Training Week Ending March 14, 2004

Swstudio

Guest
Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
week and goals.

Weekly quote:

"It is not the mountain we conquer, it is ourselves. If you
can overcome your fear, you are frequently able to extend
yourself far beyond what you normally regard as your
ability." Sir Edmund Hillary
cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people

Knee is much better, but still hurts on long or steep
downhills and after an hour on long runs, but it's well on
the way to mending.

Record mileage this week - don't know how that happened, I
wasn't planning high mileage, they just crept up on me!

Not sure what to do in the way of races. Might try a half
in say 3 weeks, or I might just not race until May, when I
have a 5k (track), 10k (Silverstone) and a 10m (Hook) race
I want to do.

I/m off to Marshal the Fleet half - My job is to call out
times at halfway.

Monday: pm) 5.25 miles - easy/medium

Tuesday: pm) 4.5 miles in total, 6 x 275m hills - hard

Wednesday: am) 8.9 miles - easy/medium pm) 9.3 miles -
easy/medium

Thursday: pm) 8 miles - 6 easy, 2 hard

Friday: am) 7.3 miles - easy/medium pm) 8.15 miles - medium
(8 mins hard)

Saturday: am) 6.75 miles, hilly fartlek 10x1min w/1min
rec - hard

Sunday: am) 13.1 miles - easy/medium

Total run: 71.25 miles

--
Brian Wakem

my week:

s - :50 swim, DNR m - :40 fartlek run t - rest w - :40 easy-
ish run, with a strong finish t - DNR f - :40 easy-ish run,
with strides at the end s - DNR s - supposed to swim, but
tight schedule won't allow it. just ran :40 easy with a
friend who is marathon training. not a pace i would normally
run at (about a 6:00 km pace), but it was good to get out
with someone after many months of running solo.

Comments: having issues with tight calves, a recurring thing
with me. must remember to stretch and roll even on the days
off. so due to the tightness and achiness, i've eased off on
the intensity this week.

Goals: hopefully, two races in late May - a sprint triathlon
(500m/22.2k/5k) and then a 5k the following week.

Cam

goals: get back to 65+mpw base, get stronger, stay healthy. Late
spring has arrived in Florida, and with it comes the
short-painful-race season, which lasts entirely too long (until
November or so). Upcoming: 10K March 27, 5K April 3, 5K April 5.

M: 7mi (9:14) on treadmill, 3mi elliptical trainer
N: 8mi including 15x300 w/100 recovery, goal (avg) 1:09,
actual (avg)
1:10, kicked my ass
W: 8mi (9:23) on tm, 3mi et
X: 7.6mi (8:45)
Y: 4mi (8:39) Sa: 11.3mi including 15K race (Gate River Run,
aka USATF 15K championship) - 1:07:21 gun, 1:06:57 chip,
PR by 1:42, 76th or 77th female, absolutely zip AG
hardware, felt really really good, pace equaled my 10K PR
pace, 71.17% AG,
yyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhh! Su: 12mi
(9:07), extra poky

total: 57.9 miles running

good week all

Karen

>Sa: 11.3mi including 15K race (Gate River Run, aka USATF
>15K championship) - 1:07:21 gun, 1:06:57 chip, PR by 1:42,
>76th or 77th female, absolutely zip AG hardware, felt
>really really good, pace equaled my 10K PR pace, 71.17% AG,
>yyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhh!

Woo hoo!

--
Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing
and proofreading

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston
Churchill

"joe positive" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Sa: 11.3mi including 15K race (Gate River Run, aka USATF
> 15K championship) - 1:07:21 gun, 1:06:57 chip, PR by 1:42,
> 76th or 77th female, absolutely zip AG hardware, felt
> really really good, pace equaled my 10K PR pace, 71.17%
> AG, yyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhh!

Nice going, Karen! I predict more PR's on the horizon.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people
down constantly."

