Training Week Ending March 14, 2004

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Swstudio, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    Weekly quote:

    "It is not the mountain we conquer, it is ourselves. If you
    can overcome your fear, you are frequently able to extend
    yourself far beyond what you normally regard as your
    ability." Sir Edmund Hillary
    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
    insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people

    Tags:

  2. Brian Wakem

    Brian Wakem Guest

    Knee is much better, but still hurts on long or steep
    downhills and after an hour on long runs, but it's well on
    the way to mending.

    Record mileage this week - don't know how that happened, I
    wasn't planning high mileage, they just crept up on me!

    Not sure what to do in the way of races. Might try a half
    in say 3 weeks, or I might just not race until May, when I
    have a 5k (track), 10k (Silverstone) and a 10m (Hook) race
    I want to do.

    I/m off to Marshal the Fleet half - My job is to call out
    times at halfway.

    Monday: pm) 5.25 miles - easy/medium

    Tuesday: pm) 4.5 miles in total, 6 x 275m hills - hard

    Wednesday: am) 8.9 miles - easy/medium pm) 9.3 miles -
    easy/medium

    Thursday: pm) 8 miles - 6 easy, 2 hard

    Friday: am) 7.3 miles - easy/medium pm) 8.15 miles - medium
    (8 mins hard)

    Saturday: am) 6.75 miles, hilly fartlek 10x1min w/1min
    rec - hard

    Sunday: am) 13.1 miles - easy/medium

    Total run: 71.25 miles

    --
    Brian Wakem

  3. Onemarathon

    Onemarathon Guest

    my week:

    s - :50 swim, DNR m - :40 fartlek run t - rest w - :40 easy-
    ish run, with a strong finish t - DNR f - :40 easy-ish run,
    with strides at the end s - DNR s - supposed to swim, but
    tight schedule won't allow it. just ran :40 easy with a
    friend who is marathon training. not a pace i would normally
    run at (about a 6:00 km pace), but it was good to get out
    with someone after many months of running solo.

    Comments: having issues with tight calves, a recurring thing
    with me. must remember to stretch and roll even on the days
    off. so due to the tightness and achiness, i've eased off on
    the intensity this week.

    Goals: hopefully, two races in late May - a sprint triathlon
    (500m/22.2k/5k) and then a 5k the following week.

    Cam

  4. Joe Positive

    Joe Positive Guest

    goals: get back to 65+mpw base, get stronger, stay healthy. Late
    spring has arrived in Florida, and with it comes the
    short-painful-race season, which lasts entirely too long (until
    November or so). Upcoming: 10K March 27, 5K April 3, 5K April 5.

    M: 7mi (9:14) on treadmill, 3mi elliptical trainer
    N: 8mi including 15x300 w/100 recovery, goal (avg) 1:09,
    actual (avg)
    1:10, kicked my ass
    W: 8mi (9:23) on tm, 3mi et
    X: 7.6mi (8:45)
    Y: 4mi (8:39) Sa: 11.3mi including 15K race (Gate River Run,
    aka USATF 15K championship) - 1:07:21 gun, 1:06:57 chip,
    PR by 1:42, 76th or 77th female, absolutely zip AG
    hardware, felt really really good, pace equaled my 10K PR
    pace, 71.17% AG,
    yyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhh! Su: 12mi
    (9:07), extra poky

    total: 57.9 miles running

    good week all

    Karen

  5. >Sa: 11.3mi including 15K race (Gate River Run, aka USATF
    >15K championship) - 1:07:21 gun, 1:06:57 chip, PR by 1:42,
    >76th or 77th female, absolutely zip AG hardware, felt
    >really really good, pace equaled my 10K PR pace, 71.17% AG,
    >yyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhh!

    Woo hoo!

    --
    Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing
    and proofreading

    If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston
    Churchill

  6. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    "joe positive" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Sa: 11.3mi including 15K race (Gate River Run, aka USATF
    > 15K championship) - 1:07:21 gun, 1:06:57 chip, PR by 1:42,
    > 76th or 77th female, absolutely zip AG hardware, felt
    > really really good, pace equaled my 10K PR pace, 71.17%
    > AG, yyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhh!

    Nice going, Karen! I predict more PR's on the horizon.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
    insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people
    down constantly."

  7. Well it's nice to be back here able to report a 'Training
    Week'. I began running with some earnestness a little over
    two years ago (and logging in here often). After about three
    months, ended up with achilles tendonitis. After much RICE,
    different shoes, changed courses etc. I couldn't shake it;
    it flared up constantly.

    After 15 months of struggle, last year I decided no running
    for the entire summer (did all of 11 miles in 2003); I biked
    instead - 2300 miles worth. I saw a physiotherapist too and
    she recommended an entirely different type of shoe. So with
    10 months off running, regular cycling, a loss of 15 pounds,
    new shoes, a new stretching regimen and no small amount of
    anxiety I cautiously began running again in January (3 x 2-
    miles on a treadmill per week). Gently I have increased this
    and with the snow gone am now running outside and mixing in
    cycling, too.

    Goals: To run in good health 3x/week, to increase the
    mileage slowly (<10%/week) and to bike twice a week. The
    week that was:

    Monday: Rest day Tuesday: Ran 3.26 miles (8:17/mile)
    Wednesday: Biked 21.35 miles Thursday: Ran 3.26 miles
    (8:20/mile) Friday: Rest day Saturday: Ran 5.51 miles
    (8:27/mile) Sunday: Biked 19.27 miles

    It's good to be back at it. Regards,

    Paul

  8. Marisa

    Marisa Guest

    Training for Med-City Marathon, 5/30

    Monday: 4.02 miles (37:18, 9:16/mi) + UB weight lifting

    Tuesday:: 7.32 miles (1:08:06, 9:18/mi.)

    Wednesday: 14.04 miles (2:11:01, 9:20/mi.) + UB weight
    lifting

    Thursday: Day off

    Friday: 7.55 miles (1:11:10, 9:26/mi)+ UB weight lifting

    Saturday: Day off

    Sunday: 1 mile warm-up; 5K race (23:04, 7:26/mi); 1
    mile cool down

    Total 38.03 miles

    marisa

  9. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    joe positive <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > yyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhh!

    A good race brings out the Howard Dean in all of us.

    Phil
    --
    "He who praises you for what you lack wishes to take from you what you
    have." -­Juan Manuel

  10. Joe Positive

    Joe Positive Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:23:17 GMT, "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >joe positive <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> yyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhh!
    >
    >A good race brings out the Howard Dean in all of us.

    Congratulations! You're the first one that got it.

    Karen

  11. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Paul Steadman <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    wire.com:

    > Well it's nice to be back here able to report a 'Training
    > Week'. I
    began
    > running with some earnestness a little over two years ago
    > (and logging in here often). After about three months,
    > ended up with achilles tendonitis. After much RICE,
    > different shoes, changed courses etc. I couldn't shake it;
    > it flared up constantly.
    >
    > After 15 months of struggle, last year I decided no
    > running for the entire summer (did all of 11 miles in
    > 2003); I biked instead - 2300 miles worth. I saw a
    > physiotherapist too and she recommended an
    entirely
    > different type of shoe. So with 10 months off running,
    > regular cycling, a loss of 15 pounds, new shoes, a new
    > stretching regimen and no small amount of anxiety I
    > cautiously began running again in January (3 x 2-miles on
    > a treadmill per week). Gently I have increased this and
    > with the snow gone am now running outside and mixing in
    > cycling, too.
    >
    > Goals: To run in good health 3x/week, to increase the
    > mileage slowly (<10%/week) and to bike twice a week. The
    > week that was:
    >
    > Monday: Rest day Tuesday: Ran 3.26 miles (8:17/mile)
    > Wednesday: Biked 21.35 miles Thursday: Ran 3.26 miles
    > (8:20/mile) Friday: Rest day Saturday: Ran 5.51 miles
    > (8:27/mile) Sunday: Biked 19.27 miles
    >
    > It's good to be back at it.

    Fantastic! This is great news. I think you've conquered the
    most difficult task in being a runner - not running. It
    looks like that was your only solution. Were you a cyclist
    before your achilles tendonitis problems?

    Hope to hear from you soon.

    Phil

    --
    "The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
    -Walter Bagehot

  12. Ryan Pearman

    Ryan Pearman Guest

    Goals: I'll dream of a 2:55 in Boston. But I'll run for a 2:58. =)

    M: dnr Tu: 9, 4x1.5 miles @5:52pace. Ended up having to do
    these on a damn treadmill. Work and HS track practice
    (at 5:30pm!) prevented me from getting these done on a
    track. Bad: probably slightly easier on a TM. Good: No
    slowing down and flying off the back of the TM put the
    fear of god in me.
    N: 8, ~7:15pace Th: 8, 15min @ 6:13pace, 10min @ 6:18 pace
    tempo intervals. Really felt lousy and whimped out on
    the last interval.
    O: 10, ~7:00pace Sa: 3:, ~7:30pace Su: 9, 8k race in 29:47.
    Don't know why I'm upset at the time, but sub 30:00 over
    5 miles is a breakthrough for me. Blitzed the first mile
    @5:41 and threw off the rest of the race.

