Training Week Ending February 8, 2004

Goal: Connemarathon. 28th March

Mon: 5.5 miles Tue: 5 miles Wed: dnr Thurs: dnr Fri: 5 miles Sat: dnr Sun: dnr Total: 15.5 miles

I had planned to limit mileage to 25 this week but other commitments prevented me reaching it. I've
5 weeks of hard work to do before I start to taper so the break won't do any harm, I hope...

--
Colm

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
: Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

Training for two half marathons at end of February, a very hard 30km race at end of March, and a
marathon in mid-May.

MON: 8km easy (4:20/km), full stretch routine TUE: 22km (first 18k @ 4:00/km, last 4k @ 3:43/km),
1km down WED: 8 x (2 min(10.1mph)--->3 min(8mph), 3km up, 2km down, weight training THU: 11km (first
10km @ 3:54/km, last km1 @3:23/km) SAT:eek:ff SUN: 5 x (2 min(12mph)--->3 min(7mph), 3km up, 2km down

TOTAL: 70km

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

Came 7th (out of 2000+) in the Wokingham 1/2M today in 1:14:19

My goal was for sub 1:14 in good conditions and the conditions were far from good. Freezing cold
gusty winds (35-40mph) held me back. I am very pleased with that time as sub 1:14 would have been a
dead cert in better weather.

Plan is to keep ramping up the mileage. Fleet 1/2M in 5 weeks is the next race. Target probably <
1:14 again.

New goals include a 32:59 10k in May and a 15:59 5k on the track in the summer.

Longer term I am no longer guessing as this time last year I couldn't have imagined running a 1:14
half, so I will keep building the mileage and see what happens.

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: pm) 4.5 miles in total, 8 x ~600m w/45sec rec - hard

Wednesday: pm) 7.3 miles inc 2m @ 5:13/mile + 1 @ 5:40/mile - easy/medium-hard

Thursday: pm) 4.75 miles, fartlek - medium/hard

Friday: pm) 6.2 miles inc 2m @ 5:37/mile - easy/medium-hard/easy

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: am) 13.1 miles, Wokingham 1/2M, 1:14:19 (7th)

Total run: 36 miles

--
Brian Wakem

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
>
>
> Training for two half marathons at end of February, a very hard 30km race at end of March, and a
> marathon in mid-May.
>
> MON: 8km easy (4:20/km), full stretch routine TUE: 22km (first 18k @ 4:00/km, last 4k @ 3:43/km),
> 1km down WED: 8 x (2 min(10.1mph)--->3 min(8mph), 3km up, 2km down, weight training THU: 11km
> (first 10km @ 3:54/km, last km1 @3:23/km) SAT:eek:ff SUN: 5 x (2 min(12mph)--->3 min(7mph), 3km up,
> 2km down
>
> TOTAL: 70km

Ooops, I forgot Friday's workout.

FRI 4 x 400 stairs (2 steps at a time), 1km up, 2km down

cheers,
--

"Brian Wakem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Came 7th (out of 2000+) in the Wokingham 1/2M today in 1:14:19

> Plan is to keep ramping up the mileage. Fleet 1/2M in 5 weeks is the next race. Target probably <
> 1:14 again.
>
> New goals include a 32:59 10k in May and a 15:59 5k on the track in the summer.

Awesome performance, Brian. I'd consider a sub 2:40 (or better) marathon bid after the next ½
instead of that 10k. Hold off on shorter stuff until Autumn. You might as well take advantage of the
distance work you have already done for the halfs.

cheers,
--

SwStudio wrote:

> "Brian Wakem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Came 7th (out of 2000+) in the Wokingham 1/2M today in 1:14:19
>
>> Plan is to keep ramping up the mileage. Fleet 1/2M in 5 weeks is the next race. Target probably <
>> 1:14 again.
>>
>> New goals include a 32:59 10k in May and a 15:59 5k on the track in the summer.
>
>
> Awesome performance, Brian. I'd consider a sub 2:40 (or better) marathon bid after the next ½
> instead of that 10k. Hold off on shorter stuff until Autumn. You might as well take advantage of
> the distance work you have already done for the halfs.
>
> cheers,

Cheers David. I have no intentions of doing a 'thon this year. I am going to steadily build up my
mileage and get a few good road and track performances in. I've been doing speedwork for almost a
year now and have knocked 11 minutes of my 1/2M time, so from here I keep doing what I'm doing and
maybe (big maybe) look for a sub 1:10 half next year.

--
Brian Wakem

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in news:MLcVb.5$051.1314
@read2.cgocable.net:

> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

Mon DNR Tue 6.0 easy, 8:38/mi Wed 8.5 w/4mi @ marathon pace, 8:09/mi Thu DNR Fri 7.1 easy, 8:27/mi
Sat 4.0 easy, 8:31/mi Sun 12.2 w/2 @ marathon pace, 8:40/mi Ttl 37.8, 8:29/mi

11 more weeks of this base building phase until I start on a 24-week marathon prep schedule that
starts on 4/25. Pointing towards the Chicago Marathon on 10/10. Once I hit 40 MPW in a few weeks
I'll keep a "holding pattern" of 40-40-40-25 with long runs of 12-12-12-9 until the program begins.

