Training Week Ending February 29, 2004

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by SwStudio, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. SwStudio

    SwStudio Guest

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most insecure people are the ones you see, putting
    other people down constantly."

    Tags:

  2. Marisa

    Marisa Guest

    Training for my 3rd marathon (5/30).

    Monday: 3.22 miles (31:17) + weights Tuesday: 6.06 miles (56:33) Wednesday: 3.01 miles (28:12) + UB
    weights Thursday: XT (35 min. elliptical + LB weights) Friday: 6.03 miles (56:19) + UB weights
    Saturday: 12.05 miles (1:51:23) Sunday: Rest Day

    Total: 30.37 miles

    marisa

  3. Onemarathon

    Onemarathon Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    i'm sorta back in action after a winter of very occasional recreational runs. the approaching race
    season, a chance to earn the money to afford to race again, and the nicer weather, have all got me
    in the mood to really train again. so.....

    S - :40 (about 8k) easy run, ~ 50 swim :)20 continuous, speedwork, etc) m - :40 fartlek run t - dnr,
    :40 on stationary cycle w - :40 easy run t - rest f - lazy as hell, and did nothing again. ate a
    whole bag of chips. s - :40 hard tempo run (really pushed it; like race pace)

    must now think about scraping up the dough to buy new shoes now. i'm due, or even overdue. the knees
    ache a little after runs and i'm sure the cushioning is going on these suckers.

    thanks for reading, all.

    Cam

  4. Loaded Gunn

    Loaded Gunn Guest

    feb 22= 18 miles 23=17 miles 24= off 25=26 miles 26 = 30 miles 27= 24 miles stiff and left foot d
    sore. sat 28th = off ready now. in past week pick up 10 cent cans so allways stoping getting off
    bike or hiking with backpac. Hay don't knock it. every time I feel up back pack and take in store I
    can get 5 or 6 bucks. and do it 2 or 3 times. in say 5 to 6 hours. more like 2 times and some for
    next ride. Goal. maybe get a full time job again or be nuts and live like a bum with a home. as a
    bum I am broke and in nature. If I get off the brain normal.well I am nuts. Total run walk hike and
    most bike. 115 miles. Goal. To do more miles in a week then anyone here can. year to date. estamate.
    because I am eat these mile. no pead. sat at 500 miles.last 2 weeks was 115 and 79.w.... or 194
    miles. now time to mile it for next week. Have a good day and god speed rr. Lowtuc

  5. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    [email protected] (Loaded Gunn) wrote in news:[email protected]
    3271.bay.webtv.net:

    > pick up 10 cent cans so allways stoping getting off bike or hiking with backpac.

    A friend of mine, while out running, would stop and pick up any discarded Marlboro Milds cigarette
    packs she could find. Apparently there is some sort of coupon on them. If she picked up a pack and
    it didn't have the coupon, she would toss it back on the ground. The last time she did this she was
    spotted by a police officer. She received a citation for littering. The officer didn't buy the story
    about them not being her cigarettes.

    I don't know of too many women that smoke cigarettes while on a training run.

    Phil

    --
    "This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

  6. Joe Positive

    Joe Positive Guest

    goals: continue recovery from marathon last Sunday; build back up to 65+ mpw; stay healthy. Big-
    time, in-my-dreams, probably-won't-happen goal: crack the 70% age-graded barrier in any/all
    distances between 5K and 42K (Donovan, Brian, you've both inspired me). Upcoming races: 15K March
    13, 10K March 27.

    M: dnr, walked 2 miles or so
    N: 3.1mi (10:09)
    O: 4mi (9:52)
    P: 4mi (9:05)
    Q: 8mi (8:54) Sa: 8mi (8:44) Su: 12mi (8:30)

    Total: 39.1 miles

    I can't believe how OK I feel considering the marathon was just a week ago. My leg's a little sore
    but it's more annoying than anything else. Running felt so good this week that I may have pushed a
    little too much, so I'll try to cool it some the next few days.

    Good week all

    Karen

  7. Mark Mauro

    Mark Mauro Guest

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
    >

    > cheers,

    Goals: Bow Lake 15k in April, 1/2 Marathon in May, build base for fall marathon

    Monday: 6mi (8:30 pace) Tuesday: 14mi (9:02 pace) Wednesday: off Thursday: 6mi (8:10 pace) Friday:
    8mi (8:20 pace) Saturday: 4mi (8:10 pace) Sunday: 6.2mi (7:50 pace, club run) Total: 44.2 miles

    Feeling better since going back to a low fat diet.

    Mark Mauro

  8. Jim Gravity

    Jim Gravity Guest

    Decided a rest week was in order after all. Also decided that I was getting ahead of myself by doing
    a 10k so I didn't go. Reminder to myself that I'm still building mpw in a base zone.

    m 1.22hrs, measured section of 5.6 miles was 8:06, a little harder than easy. t dnr(this was when I
    realized I really needed to take the week off. pain on insides of shin/calfs.) w dnr r dnr went to
    gym, got warm on eliptical and bike for 15min and stretched for a long time. f dnr s ran trails for
    .71hrs, very slow, then ran a big hill, 8:49 up, pretty hard, 7:19 down. 1hr total, felt great. s
    0.97hrs, felt great.