Well it's nice to be back here able to report a 'Training
Week'. I began running with some earnestness a little over
two years ago (and logging in here often). After about three
months, ended up with achilles tendonitis. After much RICE,
different shoes, changed courses etc. I couldn't shake it;
it flared up constantly.

After 15 months of struggle, last year I decided no running
for the entire summer (did all of 11 miles in 2003); I biked
instead - 2300 miles worth. I saw a physiotherapist too and
she recommended an entirely different type of shoe. So with
10 months off running, regular cycling, a loss of 15 pounds,
new shoes, a new stretching regimen and no small amount of
anxiety I cautiously began running again in January (3 x 2-
miles on a treadmill per week). Gently I have increased this
and with the snow gone am now running outside and mixing in
cycling, too.

Goals: To run in good health 3x/week, to increase the
mileage slowly (<10%/week) and to bike twice a week. The
week that was:

Monday: Rest day Tuesday: Ran 3.26 miles (8:17/mile)
Wednesday: Biked 21.35 miles Thursday: Ran 3.26 miles
(8:20/mile) Friday: Rest day Saturday: Ran 5.51 miles
(8:27/mile) Sunday: Biked 19.27 miles

It's good to be back at it. Regards,

Paul

Training for Med-City Marathon, 5/30

Monday: 4.02 miles (37:18, 9:16/mi) + UB weight lifting

Tuesday:: 7.32 miles (1:08:06, 9:18/mi.)

Wednesday: 14.04 miles (2:11:01, 9:20/mi.) + UB weight
lifting

Thursday: Day off

Friday: 7.55 miles (1:11:10, 9:26/mi)+ UB weight lifting

Saturday: Day off

Sunday: 1 mile warm-up; 5K race (23:04, 7:26/mi); 1
mile cool down

Total 38.03 miles

marisa

Paul Steadman <[email protected]> wrote in news:4054C735.5040909@the-
wire.com:

> Well it's nice to be back here able to report a 'Training
> Week'. I
began
> running with some earnestness a little over two years ago
> (and logging in here often). After about three months,
> ended up with achilles tendonitis. After much RICE,
> different shoes, changed courses etc. I couldn't shake it;
> it flared up constantly.
>
> After 15 months of struggle, last year I decided no
> running for the entire summer (did all of 11 miles in
> 2003); I biked instead - 2300 miles worth. I saw a
> physiotherapist too and she recommended an
entirely
> different type of shoe. So with 10 months off running,
> regular cycling, a loss of 15 pounds, new shoes, a new
> stretching regimen and no small amount of anxiety I
> cautiously began running again in January (3 x 2-miles on
> a treadmill per week). Gently I have increased this and
> with the snow gone am now running outside and mixing in
> cycling, too.
>
> Goals: To run in good health 3x/week, to increase the
> mileage slowly (<10%/week) and to bike twice a week. The
> week that was:
>
> Monday: Rest day Tuesday: Ran 3.26 miles (8:17/mile)
> Wednesday: Biked 21.35 miles Thursday: Ran 3.26 miles
> (8:20/mile) Friday: Rest day Saturday: Ran 5.51 miles
> (8:27/mile) Sunday: Biked 19.27 miles
>
> It's good to be back at it.

Fantastic! This is great news. I think you've conquered the
most difficult task in being a runner - not running. It
looks like that was your only solution. Were you a cyclist
before your achilles tendonitis problems?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Phil

--
"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
-Walter Bagehot

Goals: I'll dream of a 2:55 in Boston. But I'll run for a 2:58. =)

M: dnr Tu: 9, 4x1.5 miles @5:52pace. Ended up having to do
these on a damn treadmill. Work and HS track practice
(at 5:30pm!) prevented me from getting these done on a
track. Bad: probably slightly easier on a TM. Good: No
slowing down and flying off the back of the TM put the
fear of god in me.
N: 8, ~7:15pace Th: 8, 15min @ 6:13pace, 10min @ 6:18 pace
tempo intervals. Really felt lousy and whimped out on
the last interval.
O: 10, ~7:00pace Sa: 3:, ~7:30pace Su: 9, 8k race in 29:47.
Don't know why I'm upset at the time, but sub 30:00 over
5 miles is a breakthrough for me. Blitzed the first mile
@5:41 and threw off the rest of the race.

Total: 47

Coming up: Last big long run next week (23), gotta make
*sure* to pace myself slow. Half in two weeks that I'm going
to run the first 7 at
OA. Final 10k in three weeks.

In article <[email protected]>, SwStudio wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

M 10.3 T 7.5 tempo intervals 1600m/200 rest 6:04/5:56/5:59 W
30 min xtraining,
7.9 intervals 4x1200 400 rest 4:08 4:08 4:10 4:13 T 8.7 F
30min xtraining S rest S Debut half marathon 1:21:49

Total: 47.5

Comments: intervals are going pretty well. Milage down a
tiny bit to make up for a few weeks of goign over goal
amount. The race went well, report later (too tired now)

Cheers,

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

I started off the week as recovery from the half marathon
race the day before (not to mention the one on the previous
weekend). Then it was the last little push of workouts that
will have some bearing, if much at all, on the ATB30k race
on March 28. Although I have already reduced my mileage,
this upcoming week will see a definite trend towards
shorter, faster (and fewer) workouts as taper mode truly
commences.

Monday 5km very easy, recovery (5:00/km), stretch

Tuesday off (ate vast amounts of food and sat around)

Wednesday 8km steady (4:04/km), 1km down, stretch

Thursday treadmill: (2min each @ 1% incline, 4% incline,
8% incline all @ 8mph) x 4, 3km up , 2km down, stretch
and weights

Friday 15km steady (3:58/km), 1km down

Saturday elliptical routine (2:00 'run' (cadence 70), 2:00
hands behind back (cadence 85), 2:00 hands behind back, eyes
closed(cadence 85)) x 4 treadmill: 2:00 (11.1mph) --->2:00
(8.1mph) x 8, 3km up, 2km down, stretch

Sunday 6km easy (4:20/km), stretch

Total: 58km

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people
down constantly."

> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

Mon - rest Tue - 7.0 easy @ 8:17/mi Wed - 9.0 LT @ 7:59, 4
up, 3 LT @ 7:30/mi, 2 down Thu - 7.2 easy @ 8:20/mi Fri -
rest Sat - 5.0 easy @ 8:32/mi Sun - 14.2 @ 8:32/mi
------------------
Week - 42.4 Year - 370

Training Goals: Continue to build endurance while adding
some LT paced running. Since in my area it is difficult to
find a continuous 1 to 3 mile stretch that has no hills, I'm
thinking of taking my LT run to the local high school track.
That way I can keep a steady pace/effort at my LT pace. 6
weeks until beginning a 24-week marathon training program.
I'm working on devising a plan that tops out at 63 MPW,
using the multi-speed approach as outlined in the book
"Advanced Marathoning" (Pfitzinger-Douglas).

Racing Goals:
7/11/04 - Wine Country Half Marathon, Napa Valley California
7/12/04 - LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon

Have a good week rec.runners.

Phil

---
"There's somebody at every dinner party who eats all the
celery." -Kin Hubbard

Man, I don't even hardly want to talk about it.

M 4.5
T .75 W DNR Th DNR F 1.5 S DNR S 5.5

Total = 12.25

Monday was just normal nightly run. I was going to do
intervals on Tuesday again, so I warmed up by walking the
dog around the loop for about a half an hour, noticing a
couple of squad cars along the way. When I get back to my
building to put the dog up and do my intervals (I figured
4X600 would be sufficiently conservative to keep Donovan off
my case) I saw that they had posted a notice on the door
announcing that in the past week there had been several
armed robberies in the complex and another one about a half
mile down the road. As I come back out, I notice a guy
walking down the drive from the main road. I pause in the
doorway, a bit nervous. He gets down to the mailbox at the
next building, then just turns right around and walks back
out to the main road. I give him a couple of minutes to get
out of sight, and then I start my first interval going
around the circle drive in the other direction, figuring I
won't get back to this side for another 7-8 minutes, plenty
of time for him to clear off, whoever he was. Except, when I
get up to the main road 7 minutes later, there he is again,
walking along the shoulder. Only about 100 yards from where
I had lost sight of him when I started the lap, so he had
obviously been wandering back and forth or up and down that
whole time. So now I'm really nervous and loop around back
to where the squad car was parked, but the officers are not
around. I decide to pack up my marbles and go home. And yes,
the guy did match the description on the flier, although we
have no shortage of 20-something 5'11" average build black
males around here.

I was just too nervous to run at night the rest of the week.
I don't know if armed robbers would mess with a woman
jogging around her own apt. complex at 10 pm. A smart person
would figure they probably aren't carrying cash, but I don't
know if they're smart enough, being armed robbers and all
that. So, after a couple of days of this chicken **** stuff,
I decided to try running in the morning at 6 am while the
kids are still asleep. Ugh. I walked a lap, felt really
stiff and lousy, ran one, felt lousy and hungry, and decided
to come in. Now, I run at 8 am many Saturdays and usually
feel fine, but I guess 6 am is a different kettle of fish.

Didn't run Saturday am, either--weather is better and BobG
has apparently decided to stop mollycoddling his lungs, so I
didn't have a convenient kid-watcher. The only good news of
the week is that I had a good 5.5 mile trail run Sunday, a
tad faster than I was able to that particular loop last time
I did it back in December (the fact that they chainsawed
some 20 fallen trees off the route helped), and yet felt
like the pace had been very easy and I could have kept going
if I had had the time.

The 6 am run was so miserable that I'd rather face an armed
robber, so I'll be back at the 10 pm runs next week.

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

> Weekly quote:
>
> "It is not the mountain we conquer, it is ourselves. If
> you can overcome your fear, you are frequently able to
> extend yourself far beyond what you normally regard as
> your ability." Sir Edmund Hillary
> cheers,

Goals: Bow Lake 15k in April, 1/2 Marathon in May, build
base for fall marathon

Monday: off Tuesday: 14mi (8:45 pace) Wednesday: 6mi (8:30
pace) Thursday: 6mi (8:10 pace) Friday: 10mi (8:30 pace)
Saturday: 4mi (8:28 pace) Sunday: 6mi club run (7:55 pace)
Total: 46 miles

Decided to add a 10 miler instead of increasing long run to
16. Four weeks til 15k race. Is a taper needed for a race
like this? If so how long, just a week?

Mark Mauro

Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> S Debut half marathon 1:21:49

> (...) The race went well, report later (too tired now)

You come from Australia, you live in New York - you wouldn´t
have been my first pick in a contest "Who´s going to make
the rec.running understatement of the year?"!

Anders

Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> S Debut half marathon 1:21:49

> (...) The race went well, report later (too tired now)

You come from Australia, you live in New York - you wouldn´t
have been my first pick in a contest "Who´s going to make
the rec.running understatement of the year?"!

Anders

sunday- total this week was 42 miles on Bike. (mt) in snow ice mud rain
and high winds alway below freezeing cold weather. let alto dirt roads.
total water mud wet and high winds and below freezeing temps. so They
might not be alto. 8 miles
monday- off
tuesday- 15 miles
wensday- 13 miles
thursday- 1 mile. fixing broken skipping chain.
friday- laundry and 6 miles or (total for week in bike miles ) 42
saturday-off back sore. went to hospital a couple weeks back.... more
from no belt sleep some and setting up universe sky gaze.backyard
beginer sky watch weight lifting. I know is weights smart.:>0???

Today:- liftng all and long walk maybe from pole barn . to
get alto from a to b. well skeleto re alignment. from too
much biking and a big bellie. 2 weeks back some. (well for
the miles I was doing and roads) today going to get weights
and bench from and got to get that stake out of middle of
floor in 6 person tent I found and set up.How much weights.
alto. outside set up. .......Next please........