    Total: 47

    Coming up: Last big long run next week (23), gotta make
    *sure* to pace myself slow. Half in two weeks that I'm going
    to run the first 7 at
    OA. Final 10k in three weeks.

  13. In article <[email protected]>, SwStudio wrote:
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.

    M 10.3 T 7.5 tempo intervals 1600m/200 rest 6:04/5:56/5:59 W
    30 min xtraining,
    7.9 intervals 4x1200 400 rest 4:08 4:08 4:10 4:13 T 8.7 F
    30min xtraining S rest S Debut half marathon 1:21:49

    Total: 47.5

    Comments: intervals are going pretty well. Milage down a
    tiny bit to make up for a few weeks of goign over goal
    amount. The race went well, report later (too tired now)

    Cheers,

  14. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.

    I started off the week as recovery from the half marathon
    race the day before (not to mention the one on the previous
    weekend). Then it was the last little push of workouts that
    will have some bearing, if much at all, on the ATB30k race
    on March 28. Although I have already reduced my mileage,
    this upcoming week will see a definite trend towards
    shorter, faster (and fewer) workouts as taper mode truly
    commences.

    Monday 5km very easy, recovery (5:00/km), stretch

    Tuesday off (ate vast amounts of food and sat around)

    Wednesday 8km steady (4:04/km), 1km down, stretch

    Thursday treadmill: (2min each @ 1% incline, 4% incline,
    8% incline all @ 8mph) x 4, 3km up , 2km down, stretch
    and weights

    Friday 15km steady (3:58/km), 1km down

    Saturday elliptical routine (2:00 'run' (cadence 70), 2:00
    hands behind back (cadence 85), 2:00 hands behind back, eyes
    closed(cadence 85)) x 4 treadmill: 2:00 (11.1mph) --->2:00
    (8.1mph) x 8, 3km up, 2km down, stretch

    Sunday 6km easy (4:20/km), stretch

    Total: 58km

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
    insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people
    down constantly."

  15. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.

    Mon - rest Tue - 7.0 easy @ 8:17/mi Wed - 9.0 LT @ 7:59, 4
    up, 3 LT @ 7:30/mi, 2 down Thu - 7.2 easy @ 8:20/mi Fri -
    rest Sat - 5.0 easy @ 8:32/mi Sun - 14.2 @ 8:32/mi
    ------------------
    Week - 42.4 Year - 370

    Training Goals: Continue to build endurance while adding
    some LT paced running. Since in my area it is difficult to
    find a continuous 1 to 3 mile stretch that has no hills, I'm
    thinking of taking my LT run to the local high school track.
    That way I can keep a steady pace/effort at my LT pace. 6
    weeks until beginning a 24-week marathon training program.
    I'm working on devising a plan that tops out at 63 MPW,
    using the multi-speed approach as outlined in the book
    "Advanced Marathoning" (Pfitzinger-Douglas).

    Racing Goals:
    7/11/04 - Wine Country Half Marathon, Napa Valley California
    7/12/04 - LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon

    Have a good week rec.runners.

    Phil

    ---
    "There's somebody at every dinner party who eats all the
    celery." -Kin Hubbard

  16. Drlith

    Drlith Guest

    Man, I don't even hardly want to talk about it.