  9. SwStudio

    SwStudio Guest

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Had a horrible race today. Sure it was windy and it's a hilly couse, but I don't use excuses like
    that. I'm a bad runner, and it's taken me a few years to realize that fact. Better now than a few
    years down the road.

    I will probably phase out competetive running over the next few months because I'm sick of
    embarassing myself and paying money to feel shitty. I've been at it for close to four years now and
    it's obvious I don't have the genetics or whatever it takes to run faster than a 90 year old with no
    legs. Plus all my PR's were set within a year or so of starting to run. Runners don't 'plateau' for
    3 effing years.

    Thanks for reading my drivel.

    M off T off W out-of-saddle bike (2:00) ---> (run 8mph)x5 (last 2 bike intervals were
    3:00)T 10km moderate (4:08/km (9mph)), 2km (3:23/km), 2k cool down F off S 4km easy, stretch S half
    marathon race, 1:22:57 (worst ever half marathon) 3km up

    total: 51km

    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most insecure people are the ones you see, putting
    other people down constantly."

  10. VITOdelapata

    VITOdelapata Guest

    Rocky's Running Log February 2004

    Time-Pace-Distance-Notes Sunday Feb 22 Long Run (Distance Run) 2:00:11 9:14 13.01 From ETSU to
    Highway 398. Very hilly run. Up and down. Felt great although I am a bit sore right
    now...YEah!!!!!!!!! Monday Feb 23 rest day (Rest Day) 1.0 took dogs for walk around property Tuesday
    Feb 24 Pace Run (Run) 32:33 8:07 4.01 Pace run around etsu and the tree streets. Some hills.
    Wednesday Feb 25 Sprints 800 meters 4 (Speed Work) 9:53 4:56 2.0 Ran 4 800 meter repeats at about a
    2.38 each Thursday Feb 26 TempO Run (Run) 20:54 12:59 1.61 snowing out. Had to cut run short. Too
    many cars sliding all over. Other than that great weather to run in... Friday Feb 27 Tempo Run
    (Race) 22:05 5:31 4.0 Ran an outstanding 4 miles. I did not think I was running that fast...I'm BAD!--UpDate-
    it is 280 meters around the indoor track. Note to self. See doctor about illusions of grandeur.
    Saturday Feb 28 Just a run (Run) 15:19 7:40 2.0 Ran outdoor track. What a difference. Wind made my
    times suck!!! Update- see above. Real time run! Sunday Feb 29 Long Run (Distance Run) 2:18:00 9:12
    15.0 Great Run. The Hills are brutal on this course. At mile ten I had a hill that lasted until mile
    12. Went home and jumped into the pool, 47 degree water. Outside temp 59. Total: 5:58:55 8:37 41.63
    Total (Run): 1:08:46 9:01 7.62 Total (Race): 22:05 5:31 4.00 Total (Speed Work): 9:53 4:56 2.00
    Total (Distance Run): 4:18:11 9:13 28.01 Total (Rest Day): 1.00

    --
    R.Robinson
    rrockslide""earthlink.net

  11. ultrajohn1

    ultrajohn1 Guest

    f you w 97 miles dummy up

  12. Brian Wakem

    Brian Wakem Guest

    A very frustrating, and at times, depressing week due to a painful left knee.

    Felt some pain on Monday but it went away after a few miles. The same happened on Tuesday.

    Wednesday morning I had to stop due to severe knee pain - I ran/walked home in agony and missed out
    on 10 miles that evening.

    Thursday the knee felt much better. Slight pain in the first mile went away and the rest of the run
    was pain free.

    Friday morning I was in agony again, having to cut short my run. Friday afternoon, quite
    mysteriously, the pain had gone so I got 10 in with only minor discomfort at times.

    Saturday was supposed to be a hard fartlek but the knee pain was back in a big way.

    I've taken today off (was planning to do the Bramley 20) and will take tomorrow off. This couldn't
    of happened at a worse time, I should be reaching peak mileage in the build up to the Fleet half -
    At best I think I'll have to re-assess my time goal. If my knee doesn't sort itself out very quickly
    I will drop out of the half and aim for one 3 or 4 weeks later.

    I've bought some Glucosamine - anyone used this for knee probs?

    Monday: pm) 7.25 miles - easy/medium

    Tuesday: pm) 8 miles in total, 6 X 1000m w/30/120 sec rec - hard

    Wednesday: am) 4.25 miles - easy

    Thursday: pm) 9.25 miles, last 3 in 16:30 - easy/hard

    Friday: am) 2.5 miles - easy pm) 10 miles - easy/medium

    Saturday: pm) 2.25 miles - very easy

    Sunday: REST

    Total run: 43.5 miles

    --
    Brian Wakem

  13. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]
    3131.bay.webtv.net:

    > 97 miles

    Hey UJ, you've done 97 for the last 3 weeks. Are you stuck in a rut or is this part of a plan?

