

Peak 1 (pure sprinting--speed for 800's later)
3/6 Long Beach Classic (100)
4/20 Aztec Invitational (100)
5/4 Johnny Mathis Invit (100--do I have to wear a sweater??)

Peak 2 800/1500/mile
6/3 Steve Scott Invitational
7/8 Sacramento Open (800)
8/5 So Cal USATF Champs (800)
9/26 So Cal twilight (800)

Sun 3 X30 starts + 2 X 3 X 60 flying (6.25 best--PR)

Mon weights: bench 10-8-6-4 205-245 @2 min rest isolation curls 4X12X70, 60 sec rest seated rows
4X12X150, 60 sec rest tricep pushdown 4X12X90, 60 sec rest

Tue off

Wed warmup only, due to rain 2X30m flys (2.85--PR) 1X30 from blocks (3.5--PR)

Thu off

Fri off

Sat 55m sprint race (7.24--yukk)

Sun off

As the saying goes, some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you. Came into the race flat
due to lack of work and didn't get out of the blocks--simple. You do this in a short sprint and your
dead: Even Marion Jones barely recovered from her bad start in Millrose. At least doing sprints, you
can race every weekend or two without anyone saying that your're overracing (Andrew)....

Now that my "Indoor Season" is over, I'll start cranking up a bit for upcoming 800's by increasing
the volume of my speed endurance. I've seen posts from Brazillian athletes that say guys down there
doing 47-point and 1:47 do workouts like 4X5X100 in 12.5 with 60 sec rest. I'll be trying to get to
3X5X100 with 45-60 sec rest before the 200's and 300's with short rest start.

Lyndon "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson