Training Week Ending March 14, 2004

Phil M. wrote:
> Paul Steadman <[email protected]> wrote in news:4054C735.5040909@the-
> wire.com:
>

>>Well it's nice to be back here able to report a 'Training
>>Week'. I
>
> began
>
>>running with some earnestness a little over two years ago
>>(and logging in here often). After about three months,
>>ended up with achilles tendonitis. After much RICE,
>>different shoes, changed courses etc. I couldn't shake it;
>>it flared up constantly.
>>
>>After 15 months of struggle, last year I decided no
>>running for the entire summer (did all of 11 miles in
>>2003); I biked instead - 2300 miles worth. I saw a
>>physiotherapist too and she recommended an
>
> entirely
>
>>different type of shoe. So with 10 months off running,
>>regular cycling, a loss of 15 pounds, new shoes, a new
>>stretching regimen and no small amount of anxiety I
>>cautiously began running again in January (3 x 2-miles on
>>a treadmill per week). Gently I have increased this and
>>with the snow gone am now running outside and mixing in
>>cycling, too.
>>
>>Goals: To run in good health 3x/week, to increase the
>>mileage slowly (<10%/week) and to bike twice a week. The
>>week that was:
>>
>>Monday: Rest day Tuesday: Ran 3.26 miles (8:17/mile)
>>Wednesday: Biked 21.35 miles Thursday: Ran 3.26 miles
>>(8:20/mile) Friday: Rest day Saturday: Ran 5.51 miles
>>(8:27/mile) Sunday: Biked 19.27 miles
>>
>>It's good to be back at it.
>

> Fantastic! This is great news. I think you've conquered
> the most difficult task in being a runner - not running.
> It looks like that was your only solution. Were you a
> cyclist before your achilles tendonitis problems?
>
> Hope to hear from you soon.
>
> Phil
>
> --
> "The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you
> cannot do." -Walter Bagehot

I had been an occasional weekend cyclist prior to the AT
problem but nothing like what I did last year. Mixing the
two sports seems to be working well for me for now though,
health permitting, running will likely become more dominant.
Thanks for the interest Phil.

Regards,

Paul

Nursed my ankle (non-running sprain) all week. I'm trying to
keep up-beat about things, keep reminding myself this forced
rest is what my posterior tibialis was asking for. If I can
force myself to come back gently I'll do great. I think part
of my problem is that I am accustomed to spending much more
time active. From the past few years of cycling 10-20 hours
a week, I feel lazy when I run 4 hours or so a week. I think
it's time to incorporate some riding, especially now that I
am going to throttle back for a month as I get back into it.
Keep reminding myself that the I'm not losing everything and
that the past three months of running are in the bank. The
last month I felt great though, I had 3, 32 mile weeks in a
row and another hard week in there somewhere. I was hitting
a good pace in weekly tempo runs too. I'll be sure to not do
any tempo for the next month. It was helpful to have done
the harder (albeit premature) runs I have done, so I can see
I'm on track.

> In article <[email protected]>, SwStudio wrote:
>
>Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
>week and goals.

Le Goals: (Yeah, I feel like speaking French today!)
Last two local Grand Prix (French!) races in May. I'm
still leadin' the ladies. Steamboat Springs Marathon in
June. I registered, so I'm committed now. And really
excited about it!

Mon: Rest Day Tue: 5.45 mi at 9:39 pace. Clear, hi 80's F
today. Still a little stiff from Sundown race, heel is
hurting a bit. Wed: 5.45 mi at 8:57 pace. Another nice day.
Muscles much better, but fluid reaccumulating in heel, have
to drain again soon. Thur: 5.45 mi @ 8:59 pace. Overcast &
cool. Muscles normal again, felt fine, heel hurting some.
Fri: Rest Day Sat: 18 mi @ 9:20 overall pace. First loop was
9.8 mi at 9:40 pace, second loop 8.2 mi at 8:57 pace. It's
raining and there are T-storms this morning! I felt really
terrific, especially the second loop. Heel is absolutely
fine. I played games racing the rain cells (and hoping the
lightning stayed far away!) Sun: Should have run but ran out
of time. This is the day we catch up on house chores. Had a
few things break this week and was still doing laundry at
6pm. Yuck. But the house looks terrific.

Total: 34.35 mi

Teresa in AZ Bonjour!

>> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your
>> training week and goals.
<<

Mon - DNR Tue - 5 miles, 44:57 Wed - DNR Thu - 9.3 miles,
1:17:39 Fri - DNR Sat - 3.5 miles, 31:10 Sun - 12.2
miles, 1:46:22

Total - 30 miles

Late in the week I started to get some mild lower back
/ right hip pain; I'm not sure what that's all about.
I'm also not sure what might have caused it but I'm
planning on skipping weight work this week and seeing
if that helps any.

Mike

Goal : Sand Marathon in about 4 weeks.

Yet another longest-ever week. Long taper starts next week,
with less running but more quality work.

Mon Noon 0:57 9km 6mi Easy in park on grass PM 0:54 9km 6mi
Work to home with 3.5 kg backpack

Tue AM 0:56 9km 6mi Home to work with 5 kg backpack
Noon 1:22 15km 9mi Endurance on riverside trails

Wed Noon 1:21 15km 9mi Endurance on riverside trails PM 1:03
12km 8mi Endurance on road

Thu Noon 1:20 15km 9mi Endurance on riverside trails

Fri PM 1:25 16km 10mi Easy, then 5k marathon pace
(4'08/km) at end

Sat REST

Sun PM 3:16 33km 20mi "Race pace" with race-weight 7kg
backpack Continuous running except 5 minutes at halfway
Totals 12h30m 134 km 84 miles