    Phil

    --
    "Oh Mr Belpit your legs are so swollen" -Michael Palin as the Bishop

  14. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    SwStudio wrote:

    > I will probably phase out competetive running over the next few months because I'm sick of
    > embarassing myself and paying money to feel shitty. I've been at it for close to four years now
    > and it's obvious I don't have the genetics or whatever it takes to run faster than a 90 year old
    > with no legs. Plus all my PR's were set within a year or so of starting to run. Runners don't
    > 'plateau' for 3 effing years.

    Pr's in the first year are typical. Sitting on three year plateau has nothing to with bad genes but
    as a harsh as it sounds, incorrect training. Everyone that first starts a consistent training
    program makes big strides. Even poor training at the onset will help as long as you stay uninjured.
    Progress the second and third year should still occur albeit in smaller increments.

    To continue to make progress over many years takes a lot of work. I harp about periodization but you
    must lay out a multiyear plan with significant rest breaks containing macro and micro cycles with
    short and long term goals and check points.

    I'd suggest you find a coach or knowledgeable runner or two and sit down discuss your training. You
    need a some new eyes to review what you are doing. While Roger likes to think self coaching is the
    best way to go I contend it often fails big time. As Noakes says, you will never reach your best by
    coaching yourself.

    OTOH I'd best 99% of everyone on this board is self coached. This is all well and good as long as
    you're satisfied with what you achieve. Obviously you are not so go back to the drawing board.

    Like most of us I coach myself also but I have some very knowledgeable running friends and we often
    compare training notes.

    Venting is good. Now what do you plan to turn it around?

  15. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]
    3131.bay.webtv.net:

    > 14 a day will keep w away

    14 * 7 = 98. Are you doing a recovery of 13 miles on one day?

    Phil

    --
    You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you knew how
    seldom they do.

  16. jobin

    jobin Guest

    SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Had a horrible race today. Sure it was windy and it's a hilly couse, but I don't use excuses like
    > that. I'm a bad runner, and it's taken me a few years to realize that fact. Better now than a few
    > years down the road.

    i'm sure quite a few of us would like to be as "bad" as you are.

    i say, take it easy, david. it was just one bad day, one bad race. i'm sure in a few days, you'll
    be alright.

    doug had some excellent points in his reply. i'd look into his suggestions.

    good luck. jobs

  17. jobin

    jobin Guest

    SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    M - 4 miles total (2 @ 8:00) T - 3 miles @ 12:00 W - 4 miles total (2 @ 7:00) T - 2 miles @ 8:07 F -
    3.5 miles total (1.5 @ 7:30) S - 2 miles @ 7:29 S - 4 miles total (2 @ 7:00)

    total: 22.5 miles

    i'm on a mini UJesque streak. haven't missed a single day this year. 60 days and counting. :)

    goals: maintain steady base of 20+ miles/week. start increasing intensity of runs. maybe run a 5K
    race sometime soon with a target of sub-20.

    jobs

  18. Onemarathon

    Onemarathon Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
    >

    > Had a horrible race today. Sure it was windy and it's a hilly couse, but I don't use excuses like
    > that. I'm a bad runner, and it's taken me a few years to realize that fact. Better now than a few
    > years down the road.
    >
    > I will probably phase out competetive running over the next few months because I'm sick of
    > embarassing myself and paying money to feel shitty. I've been at it for close to four years now
    > and it's obvious I don't have the genetics or whatever it takes to run faster than a 90 year old
    > with no legs. Plus all my PR's were set within a year or so of starting to run. Runners don't
    > 'plateau' for 3 effing years.
    >
    > Thanks for reading my drivel.
    >

    > M off T off W out-of-saddle bike (2:00) ---> (run 8mph)x5 (last 2 bike intervals were
    > 3:00)T 10km moderate (4:08/km (9mph)), 2km (3:23/km), 2k cool down F off S 4km easy, stretch S
    > half marathon race, 1:22:57 (worst ever half marathon) 3km up
    >

    > total: 51km

    arg.... David, David, David. you must cut yourself some slack. if *I* could score a 1:22 in a half,
    i'd be in freakin' heaven. if you are "bad", then i'm way beyond bad. my best is 1:45 in the half,
    and i was bloody happy with that time. but hey, it's all relative. so what is your HM PR and your
    other typical HM race times?

    chin up... hang in there, don't quit. how did you feel pre-race, during and after. was the result
    due to a problem?

    Cam

  19. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote in news:w_s0c.27107$Im5.2401271
    @twister.nyc.rr.com:

    > I'd suggest you find a coach or knowledgeable runner or two and sit down discuss your training.

    David, don't you have a coach? I seem to recall you getting a new coach about a month ago.

    Phil

    --
    Everything can be improved. -C.W. Barron

  20. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    onemarathon wrote:

    > arg.... David, David, David. you must cut yourself some slack. if *I* could score a 1:22 in a
    > half, i'd be in freakin' heaven. if you are "bad", then i'm way beyond bad. my best is 1:45 in the
    > half, and i was bloody happy with that time. but hey, it's all relative. so what is your HM PR and
    > your other typical HM race times?

    Cam, yes, his times are very respectible but that is not the problem. His concern is he has hit a
    pleateu for the last few years and not just one bad race.