    M 4.5
    T .75 W DNR Th DNR F 1.5 S DNR S 5.5

    Total = 12.25

    Monday was just normal nightly run. I was going to do
    intervals on Tuesday again, so I warmed up by walking the
    dog around the loop for about a half an hour, noticing a
    couple of squad cars along the way. When I get back to my
    building to put the dog up and do my intervals (I figured
    4X600 would be sufficiently conservative to keep Donovan off
    my case) I saw that they had posted a notice on the door
    announcing that in the past week there had been several
    armed robberies in the complex and another one about a half
    mile down the road. As I come back out, I notice a guy
    walking down the drive from the main road. I pause in the
    doorway, a bit nervous. He gets down to the mailbox at the
    next building, then just turns right around and walks back
    out to the main road. I give him a couple of minutes to get
    out of sight, and then I start my first interval going
    around the circle drive in the other direction, figuring I
    won't get back to this side for another 7-8 minutes, plenty
    of time for him to clear off, whoever he was. Except, when I
    get up to the main road 7 minutes later, there he is again,
    walking along the shoulder. Only about 100 yards from where
    I had lost sight of him when I started the lap, so he had
    obviously been wandering back and forth or up and down that
    whole time. So now I'm really nervous and loop around back
    to where the squad car was parked, but the officers are not
    around. I decide to pack up my marbles and go home. And yes,
    the guy did match the description on the flier, although we
    have no shortage of 20-something 5'11" average build black
    males around here.

    I was just too nervous to run at night the rest of the week.
    I don't know if armed robbers would mess with a woman
    jogging around her own apt. complex at 10 pm. A smart person
    would figure they probably aren't carrying cash, but I don't
    know if they're smart enough, being armed robbers and all
    that. So, after a couple of days of this chicken shit stuff,
    I decided to try running in the morning at 6 am while the
    kids are still asleep. Ugh. I walked a lap, felt really
    stiff and lousy, ran one, felt lousy and hungry, and decided
    to come in. Now, I run at 8 am many Saturdays and usually
    feel fine, but I guess 6 am is a different kettle of fish.

    Didn't run Saturday am, either--weather is better and BobG
    has apparently decided to stop mollycoddling his lungs, so I
    didn't have a convenient kid-watcher. The only good news of
    the week is that I had a good 5.5 mile trail run Sunday, a
    tad faster than I was able to that particular loop last time
    I did it back in December (the fact that they chainsawed
    some 20 fallen trees off the route helped), and yet felt
    like the pace had been very easy and I could have kept going
    if I had had the time.

    The 6 am run was so miserable that I'd rather face an armed
    robber, so I'll be back at the 10 pm runs next week.

  17. Mark Mauro

    Mark Mauro Guest

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.

    > Weekly quote:
    >
    > "It is not the mountain we conquer, it is ourselves. If
    > you can overcome your fear, you are frequently able to
    > extend yourself far beyond what you normally regard as
    > your ability." Sir Edmund Hillary
    > cheers,

    Goals: Bow Lake 15k in April, 1/2 Marathon in May, build
    base for fall marathon

    Monday: off Tuesday: 14mi (8:45 pace) Wednesday: 6mi (8:30
    pace) Thursday: 6mi (8:10 pace) Friday: 10mi (8:30 pace)
    Saturday: 4mi (8:28 pace) Sunday: 6mi club run (7:55 pace)
    Total: 46 miles

    Decided to add a 10 miler instead of increasing long run to
    16. Four weeks til 15k race. Is a taper needed for a race
    like this? If so how long, just a week?

    Mark Mauro

  18. Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > S Debut half marathon 1:21:49

    > (...) The race went well, report later (too tired now)

    You come from Australia, you live in New York - you wouldn´t
    have been my first pick in a contest "Who´s going to make
    the rec.running understatement of the year?"!

    Anders

  19. Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > S Debut half marathon 1:21:49

    > (...) The race went well, report later (too tired now)

    You come from Australia, you live in New York - you wouldn´t
    have been my first pick in a contest "Who´s going to make
    the rec.running understatement of the year?"!

    Anders

  20. Tom Wheeler

    Tom Wheeler Guest

    sunday- total this week was 42 miles on Bike. (mt) in snow ice mud rain
    and high winds alway below freezeing cold weather. let alto dirt roads.
    total water mud wet and high winds and below freezeing temps. so They
    might not be alto. 8 miles
    monday- off
    tuesday- 15 miles
    wensday- 13 miles
    thursday- 1 mile. fixing broken skipping chain.
    friday- laundry and 6 miles or (total for week in bike miles ) 42
    saturday-off back sore. went to hospital a couple weeks back.... more
    from no belt sleep some and setting up universe sky gaze.backyard
    beginer sky watch weight lifting. I know is weights smart.:>0???

    Today:- liftng all and long walk maybe from pole barn . to
    get alto from a to b. well skeleto re alignment. from too
    much biking and a big bellie. 2 weeks back some. (well for
    the miles I was doing and roads) today going to get weights
    and bench from and got to get that stake out of middle of
    floor in 6 person tent I found and set up.How much weights.
    alto. outside set up. .......Next please........