Overall a pretty good week. The weather was beautiful for today's long run (45F, sunny). I added a
small amount of speedwork on Wednesday using my planned marathon pace of 8:00/mi.

I lost another 2 pounds this week. Now down to 172 (was 245). Revised goal (3rd revision) is now
170 pounds. I keep hitting my goals and then Donovan tells me I need to lose more (thanks a lot
Donovan ;-) Anyway, I know I can lose more. That's what I'll do, as long as I keep feeling stronger
every week.

Have a good week rec.runners.

-Phil

Goals: 10 miler Feb. 22, 2 hr time goal; establish a solid 28-30 mpw base; trail half-marathon in
the fall, lose 30 lbs

M 4.5 mi fartlek T dnr
W .75 mi Th 1.5 mi F dnr S dnr S 7.5

Total = 14.25

Another crappy week, mileagewise. Schools were closed 7.5 days out of the past 3 weeks, so I can't
work from home and squeeze in a daytime run while they're at school, 'cause they haven't been at
school hardly. I won't even go into the reasons for the 3/4 mi and 1.5 mi runs in midweek, except to
say they involved a sick computer and a sick daughter.

The upside is that I had a nice fartlek-type run on Monday and a great 7.5 mile run today at
12:30min./mi, which makes me think that 10 miles at 12 min/mi is within the realm of the possible.

1/2 Marathon on March 11 Slightly sore foot - taking it easy...

Mon: off Tue: 10.5k at track
2.5 up, 2k in 9:02, 3 x 1k in 4:00 - 4:10, 3k down Wed-Thu: off Fri: 15k hilly. med-hard
uphill, easy downhill Sat: off Sun: 7.5k easy

Total: 33k (20 miles)

Anthony. Jerusalem, Israel.

>> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
<<

Mon - DNR Tue - 3.9 miles, 32:56 Wed - 4 miles, 33:31 Thu - 6 miles, 54:00 Fri - DNR Sat - 4 miles,
34:45 Sun 12.2 miles, 1:50:15

My goals remain a sub-22 5K and a sub 1:40 half marathon. I think I have a much better shot at
the 5K goal, assuming I ever get around to running one.

Mike

Base training for spring/summer triathlon season.
*Another* Flu Recovery Week :(

M: 5.6 miles - easy (still dragging)
N: dnr
O: 7.55 - easy
P: 5.6 - easy
Q: 7.55 - easy (felt pretty good)
R: dnr
S: 14.0 - easy (not as bad as I expected)

Total run: 40.3 miles (Swim 9k, Bike 187 miles)

As panic begins to take hold... It's taken a lot longer than I thought to get over the flu. My
training schedule is shot. I'm going to adjust my plan so that I still hit the peak training volume
I had planned previously. I'll still have time before my first race to consolidate my training
volume, but I won't be able to do much, if any speed work or high intensity workouts. Then again,
I'd prefer to race "flat" during the spring rather than risk injury.

m 0.639hrs t 0.896 "tempo" w gym in am, 0.783 in pm. t 0.63 (4d 3.1hrs; 7d 3.81hrs; 10d 5.38hrs) f
1.03, hard mile near the end. s dnr s 0.55 (4d 2.21hrs; 7d 4.69; 10d 5.39)

still about 8.5 minute miles, tuesday's run was about 7.5mpm for about 7miles.

SwStudio wrote:

>Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
>
Goals: pure sprinting through first peak in March

2/21 Holiday Inn Classic 55m (Reno NV indoors) goal 6.21
3/20 Aztec Invitational 100m goal sub-11
4/3 Steve Scott Invitational, probably 800

Sun 2X30fly (3.35), 60(7.3), 2X100(12.2)

Mon weights

Tue rest

Wed 1X30m start (3.9), 2X30m flying (3.37)

Thu weights: bench 5X10X205 @2 min rest isolation curls 4X10X90, 90 sec rest tricep pushdown
4X12X90, 60 sec rest

Fri off

Sat all-comers 50m (6.2) technical practice @90% effort

later: 2X30fly warmup (3.3), 6X100, 45 sec rest (12.0, ave)

Sun off

Charlie Francis' methods involve using flat-out speed from day 1 (this might start with
accelerations of only 20m at a time), and a max strength phase the coincides with the end of the
acceleration phase on the track. Charlie also believes in HEAVY weights, few reps. When you put this
all together, you gain acceleration power (a LOT, in my case) but lose your top end speed. This
might be the reason why Ben Johnson did steroids (I'm just guessing here). But since I'm NOT doing
steriods, I've dropped Charlie's weight methods, in favor of my old one, which emphasizes
hypertrophy rather than heavy weight, and I've dropped squats entirely for now. It appears that my
top end started to come back almost immediately.

Moral to the story: If you want to go really fast, don't lift VERY heavy weights at the same time
you're trying to boost your top speed. Sets of 8-12 reps of a weight you can lift roughly 15 times
works better. You can't recover for track workouts (and vice versa) when doing the very heavy weight
sessions--at least I can't, and several people on Charlie's forum have had the same problem.

Lyndon

"Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

Anthony wrote:

> 1/2 Marathon on March 11 Slightly sore foot - taking it easy...

If it's in the PF area, they strongly suggest no hills or speed,
i.e. stay off your toes else you cause more harm.
>
> Mon: off Tue: 10.5k at track
> 2.5 up, 2k in 9:02, 3 x 1k in 4:00 - 4:10, 3k down Wed-Thu: off Fri: 15k hilly. med-hard
> uphill, easy downhill Sat: off Sun: 7.5k easy

--
Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email protected]

It looks like your training is going well, I like Charlie Francis a lot too. BTW, do you know Val
Barnwell? He is probably your main rival.

Good luck with your races and goals.

LS

[email protected] (Lyndon) wrote in message news:<20040209114328.21885.00001736@mb-
m14.aol.com>...
> SwStudio wrote:
>
> >Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
> >
> Goals: pure sprinting through first peak in March
>
> 2/21 Holiday Inn Classic 55m (Reno NV indoors) goal 6.21
> 3/20 Aztec Invitational 100m goal sub-11
> 5/3 Steve Scott Invitational, probably 800
>
> Sun 2X30fly (3.35), 60(7.3), 2X100(12.2)
>
> Mon weights
>
> Tue rest
>
> Wed 1X30m start (3.9), 2X30m flying (3.37)
>
> Thu weights: bench 5X10X205 @2 min rest isolation curls 4X10X90, 90 sec rest tricep pushdown
> 4X12X90, 60 sec rest
>
> Fri off
>
> Sat all-comers 50m (6.2) technical practice @90% effort
>
> later: 2X30fly warmup (3.3), 6X100, 45 sec rest (12.0, ave)
>
> Sun off
>
> Charlie Francis' methods involve using flat-out speed from day 1 (this might start with
> accelerations of only 20m at a time), and a max strength phase the coincides with the end of the
> acceleration phase on the track. Charlie also believes in HEAVY weights, few reps. When you put
> this all together, you gain acceleration power (a LOT, in my case) but lose your top end speed.
> This might be the reason why Ben Johnson did steroids (I'm just guessing here). But since I'm NOT
> doing steriods, I've dropped Charlie's weight methods, in favor of my old one, which emphasizes
> hypertrophy rather than heavy weight, and I've dropped squats entirely for now. It appears that my
> top end started to come back almost immediately.
>
> Moral to the story: If you want to go really fast, don't lift VERY heavy weights at the same time
> you're trying to boost your top speed. Sets of 8-12 reps of a weight you can lift roughly 15 times
> works better. You can't recover for track workouts (and vice versa) when doing the very heavy
> weight sessions--at least I can't, and several people on Charlie's forum have had the same
> problem.
>
> Lyndon
>
>
> "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

Doug Freese wrote:

> Anthony wrote:
>
> > 1/2 Marathon on March 11 Slightly sore foot - taking it easy...
>
> If it's in the PF area, they strongly suggest no hills or speed,
> i.e. stay off your toes else you cause more harm.
> >

No - don't think it's PF.

It's sore on the bone on the outside/top of foot (about 1/2 way between the little toe and
the heel).

It hurts when I run, but not unbearably...

So, I'm icing and taking some extra days off.

Anthony.

> "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us
> about your training week and goals.

MON: Rest Day TUE: Out to dinner with freind from Germany. Not enough run time. WED: 6.3 miles @
8:06 pace. 48F, windy. THU: Raining like mad!! FRI: 6.3 mi @ 8:39 pace. 50F, clear and beautiful.
SAT: 12 mi @ 9:13 pace. Cool morning with strong E wind. Good run. SUN: Cross-train. Hiked up to
Wasson Peak (7mi RT).

Total: 25.6 mi

Teresa in AZ

Goals: Local races and local Grand Prix. Next Race Feb 14 (not a GP race), a 10k. Looking now at
Steamboat Springs Marathon in June, we'll see...

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
>
> Anthony wrote:
>
> > 1/2 Marathon on March 11 Slightly sore foot - taking it easy...
>
> If it's in the PF area, they strongly suggest no hills or speed,
> i.e. stay off your toes else you cause more harm.

Stay away from XC races too, I'm the living proof.

> >
> > Mon: off Tue: 10.5k at track
> > 2.5 up, 2k in 9:02, 3 x 1k in 4:00 - 4:10, 3k down Wed-Thu: off Fri: 15k hilly. med-hard
> > uphill, easy downhill Sat: off Sun: 7.5k easy
>
>
> --
> Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email protected]

One who isn't a runner and couldn't meet me until dinnertime. But this freind will be letting me
stay at their house in Germany in April!!

:)

(BTW, his wife IS a runner and I asked him to be sure to tell Karen to get her running shoes ready-
I want to do some running with her while there!)

Teresa in AZ

Phil M. wrote:

> Teresa Bippert-Plymate <[email protected]> wrote in news:c08b19$qe0$1 @oasis.ccit.arizona.edu:
>
>
>>TUE: Out to dinner with freind from Germany. Not enough run time.
>
>
> What kind of friend would allow this to happen? ;-)
>
> -Phil